Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Back to the Real World and Wedding Coming Up

I was back to work starting yesterday, so time to get back to blogging.  I have not had weight loss on my mind much at all while recovering, so didn’t think much about blogging.  I am trying to get everything going again today.

My recovery has been good.  I am 13 days out from the hysterectomy and a little less than 3-1/2 weeks out from the back surgery.  Compared to what it was before, my back feels awesome.  I walked my dog for the first time since November yesterday morning.

The whole time I was off work, it was like all I wanted was sweets and I had no willpower at all.  I expected that I would have gained quite a bit.  Although I haven’t weighed, I haven’t felt like I have gained and when I put on my work clothes yesterday and this morning, they felt the same.  In fact, I am wearing a blouse I only recently got into (before surgeries) and it seems even a little looser.  Now that I am back to work, it’s like my willpower turned back on and, so far, I am back to business. J

We are counting down to my daughter’s wedding, which is this coming Sunday.  It has been extremely stressful, especially last week.  The girls were not getting along.  Beth thought Steph wasn’t helping her enough and Steph felt like Beth was being unreasonable.  I saw both “sides,” but I don’t think Beth realizes how much Steph has been doing, particularly for me while I was recovering.  And I think Steph could have been more willing to do whatever Beth needed help with, instead of just things she feels like she is good at.  I was extremely emotional last week (hormones).  I cried for days in a row.  I knew I was not being reasonable about what I was crying about, but I couldn’t make it stop.  I am now on HRT (estrogen), and am starting to feel a little better.

One of the big stressors for Bethany and Tom concerning the wedding is that they have been waiting on some money to come in.  Tom was taking money out of his 401(k), but based on what he was told, it might not get here until after the wedding.  However, I found out that his parents are helping him with a credit card, to be paid back when the money comes in.  So that is a big load lifted.  I (thanks to my boss), am able to offer some help too, but am waiting on an AFLAC check to come in.  It could come any day.  If it does not come by Friday, I will use money from my paycheck and cover bills with the AFLAC money.  I have two checks coming, but I only filed one claim yesterday.  The other was filed on Feb. 27.  They also have gotten a couple of good-sized monetary wedding gifts, and those are helping.  So I think the wedding will go forward as she hoped.

I think I have mentioned that my son is managing a nice restaurant in Arlington.  His restaurant is doing very well, largely due to his efforts (it is a new restaurant and was struggling until he took over as manager), and the fact that they have amazing food.  He has been instrumental in getting more people in the door, and once they have dined there, they want to come back.  His restaurant is catering the wedding.  So it will be delicious food for the wedding, and good advertising for the restaurant.  If you are in the D/FW area, you really should try Chop House Steaks & Seafood in Pantego (basically, Arlington).  My son will take good care of you and the food is absolutely awesome.  Note:  it is a higher end restaurant, so if you are expecting prices like McDonald’s, or even like Chili’s or someplace like that, it is higher than that.  But not nearly as high as many high end restaurants.  And the food is as good as anywhere I have been.  My boss has taken me to some very nice restaurants, so I do have something to compare it to.

I bought my Mother-of-the-Bride dress Saturday.  My daughters each gave it two thumbs up.  Stephanie likes it so much, she wants to wear it sometime.  Here are pictures from the website.  I will post pictures of me in it after the wedding.
 
 
 
 
Sorry the back is blurry.  The picture from the website was really small and I wanted you to be able to see it a little better.  It is kind of see-through and has a lot of beading.  It is really beautiful.  I am hoping to be able to pull it off without a bra, since I am not very big-chested anymore.  I don't want my bra showing through the back.  The color is a dark (but somewhat bright) purple.  I look good in purple.  :)
 
I'm going to get my color done on my hair today, and have some "swoopy" bangs cut, to go with how I plan to do my hair.  It may be kind of an up-do, or at least pulled back from my face with lots of curls.  But I like to have a little bang going over my forehead.  And we cannot have MOB with roots showing and gray hairs showing through.  :)  I am quite young-looking anyway, and I don't want my hair to detract from that.
 
Of course, I had hoped to be a lot further along on my weight loss efforts by now, but I think dealing with the health issues (particularly my back) was absolutely critical for me to be able to continue, so I am okay with it.  As soon as I recover some more, I will begin stepping up my workouts.  My back doctor said I should start some core work, but I did not tell her I had the hysterectomy, so I will have to wait a couple of more weeks to do anything about that.  My doctor note from the hysterectomy doctor says I can return to regular duty on 3/24/14.  But I doubt that means doing core exercises.  Probably I should wait six weeks for that.  We will see.

 My kids’ father figured out Sunday that he will not be walking Beth down the aisle.  I almost feel bad for him (merciful person as I am, and I am not being sarcastic), but he has done nothing to be her father in 10 years.  My son is walking Beth down the aisle.  Beth just did not feel she had the relationship with her father that made her want to have him do it.  I do know he plans to be there, unless he bows out because of this situation.  I have not lost as much as I would have liked, but I know I look enough different where there is a huge difference.  He didn’t recognize me when I saw him in October.  But he is very strange that way.  He didn’t recognize Bethany either.  That’s all I’m going to say about that.

 That’s all for today.  I just wanted to get a post up, now that I am somewhat back to normal life.

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you are feeling better! And I am sure everything will work out for the wedding. I can't wait to see the pictures of you in the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear you are feeling better! Looking forward to hearing all about the wedding. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you're feeling much better. Hope the wedding goes really well :)

    M

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl