Search This Blog

Monday, March 24, 2014

Trying to Get Back To It


I messed around last week and didn’t follow through on getting off sugar, etc.  I was inordinately tired and I used that as an excuse.  I do feel better today, after trying to rest up more over the weekend, but regardless, I need to stop using that as an excuse.  Today is the day.

 

It is 1:45 p.m., and so far today I have done what I intended.  I am feeling a little “porky” right now.  I’m pretty sure I’ve put on some weight the last two weeks with the sweets I have been eating.  I want to nip that weight gain in the bud, so I am drinking Atkins shakes at least some of the time.  It is also a method I use to get off of sugar.  I have had a shake for breakfast and one for lunch, and have one available for mid-afternoon, if I need it.  I am supplementing it with some fruit, a few almonds, and some celery.  If I need to eat a little more of other things while I ward off the sugar cravings, I will do that, but I am trying to hold it in check.  So far I am okay.  I will eat a regular low carb dinner.  The plan is stuffed pork chops and some kind of veggie – probably roasted Brussels sprouts.

 

I went to church yesterday (for the first time in many weeks).  My daughter went with me for the first time.  We walked, since it is right downtown and we can walk in less time than it takes to get out of a parking garage.  Anyway, we were running a little later than we wanted, so we were hurrying.  I was having to work to keep up with my daughter and I was getting very out of breath.  It let me know how out of shape I have gotten.  I am not being critical of myself.  It is understandable, since my back issues and then recovery from the two surgeries has kept me from doing much of anything in a while.

 

My plan this week is just to do something every day.  It may be just walking my dog, but I want to just get up and move more.  There is time to get back to “real” workouts.  I can build up to those.  I don’t want to do too much too soon.  Since it was pretty nippy this morning, but is supposed to be quite warm this afternoon, I decided today I would walk my dog for 30 minutes after work.  My dog can use it and so can I.  Although it was not part of planned exercise, I got some yesterday with walking to church and back.  I have also been doing more chores the last 3 days, trying to get my loft back in shape after the mess from the wedding (we brought a lot of stuff in and just dumped it and Steph and I were both too exhausted last week to get it all put away).  That’s what I did this morning – I did at least 30 minutes worth of chores.  I think that, coupled with my eating plan, should have good results for me.  I haven’t faced the scale, so I won’t be able to tell how much I lose.  I want to give myself a couple of weeks of getting back on track before I face it.

 

There are some things in my life I have been thinking about.  A couple of things I want to overcome, some things I want to not just plan to do in the future, but actually get to the doing it, and other ways I want to move forward in my life.  I spend my time making plans for the future and things keep getting put off so that I am not really living life, just planning to live it (if that makes sense).

 

One thing I want to overcome once and for all is my phone phobia.  I hate to talk on the phone, but it is not just that – I kind of have a phobia of it.  So much that I don’t do things that need to be done because of it.  I think the phobia comes from the fact that I associated the phone with bad news for many years.  It seemed like every time the phone rang, someone was telling me something bad that happened (usually related to my son being in trouble at the time).  Whatever caused it, there is no reason for it now and I need to “just get over it.”  Time to nip it in the bud.  I just have to face it when it comes up and do what I need to do, even if it makes me uncomfortable.

 

One thing I have wanted to do in my weight loss/fitness efforts is to participate in some events.  I think it is time to do that.  I can do a 5k, even if it is just walking.  Our church is participating in some kind of walk/run event and one option is to do one mile.  That would be a challenge for me right now.  The event is in April, so I think I will do that one-mile walk.  I’m pretty sure I could plow through it even if I didn’t train for it, but I want to be able to walk it as quickly as possible without huffing and puffing so much.  So I am going to work on it.

 

The other way I want to move forward in my life is that I am ready to find a man.  I am never going to meet anyone if all I do is go to work and go home.  It’s time to branch out in my life.  I have gotten back to church, and I plan to participate in events our SS class plans.  There is a certain man I am interested in (I went out with him in December).  I don’t know if that is ever going to go anywhere (he lives in El Paso), but I wish it would.  Only time will tell.

 

I have made it through the afternoon okay, although I was hungry and I ate more almonds than I planned.  But today the only rules are no sweets.  As long as I do that, I will feel like I have accomplished something.

 

It has been a busy day and I have had to do a lot of walking back and forth to the conference room.  I did not take a lunch.  This is the first day I have worked through without taking a break since I have been back to work.  I’m tired, but I still want to do that 30-minute walk.  Hopefully I don’t have to stay much longer.  It’s 6:00.

 

That’s all for today.  I will report back tomorrow on how I did.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl