- The cysts (there are more than one, on each ovary) are likely benign (greater than 90% chance).
- Because I am postmenopausal and have not had a cycle for a couple of years, they are not going to go away.
- He cannot say that they are not cancerous and the only way to know for sure is to remove them.
- Ultimately, they need to be removed.
- The big question is when -- now, wait until the Summer, wait a year?
The surgery is laparoscopic and is done as a day surgery (provided nothing unexpected is found when they get in there). They would remove both ovaries, since I am past child-bearing age. I would go home the same day and it is a fairly short recovery time (more about that in a minute).
My thinking on it is:
- Since I am meeting my deductible this year with the back surgery, I definitely want to have it done this year.
- I would prefer to use the time I am recovering from the back surgery to do this and recover at the same time. I would like to use any new vacation I get later in the year for an actual vacation!
- If there is any chance that the cysts are malignant, I want them out of me. The sooner the better.
One other thing I have to decide. We discussed HRT, which I would definitely need after having my ovaries removed. If just the ovaries are removed, I would have a combination of estrogen and progesterone. This slightly increases my chances of getting breast cancer. If I go ahead and have a full hysterectomy (still laparoscopic), I would only take estrogen. Taking just estrogen would actually reduce my chances of getting breast cancer. I am not terribly worried about breast cancer -- I don't know anyone in my family that has had it and the fact that I have had a breast reduction reduces my chances of getting breast cancer. There is another reason why having everything removed is more appealing, but I will spare any male readers the TMI. People I have talked to who have experiences on both sides say they would have everything removed. So I am leaning in that direction. I don't need any of it and it would save me some unpleasantness and decrease my chances for any other problems. If I decide to do that, I would spend another day in the hospital. The recovery would be about the same, I think, as long as everything is done laparoscopically.
I got up this morning and, with the pain I am dealing with, if I didn't know relief was coming on Friday, I would have had a hard time coping with going to work and getting through my day. I am hurting more on my upper half and my lower half feels just as bad as it has been. I am counting down the days. Even staying at home off my feet is difficult because the shoulder and arm pain is increasing. I don't pretend to know how it feels to have a stroke, but today I felt a little like I could relate. My left arm hurts so bad I just want to hold it close to my body and not reach for anything or lift my arm up. The lower body is getting to be such a pain to move that I feel crippled, almost. I can move, but it is tough and it hurts. So, no, I am not paralyzed, but I am shuffling along and holding my left arm close to my body and moving it as little as possible, at times, so I look kind of like I've had a stroke. (Thank God I have not.) I'm just one ball of pain.
Sorry for all the complaining. I'm so ready to move past this.
I didn't do great on my eating today, but not too much volume-wise. Still trying to pull it together.