Search This Blog

Thursday, July 28, 2016

Day 20 - Why I Am Doing This

Day 20 is almost in the books.  I can't believe it has been almost 3 weeks!

First off, I was able to sleep in the bed last night.  The sciatica pain that was shooting through my hip the last two nights, and had me sleeping in the recliner, seems to have righted itself.  Yay!

I continue to have upper back pain off and on.  And my neck is still sore.  I have been wondering more and more whether this is fast-related or just my normal aches and pains (although new ones seem to be cropping up).  I did some reading on a message board and it seems that others have had similar experiences.  Pain in areas they had not had before, but were fairly severe for a number of days.  So that makes me think it is fast related.

As for the neck, the area it is hurting would be the area where I had the fusion.  So it very well could be the body breaking down diseased tissue.  Surely I have scar tissue, and certainly I have had bone spurs in that area.

The upper back is an area I had been having recent trouble with, off and on.  It flares up more when I am working more hours and spending a lot of time at my desk.  I am sure there is diseased tissue there, too.  I will be interested to see how it feels next week when I will not have to sit at a desk for over a week.

I have so many problem areas in my body.  That is one reason I felt this fast needed to be extended.  I have to give it time for the areas to heal as much as possible.

I have been reading (and re-reading) more of Shelton's book (referenced in my post yesterday).  My body is doing just what you would expect.

Just as I was getting ready for work this morning and it was near time to walk out the door, my digestive system started feeling upset.  The bowels have pretty much shut down, but I have had random times I will slough off something.  Sorry for the TMI, but I want to document my experience in case others want to try this.  This morning's "sloughing off" was much more foul smelling and my stomach and colon felt more upset.  Shelton says that happens when the body is ridding itself of toxins that have been released into the bloodstream after breaking them down out of the muscles and fat, etc.  After the sloughing off was done, I felt better.

Not that weight loss is the immediate goal here, but I am now down below 235.  I could possibly be in the 220's next week!  I try not to celebrate that too much in my mind, because I know some will be put back on, but I do believe a lot of it will stay off as long as I am eating as I should when I break the fast.

In case anyone is interested (or wonders what the heck I am doing), here is an excerpt from Shelton's book on the benefits of fasting (from the chapter "Does Fasting Cure 'Disease?'"):

1.  It gives the vital organs a complete rest.

2.  It stops the intake of foods that decompose in the intestines and further poison the body.

3.  It empties the digestive tract and disposes of putrefactive bacteria.

4.  It gives the organs of elimination an opportunity to catch up with their work and promotes elimination.

5.  It re-establishes normal physiological chemistry and normal secretions.

6.  It promotes the breaking down and absorption of exudates (a mass of cells and fluid that has seeped out of blood vessels or an organ, especially in inflammation), effusions (an instance of giving off something such as a liquid, light, or smell), deposits, "diseased" tissues, and abnormal growths.

7.  It restores a youthful condition of the cells and tissues and rejuvenates the body.

8.  It permits the conservation and re-canalization (the formation of canals) of energy.

9.  It increases the powers of digestion and assimilation.

10.  It clears and strengthens the mind.

11.  It improves function throughout the body.

Shelton's book was written in the 1930s.  Think of all the ways our environment has become infinitely more toxic since then.  It is no wonder our bodies cannot keep up and we become diseased as a result.  Fasting gives your body the chance to right itself  It does not cure disease.  "To sum up, fasting, by affording the organs of the body a rest, by withholding raw materials and by stopping the inflow of decomposition-poisons from the alvine canal (intestines), permits the repair and recuperation of the organs of the body, the consumption of a burdensome nutritive excess, the removal of circulating and deposited toxins, the normalization of blood chemistry, cellular and tissue rejuvenation, the absorption of deposits, exudates, effusions and growths, and improves the body's powers of digestion and assimilation."

That, my friends, is why I am doing this.  And as my body chemistry returns to normal, all of the impediments to my losing weight should have righted themselves as long as I no longer fill my body with toxic food.  I will practice intermittent short fasts to help cleanse on a regular basis so there is no buildup of toxins in the future, which would send me right back where I started.

That's it.  Day 20 is done.  I'm going to bed.  Tomorrow is the last day before vacation!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl