Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Encouraged and Hopeful

I felt better, physically, today.  The upper back pain was better, although started being aggravated a little by the end of the day.  I'm at home now, making use of the heating pad.

The amazing thing about this fast is that I have barely struggled with any hunger (the first 3-4 days, yes; but your hunger shuts down after that).  And I have really had very little thought of food and certainly have not been tempted to break the fast.  But today I have had my first thoughts of food.  I quickly turn those thoughts away and I still have no temptation to stop.

It seems like my pain is improving.  I got up and down today without having to stop to wait for the pain to flood over me before I take my first steps.  Those are always the most painful times.  But I was getting up and down without much thought today.  I still have other symptoms, like the feeling in my hips and thighs that makes me feel like I am walking through snow or deep sand.  But lots of improvement.  I struggled with sciatica pain when trying to go to sleep last night.  I was finally able to drop off.  It was better this morning and only had one little twinge today.

That being said, I guess it's time to tell you where I am in my fast.  This is Day 11.  My longest ever water fast.  I am going to let my body tell me when to stop.  I have lost a little more than 20 pounds so far.  (The larger you are, the more quickly you lose weight, at least at first.)  I seem to be losing an average of 2 pounds per day right now.  I started in the low 260s and have 2.2 pounds to lose to be in the 230s -- will be the first time since about 2002.  I need to be at about 210-215 to be able to have back surgery, if that became necessary, but I am really hopeful that it will not.

My energy is good throughout the day.  I actually had a long-time client come up to me and say, "I just wanted to tell you that you look particularly bright and lovely today."  I was thinking, "If you only knew why!"  When I get home and settle down to rest, reading or watching TV, I start nodding off.  I am not feeling any weakness going through my day-to-day activities, although I know that could change as I go along.  From what I have read, it takes your body less effort to burn your stores (fat, diseased tissues, etc.) than it does to digest food.  Especially unhealthy foods.  They get stuck in the intestines and putrify, leaking toxins into your system.  I have not been eating the average American diet, so I think there is less of that with me, but still a lot of toxins to be released from the fat tissue, etc.  Anyway, my energy is very good right now -- better than when I was eating.

The next two days I will be wearing dresses I bought a while back, but they were tight enough where I didn't feel comfortable enough to wear them yet.  I can now!  That part is pretty fun.  I have made an effort the last two or three months to dress up more and not be ashamed of my shape.  I have had good reaction from it.  My daughter also gave me some clothes today.  She has lost some weight and they are too big for her (although I would still be wearing them, if I were her; I wear my clothes until they are pretty loose since replacing them is quite expensive).  Anyway, it's fun to be wearing some new stuff.  :)

It just occurred to me that this coming weekend is my last one before we leave on vacation.  I will need to do the bulk of packing then, since I don't have a lot of time during the week.  I am pretty sure I am going to continue the fast, even on vacation.  I want to make sure I do a complete fast.  It's easier than having to start another at another time.  Then, hopefully, I can get to doing some exercise, strengthening my quads more (since my surgeries) and generally living life.

I gave a little thought today to doing some cooking when I feel like it and freezing individual meals for when I am eating again.  But I am afraid that will get me to thinking about food too much, so I'm not sure that's a good idea.  Maybe closer to time to breaking the fast.  I will think about it.  I am also not wanting to be looking at recipes, etc. to decide how I am going to eat then.  Too much thinking about food.  That will wait.

I want to reiterate that I do not expect that all of the weight I lose will stay off, but I do expect that the impediments to my losing weight will have been healed up so that the efforts I have been making over the last year will have better effect.  I also expect to feel better so I can do a better job of planning my meals and I know that will help.

I'm going to shut this down and get some things done before bed -- might go to bed a little early.  I should post some pictures soon, but want to get a little further along.  Maybe vacation pictures.  I am encouraged and hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl