Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Happy Birthday to Me -- The Big Double-Nickel


Well, today I am 55 years old.  I hope for big changes in the coming year.  It has to get better….

I am now reading Wheat Belly Total Health, which is the follow-up book to Wheat Belly.  I am convinced I am on the right track.

I have to admit something.  I am having more headaches than I would like.  Most are much milder than they had been, but I am still having them too often.  Given that they have decreased greatly since removing wheat from my diet, I do not think the answer is that that was not the answer (or at least a huge part of it).  I have two theories as to why I am still having them as much as I am.  Dr. Davis makes it clear that it will take a while to reverse the negative effects of wheat consumption and the destruction it has had on your body.  I am a person who obviously had/has a lot of inflammation.  So I think it is likely that it will just take some time for this process to have its full effect.  The longer I do what I need to do, the more my body will heal, the more inflammation will decrease and the less headaches I will have.

The other theory, which could be part of the other one, is that there is another food I am eating that also contributes to headaches (which there is no dispute are caused by inflammation).  It could be dairy.  I may have to remove that from my diet if I am to become headache-free.  Or some other food, like cured meat (although I did not eat enough of that before now for that to be the life-long culprit).  I would like to fast a couple of days, at some point, and if this continues, I will add back suspected foods one at a time and see what effect they have.  In the meantime, maybe I will try a couple of days without dairy (when I do not have pre-prepared foods that contain it) and see how I feel.  I have a pretty intense headache today, compared to how it has been, and it could be something I ate last night.

I made a cheesecake for my birthday.  The recipe is from the Wheat Belly book.  It has no grain or gluten in it, so that is not it.  It does have a lot of dairy, though (cream cheese, sour cream).  Another culprit could be sucralose.  He says sucralose is not so damaging as other artificial sweeteners, such as aspartame and saccharine.  I have had better luck with it than with stevia on getting the taste to be pleasing, so that is what I used in the cheesecake.  I also am still drinking SF Monsters, which have sucralose.  Getting off of those is coming, but I wanted to get past my sugar withdrawal first.  One thing at a time.  Looking up sucralose, that may be the culprit.  So I may have to move up my getting off the Monsters and always use stevia instead of sucralose for a treat.  Now that I have gotten a degree of freedom from the headaches, when I do get one, it feels like more of an affront.  THEY ARE MOST UNWELCOME.

No changes on pain levels.  Not so much the bad sciatic pain today as the all-over fibromyalgia pain.  I don’t like that because I hurt more just sitting in the chair.  The other, at least it mostly hurts when I’m on my feet (unless it is getting really bad).  This afternoon has felt like a desperate search to ease pain.  I took my pain med.  Still hurting.  I feel all tight all over, so I took my muscle relaxant.  Still hurting.  I took an anti-inflammatory to help with inflammation.  We will see.  I just want to lay down and not have to think about it so much.  About an hour more and I can go home.  I am so over this.

I’m not doing anything special for my birthday, that I know of.  Maybe over the weekend.  My kids are low on money.  My boss was generous, as usual.  Honestly, I might use what he gave me to pay off the small remaining balance on a credit card.  I have a goal to get out of debt as soon as possible.  My son has been borrowing my car for a long time and I finally told him, why didn’t he just start making payments to buy it from me.  To tell you the truth, the way it is looking, I don’t want to drive it anyway.  I walk (or now scooter) to work, and I live with my daughter, so most places I need to go, we do together or I use her car.  I plan to use the payments my son makes to save up for a down payment on another car.  As soon as I have the other debts paid off, I will use that down payment and get me a car with the smallest payments possible.  Then I will try to pay it off as quickly as possible.  I don’t need a new one.  I don’t drive much; I just need one I can depend on when I do need one.  Anyway, putting the BD money toward the cc balance will free up the $50 a month I have been paying on it to put toward paying down another balance.

Another motivation for me to get out of debt:  Ultimately, I want to eat organic foods only.  Right now, I find them more expensive than I can handle with my current financial status.  When I am out of debt, I will have plenty to work with and intend to go fully organic at that time.  The pesticides and chemicals I am exposed to could also be part of the lingering headaches.  We have paid a high price for civilization.  Not that it is all bad.  But it is not all good, either.  All I know is, I want to do everything I can to feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl