Search This Blog

Friday, July 11, 2014

More Than Meets the Eye?

I was walking home last night, and the thought hit me, maybe my struggles of the last few months have more to do with hormones since my hysterectomy than I realize.

I know the two weeks following the surgery, I felt like a basket case.  I was extremely emotional and cried at the drop of a hat.  Since getting on the estrogen (HRT), things improved, but I have still struggled significantly since then, in many ways.  I am depressed, apathetic and certain pain levels have increased.

I really had not thought of this.  I just thought it was my same old struggles and was pretty critical (to put it mildly) of myself for not being able to adjust my behavior after so long.  But now I am wondering if there is more to this than meets the eye.  Maybe there is something underlying that somewhat explains all this.  I have to admit, that thought brings a degree of comfort.

I did a little reading last night and found that some of my symptoms can be explained by hormonal imbalance.  Even the pain in my joints.  I jokingly told my daughter the other day that maybe if I got injections in almost every joint in my body, I would feel a little better.  Pain levels have been way up, and I have been chalking it up to weight gain.  I am sure that is part of it, but maybe there is more to it than that.  From my reading, if my testosterone and progesterone levels are too low, it can cause a lot of these symptoms.  Low testosterone levels can cause depression, lack of energy and joint pain.  I think I remember that progesterone can be part of the problem too.

Weight gain is also common after a hysterectomy.  My thoughts about that were that my weight gain can be totally explained by my eating.  But maybe that is the case with others who gain weight after a hysterectomy.  Maybe they struggle with cravings and eating too much because of hormone imbalance.  I don't know.

I probably need to go to the doctor and talk to her about this.  I am not looking forward to that, because I don't want to go anywhere near the scale, but I may have to, to start feeling better.  I'm not sure I can deal with this without help.

Has anyone had personal experience with this, or know someone who has?  I just know that things in my mind and emotions have been way different since the surgery, and maybe there is more of a physical explanation for that than I realized.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't known anyone personally deal with hormonal imbalance, but just doing a quick google search there seems to be medications out there that can help! Totally worth going to the doctor - and FYI - you don't have to know how much you weigh.

    Tell the nurse to cover the numbers and not tell you - they are more than happy to keep that info to themselves for your chart!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never dealt with what you have, but like the person above me that commented, it may be a good idea to do a google search or even find online groups to talk to people that are dealing with the same issue.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl