Search This Blog

Friday, July 24, 2015

Committed to the Process

I haven't meant to wait so long between posts, but just haven't sat down to get anything down.  I need to take a short break from what I am doing, so I will try to make this short.


I have stayed on track pretty well with the program outlined in my last post, prescribed by the functional medicine doctor.  The worst thing I have done is one night all I had to eat that was cooked and/or not frozen was some chicken breast.  I had already had it several times and I just could not face it one more time.  So I put a little barbecue sauce on it.  That was after I had completed 2 weeks on the plan.  I have run out of the supplements the doctor gave me (but still have a lot more I am taking on an ongoing basis), but my appointment is not until next Tuesday, so I am still following the eating plan.


It has been tough, in some ways, because it is very restrictive.  The toughest thing is, you cannot just grab something at a restaurant because usually it is going to have something in it you cannot eat.  So I have had to cook every single meal I have eaten in the last 3 weeks.  So, lots of cooking, and consequently, lots of cleaning up.  One of the things I miss the most?  Peppers.  They add so much more flavor to things.


In some ways I am discouraged and in some ways I am doing very well.  I am discouraged because the diet is restrictive and I am not seeing any results.  As in I am not losing any weight.  But she said I probably would not during this phase.  That does not mean it is not doing what it is supposed to, which is heal my "leaky gut."  I do feel better in some ways.  But I am ready to get to some weight loss.  I had my blood tests done (to check my thyroid, among other things), but my doctor has been on vacation so don't know the results.  I have an appointment on Tuesday, the 28th.  Hopefully they will find the issue with the thyroid (that sounds funny, but finding an issue means they can help me), get me on some medication, and get this body working more like it should.


My daughter has been gone for pretty much a whole month and I have been spending a lot of time alone.  I don't mind that, but it is getting a little old.  I don't have a car right now and I don't feel like getting out much -- or making the effort to make some friends so I have someone to get out with.  That is one reason I feel so anxious to get things "fixed."  I want to get to living life.


One improvement I do see is I find myself up and around and doing more than I was -- not because of improvement in pain, so much, although that has been better, but because I am starting to have a little more energy.  I am staying busier at home, consistently, more than I used to, and I have been coming in to work early to work on cleaning out my file room and getting my area organized.  As far as pain, the knee injections have worn off during the last week, so the pain is building there.  The back issues are still some better, but I can tell that is returning too.  Of course we knew it would and I am so thankful to have the few weeks of respite.


I'm not sure when surgery is going to happen.  It may not be until November because I may not have anyone to help me at home in the near future and we have a trial specially set for November 9, so being out during the buildup for that is probably impossible.  So right after November 9 might be when it happens.  Then I would be out for most of the rest of the year.


I do believe that at this time next year, things will be much different for me.  It's just the getting there.  But I am committed to the process and I believe it will happen.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl