Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Things Are Going Pretty Well...Yawn


Just to share a little progress and things I am learning.

I have tried to be very careful about wheat consumption (and to a lesser degree, sugar consumption) since my last post.  And I have done really well.  No headaches!!  One side effect is that I have been extremely sleepy.  Not so much tired as sleepy.  I have energy if I get up and do stuff, but if I sit down and get still (even at work), I feel like I could drop off at any moment.  It is a side effect of wheat withdrawal, I have read.  Hopefully it will pass soon.  However, it hit me this morning, I am probably not eating enough carbs.  Just because I do not eat wheat does not mean I cannot eat carbs.  I had some melon in the refrigerator, so I ate that mid-morning and maybe started to feel a little perkier.  I didn’t bring any lunch from home, so I thought I should get something that includes some non-wheat carbs, so I did.  We have a place in our food court called Kuai Asian Fusion.  I checked out their menu before going down, to make sure they had gluten free options.  They did, so I got the small Thai Chicken bowl, which has a red curry sauce.  I got that with brown rice.  They had some condiments you could get and chose some chopped scallions to put on mine.  Delicious!  Funny – I used to wouldn’t go to this place because I didn’t think you got enough food for the money.  The small bowl was $6.50 and it was plenty, plenty for me.  And their ingredients are organic, so it is a healthy choice.  (Probably another reason I wouldn’t go there when I wasn’t in the zone – in my mind, healthy =’d undesirable because it would be bland and tasteless.  Boy, was I wrong.  This was really good!  Let’s see if the carbs perk me up.  I had visions of getting some peanut M&M’s (a candy on the low end of the glycemic index), but didn’t.  Yay me!

I am feeling quite well physically, except the sciatic nerve on my right side is still flared up.  It makes it difficult to find a comfortable sleeping position, and when I wake up and move – ouchies.  I am hoping it is just a flare-up and it will settle down soon.

Weight-wise, I am not showing much of a difference yet.  However, I think I am beginning to see a redistribution of things when I look in the mirror.  I see less fat in the area below my breasts.  As for weight loss, I think it is just one of those things that will show up when it wants to.  I can tell I am losing fat.  And weight loss is becoming almost secondary to me.  I feel so much better physically and mentally, I would keep doing this just for that reason.

I was reading a blog yesterday that was critical of the Wheat Belly “diet fad.”  I never thought of the information in the Wheat Belly book as a typical weight loss book.  I started reading it because someone told me it might help my headaches.  When I tried it a few days, I was feeling so much better, I knew I wanted to continue with it (minus the vacation in the middle).  This is definitely a lifestyle, not a diet.  There are still changes to be made, but I am well on my way.  Anyway, although the blog was critical of the book, all of the comments shot the author down.  Everyone talked about all the improvements in their health from going wheat-free.  Some of them I am already experiencing.  Some of them are things I need to see, like reduced pain in knees, hips and back, and fibromyalgia pain.  I hope I will see significant improvement in those areas as soon as possible.

Time to go home, so I will close.  Sure will be glad when I get past this sleep stage.  Yawn….

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl