Search This Blog

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Feeling LIke a Million Bucks (Comparatively Speaking)

I have to say, compared to the way I have been feeling over the last few months (actually, years), today I feel like a million bucks!  I woke up with only a little pain when standing up, which goes away after moving around a bit.  I have only a little residual pain in my upper back (so far), but otherwise I am feeling pretty good.  I feel amazingly energetic compared to the way I usually feel.  I had a few errands to run today and I actually felt like getting out and doing them.  I didn't have much pain with the walking I did.  The only thing I can "complain" about is my extremely dry mouth.  I guess I am just going to have to live with that.  I did take a dose of potassium and magnesium yesterday, in case I was low on those.

I was talking to my daughter when I got home.  I had cleaned the kitchen yesterday and she was cooking some meals for herself for the next few days.  I told her to be sure and leave the kitchen clean.  I could tell that kind of miffed her.  You see, she has always been far better about that kind of thing than me.  Although she does not clean the whole house much, she herself is fairly neat and tidy and keeps her room and bathroom that way.  I acknowledged that she was much better about that than me and I said that as I feel better, I will do better. And it is true.  In many ways I have not felt well for 35 years.  The headaches started up as a teenager and I was plagued with them throughout my early marriage.  They only grew worse as the years went by and then the other pain issues set in.  I am not going to say that is the only reason I was not a good housekeeper back then, but as the years went by and I matured, I think that became the reason why I did not do better than I did.  Going to work, keeping the kids fed, running around for their activities, etc. took all I had with the chronic headaches.  I am no longer afraid of working hard and I know as I feel better and better, that is going to get better.

Weight loss is slowing down.  If that were the reason I was doing this fast, I might be discouraged by that.  I am not doing this for the weight loss.  I am doing it to heal up pain issues and to remove the obstacles to losing weight when I am eating.  I have been eating the "right things" for the last months and I have been stuck for a while.  I know from my reading and what my functional medicine doctor told me that your body will not let go of fat unless it feels healthy enough to do so.  There are many hormonal things going on, and the fat you store is full of toxins and things that can inhibit weight loss.  I feel that when I do start eating again, my body will release fat much more readily.  And I think I will be able to eat a few more carbs (the right kind) when I start eating again.  (That would be a little sweet potato here and there, some beans and certain starchier vegetables.)

I am also hopeful that I will be able to add in some exercise (starting very slowly) after I am eating again.  I may add in a few minutes a day on the recumbent bike now because I think that would help my knees be less stiff, but I hope to be able to walk on the treadmill on an incline like I used to, and do some strength training once I am done with the fast.  I also want to finish strengthening my quads from the knee replacement, since I left therapy before I was released.  Then, everything I did stirred up back pain so I could hardly walk.  I made the choice to give it a break (I had regained range of motion, just needed to strengthen).  I have been getting stronger in that respect, just by living life, but there is more work that needs to be done.  I would like to get to riding my bike, too, for enjoyment and for exercise.  I am so looking forward to being able to do that.  I think more movement will help with any residual pain issues, as long as it is done wisely.  One other thing I would like to be able to do is climb stairs (and go down them) a little easier.  We had an emergency situation at work the other day (false alarm) where we were required to go down a few flights of stairs.  I couldn't do it.  I want to be able to do what is necessary when things like that arise.  You never know, one day I might be required to walk down all 25 flights.

So, I am going through my days (rather easily, really) and feeling better and better.  My plan right now is to go 42 days (at the most).  I will listen to my body and if I feel like it is time to stop, I will.  But I don't want to stop before this good work is done.  My body has plenty of reserves to live on for a good long while.  The main thing is to heal up these pain issues as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl