Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Just Updating


Okay, a little updating.

I’ve made some FB posts lately about how much better I am feeling (and I am!), but then later some issues will crop up and I feel like I am sounding overly optimistic in my posts.  I really do not think that is the case.

The last couple of days have been outside of my ordinary routine in a couple of ways.  Monday was my daughter’s birthday, so we went out to eat at a Mexican restaurant (Stephanie’s choice) and back to my cousin’s house for birthday cake, etc.  This week is Administrative Professional’s Week, and yesterday my employer treated me and some other co-workers to a meal at a nice restaurant.  I had forgotten yesterday was “the day” and had not prepared much ahead of time.

For my daughter’s birthday dinner, I knew what I wanted.  We had eaten there once before and someone else had gotten the chili relleno and I knew then, that was what I wanted to get the next time.  So I did.  The meal consisted of the chili relleno (a poblano pepper stuffed with a mixture of beef and cheese, etc., with some type of breading and deep fried).  The breading looked more of the cornmeal type, but I am sure there was some wheat involved.  It came with rice and beans.  I was intending to substitute what they called a jalapeno slaw for the rice and beans, but forgot to do that.  So I just ate the chili relleno and left the rice and beans.  I did eat a few chips (I hope made from corn, but maybe not) with some queso blanco.  (Really, I am pretty sure the corn is almost as bad as the wheat.)  Anyway, I know that was way more carbs than I needed to be eating, and likely some wheat in there somewhere.  I won’t say I did the best I could, but I certainly didn’t do the worst I could.  We went back to have the cake, etc. and I did not eat any cake or cookies.  I did have some ice cream.  No wheat (or not much – there could have been some additives), but still way too many carbs.

The next morning, yesterday morning, I felt like I had a hangover.  I was sluggish and headachy.  Then they came to get me to leave for lunch.

These Administrative Professionals Day lunches are a time when you go to a nice restaurant and you take advantage of trying everything you want, because it is on the boss’s dime.  J  I was trying to be reasonable.  For our table, we ordered the deviled eggs (good for me) and another party ordered what were called “steak egg rolls.”  I did eat a half of one of those small egg rolls, but just ate the meat and cheese filling and peeled off the egg roll wrapper.  Their soup special for the day was cream of cauliflower.  I wanted to try it, but I didn’t want much.  So a coworker and I ordered a cup and split it.  It was delicious!  I was hoping it was cream based and not roux based – it tasted cream based, but who knows?  My entrée was a rib eye steak with some lobster chunks on top.  It came with a kind of orzo pasta dish and I asked them to substitute in cheesy poblano potatoes instead.  They got that wrong and brought me just plain mashed potatoes.  Just as well; I didn’t need the carbs.  I ate just 3-4 small bites of the potatoes, which I can technically have, I just need to keep my carbs low.  Then it was time for dessert.  I should have just skipped it.  I thought about just getting some ice cream, but I ended up getting cheesecake, but I did not eat the crust (where most of the wheat would be).  But I certainly did not need that sugar.

So, all in all, I was trying to make better “no wheat/gluten” choices, but I could have eaten cleaner.  I had a mild headache at times during the afternoon.  I ate clean for dinner (a Monterrey chicken breast and some broccoli rabe).  I wasn’t very hungry, so ate maybe half of it and put the rest up to have at lunch sometime.  The chicken was delicious (and I worked really hard on it to get it just perfect), but I just wasn’t hungry enough.

So, I didn’t feel as well as I did a lot of the time last week because I wasn’t eating as cleanly.  However, I did notice one thing.  Despite my challenges the last couple of days, when I got home, I had more energy and was more in the mood to do things around the house than I usually am after work.  I don’t know how to describe it.  It is like when I eat cleanly (as in no wheat/gluten), not only does it take care of the headaches, but it’s like a cloud lifts.  I was actually quite tired when I got home and the house was kind of a mess because I did a lot of cooking Sunday and didn’t have time to get everything all spiffied up again, and then we were gone with Stephanie’s party Monday night.  So I was feeling frustrated with the mess and wanted to get it done, even though I was tired (from all the cooking, etc. over the weekend and then staying out for the party the night before, plus I’m still catching up from vacation).  So even though I am tired, I still feel different.  I want to get things done.  I almost feel like a different person.  My attitude toward myself is changing.  I am developing more of an attitude of “To thine own self be true.”  I cleaned the house because I wanted a clean house to live in (even though I think my daughter should have done more of it, because I did all the cooking, which is for her benefit too).

I have had these feelings lately of not wanting to feel apologetic for who I am anymore, like I have felt my whole life.  I think part of it is just continuing healing I am going through, but I also think removing the wheat/gluten is having an effect.  Wheat sensitivity is linked to depression and I do feel different.  Like I said, it is like a cloud has lifted.  I FEEL DIFFERENT.  We will see.  But I am certainly liking it.

Now, back to the feeling of being a little over-optimistic sounding in my posts.  My back is hurting moderately, as well as sciatic pain down my right leg.  The headaches are definitely better, but I am struggling with the back thing right now.  I did so well on my trip, but now….  Then I remembered.  I took the steroid on the trip to help out with that.  The last time I did that was when I moved from my old loft to my new one.  I knew I would need to be on my feet a lot and lift a moderate amount (although I tried to be careful), so I asked the doctor to put me on a steroid and she did and it helped a lot.  But after it had worn off, I was worse than I had ever been (too much heavy lifting) and eventually got to where I had to have the back surgery in early 2014.  In some ways, being on the steroid may have led to that because I did more than I otherwise would have been able to do during the move.  It’s the same kind of scenario here – I did a LOT of walking.  I doubt I did any damage, but I do think I am feeling the effects of having done that.  Now that the steroid has worn off, I am feeling like I overdid.  It will just take a while for things to settle down, I think.  Sigh.  But I am glad I at least got to enjoy my vacation to the degree I did.  However, right now I just want to wave a magic wand and make the pain go away.  I got spoiled to feeling better and I don’t like this.  I don’t like it at all.  Hopefully in a week, the way I am feeling from overdoing will have improved (I am trying to use ice packs often to help with inflammation, etc.).  And I know that the more I eat cleanly, the more the inflammation is going to settle down and that will make me feel better.

I am going to work on the wheat/gluten part a couple of more weeks before starting the next thing, which will be sugar.  However, after yesterday, I’m going to do much better even before then.  I need to not any table sugar, and the more “healthy” sugars need to be only once in a while.  After that, I have to get off the SF Monsters.  Any kind of carbonation causes acid in the body, which leads to inflammation (among other things I cannot recall right now).  So I know the time is coming for that.  I’m just trying to take one step at a time.  I don’t want to fall off the wagon because I try to do too much at one time.

By the way, this week for Administrative Professionals Week, each morning there has been goodies.  Monday there were cookies; Tuesday there were muffins, etc.; today there were donuts and kolaches.  I have not eaten one of them.  I haven’t really been tempted – it’s not worth a bad headache.

I’m going to close this now.  I keep trying to proof it and I fall asleep.  Lol!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you were spoiled for Admin Day! You know what I got? Nothing. My boss walked in and said "I heard it was Admin day on the radio" then walked right into her office and got on a phone call. My other boss got in, said she's had a rough morning and "needed a hot coffee right away" and that was about it! I've been eating more protein at meals and I do think it helps me from even thinking about food in between meals.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl