This is the post I referred to yesterday that would “catch you up” on some things.
Friday, June 19
I had to read over my last post so I made sure I “catch you up” accurately on what is going on. Last Wednesday (June 17), I went to the knee doctor. I still could not get him focused on the right knee (which I believe is injured). He chalks it up to severe arthritis, as in the other knee. I am not sure that there is not a torn ligament involved or something, so I plan to a get a second opinion. But here’s the thing. He says I need knee replacements in both knees. If that is the case, does it make whatever is going on in the right knee moot? If it was a torn meniscus or something, I could see that. But would a torn ligament affect being able to get a knee replacement? That is why I want to make sure whether there is something like that going on.
That being said, if there is nothing else going on in the right knee, knee replacement should go forward sometime after the end of July, which is when I get more vacation days, etc. I have been reading about it and I am going to push for bilateral knee replacement (both knees at the same time). I am going to have to get both of them done, and I would rather get them both done and over with at the same time. It is too hard for me to take that long off of work to do them one at a time, and doing both at once is not “twice as hard” as doing just one. Unless I read something to change my mind, that is what I want to do. Get all the struggle over with at once and get back to feeling altogether better as far as my knees are concerned.
The doctor said after the surgery, they would make the determination as to whether to do the first part of my rehabilitation at home or move me to a rehabilitation facility for a week or so. That is what I want to do. I do not have enough support at home (yes, I live with my daughter, but she is having her own physical issues, trying to work full-time (she cannot afford, in more ways than one, to take off work), maintain a social life, etc., and I think it would be better to do the first part at a rehabilitation facility. Otherwise, I am going to be doing it pretty much on my own. Then, when I get through the hardest part (the first week or so), I can go home and finish my rehabilitation.
I have had a lot of thoughts going through my mind – like what about the sciatica, and the fact that I am this much overweight. Although those things do affect recovery from surgery, they also affect me right now. I am already in greatly increased pain with more difficulty moving around because of these things. I think getting both knees feeling better will only help. I would have to take a week or two longer to recover, but that is less time than taking off two different times to recover from one knee each time. Plus I will not have to try to meet another deductible, etc. Let’s just do it.
As far as weight loss goes, I have not gotten on the scale, but I feel like my clothes are beginning to loosen a bit. I still have the appointment with the functional medicine doctor on July 2, so hopefully any impediments can be improved at that time and the weight will start coming off. According to Dr. Davis (Wheat Belly), I will lose weight whether I get a lot of exercise or not.
Since having the steroid shots to my knees on Wednesday, I have been starving! And I have another epidural one next Tuesday (of course, I have now had this). I am ready for that part to settle down. I have had a little sugar, but no wheat. The steroids also seem to be giving me a headache, but it’s hard to tell…. My head still hurts more than I want it to. I need to get to the bottom of that.
It was a rough weekend, in many ways. Our a/c went out on us yesterday, so I spent the night without (in Texas, that is no bueno!). My daughter babysat four children and they spent the night at our loft Saturday night. They are a handful. I left it to her, but it did not make the atmosphere very restful a lot of the time.
On top of that, I had a very.bad.headache yesterday. I do not know why. I did not take what I have been taking for it (which is BC powder or Excedrin) because I cannot have any aspirin before my epidural injection. Plus I have been reading about the damage NSAIDs do to your gut (of course I knew that, to a certain extent), which can affect everything, including inflammation, so you could actually be adding to your pain by taking them. I decided I was going to suffer it out. Of course, BC powder and Excedrin have caffeine in them, so I thought that might be it. I drank something with caffeine last night, just to make sure, but it did not help. My head pounded until I went to sleep. I still have one today, though not nearly as bad this morning.
My pain levels, in general, are up today. I am trying to treat it through natural means, as much as possible. I was reading that I should be taking my Omega 3 supplement, once in the morning and once before dinner to help inflammation issues through the day. I am also taking Turmeric Curcumin, which is supposed to help inflammation. But I am still hurting all over. I am so ready to get to the bottom of this.
I did not do a lot of cooking this weekend, as I usually do, just because I did not feel up to it. I will do the best I can with what I can get around here. Probably a Potbelly salad.
July 2 (when I see the functional medicine doctor) cannot come soon enough. I am so ready to get to the bottom of some things. One thing I have been wondering about is if I have thyroid issues. One of the main symptoms you see when you are low on thyroid is cold hands and feet all the time, and I really do not have that problem. So I was thinking, maybe that is not a problem. However, I found a questionnaire online yesterday, and by my answers to that, I scored 22 out of 100 in thyroid functioning. That means it is quite low. I am also wondering about hormonal issues. Losing weight got very difficult after menopause, and it has gotten almost impossible since my hysterectomy, so I think there has to be some issues there. I just want to get started on getting things running like they are supposed to.
As far as my eating goes, my main issue is I am still eating some sugar here and there (though never with wheat). I think the reason for that is my discouragement over making no progress. So there is another reason to get to July 2. In the meantime, I am going to do my best to stay away from sugar. I am not having problems with wheat.
Wednesday, June 24
So, that is where I had gotten to before yesterday’s post. Of course, after I wrote this yesterday, I had a meltdown and my day went downhill from there.
As far as today, I feel cautiously optimistic that the injection yesterday helped. It won’t last forever, but at least I feel like I am getting a break from the really bad, unrelenting pain in both knees and the radiating pain from my back. I might have to have one more epidural for my back in the middle of it all, but if it could keep my back feeling better during knee replacement recovery, that would help immensely.
By then, hopefully we will be to the bottom of why my weight has not been moving and can get it moving so I can get my back issues addressed (if necessary). I feel like it is pretty likely I will still need something done there, but am hopefully it can be done with a laser technique, and then complete my weight loss and hopefully that is all I will ever need.
I feel somewhat triumphant that there have been no tears yet today. Some watery eyes earlier, but no tears. I think that has been part of the headache issue the last couple of days. Plus I seem to be having some allergy issues (nose running, etc.).
I’m going to get this posted, once and for all. Over and out.