Search This Blog

Friday, September 5, 2014

A Good Start

Yesterday was a busy and tiring day, so I didn’t get a chance to post.  I went to my four doctor’s appointments, which were spread out from north to south over the Dallas side of the Metroplex.  The timing of the appointments worked out great, but I didn’t have a chance to eat in between so I went from breakfast to 3:00 in the afternoon before I got a chance to eat anything.  I stopped on my way to my 4th appointment and got a cheese stick and a beef jerky stick to tide me over (it was a low carb day).
Everything went pretty much as expected:
1.      First I went to the podiatrist for my Achilles tendonitis problem.  I do not have to go back in the boot (which I was kind of expecting), but I have to do physical therapy and wear this elastic sleeve with a gel pad that cushions the back of my heel and holds the tendon close to the bone (which helps with pain).  He said the results of my x-rays were that I had a bone spur on the back bottom part of my heel and one in the area at the back of my heel where the tendon hurts the most.  I asked him if a cortisone shot was advisable and he said it was not because those tend to weaken the tendon and can cause it rupture.  I am not to be doing much walking, and certainly not walking on a treadmill or stair climber or that type of thing.  Swimming and recumbent bike is all he recommended.  He said these things can be difficult to clear up.

2.      Next I went to my back doctor.  Everything is going okay, except my weight gain has increased my back pain.  The main thing that came from that appointment is she told me the laws for pain medicines like I take (Norco) are changing and you now have to have a paper prescription in triplicate for every refill and therefore refills cannot be called in anymore (starting sometime next month).  Since having all of her patients come in once a month for medication authorization would flood her practice so that she had no time to see post-op patients, she is referring me to a pain management doctor.  She does know that the pain meds are necessary at this point, so that was not a problem (I would not be functioning without them at this point).  So I am going to a pain management specialist close to downtown, since I will be having to go once a month.

3.      Next was the doctor for my knees and shoulders.  We didn’t talk much about my knee.  I probably could have pushed for an injection in my left knee, but didn’t.  I did get injections in both shoulders.  He said it is likely tendonitis.  He also referred me to physical therapy, which I will have to do twice a week for 6-8 weeks.  He said it should clear up.  If not, then they will do an MRI to make sure there is no tear or anything like that.  He said I had no arthritis in my shoulders, which is good.

4.      Last was my internist.  We talked about my HRT since my hysterectomy, my depression, and my Fibromyalgia.  I got my refill on the HRT, she prescribed a second antidepressant (Welbutrin) which will help the first work a little better.  She said the Fibromyalgia will mostly be helped by working on my eating habits and getting some exercise and working on my stress and anxiety (although I don’t feel anxiety is much of a problem).  Stress, yes.  I was fine with that.  I do NOT want to take Lyrica or any of the other drugs they use for Fibromyalgia.  I do think I am going to try a couple of supplements, including 5-HTP, which are said to help.
So, that was my day yesterday.  When I got home, I had a steak salad made with lettuce, pico de gallo, fajita steak, a little cheese and some chipotle vinaigrette.  I was a little hungry before bedtime, so had a few bites of non-fat cottage cheese.
I got on the scale this morning and I am showing somewhere around a 9-pound weight loss so far.  Yay!  So nice to be going in the right direction again.  I know that is mostly water weight, but I will take it.  It shows I am doing what I need to do.  Even though I got started on Tuesday, my weeks are going to be Saturday to Saturday, so I will have my off-day sometime this weekend.  It works better for me to do it on the weekend.
Today is a high carb day.  Breakfast was the egg muffins I had Wednesday and some watermelon.  Morning snack (which I didn’t get to until 11:00) was some Greek yogurt.  I don’t want to push my lunch back to 2:00, so I will just leave it at that.
Lunch was some steak fajitas.  I didn't get to eat my afternoon meal until almost 6:00.  Dinner was some more fajita steak (too tired to cook anything new) and a sweet potato.
My head pounded all day with little letup, so I'm going to let it go at that today.  It's a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl