Search This Blog

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Healing Crisis

I didn't do much this morning.  I got up at my usual 5:15, and within minutes, a headache had set in.  I don't know if they are worse or if I am just not coping well.  Usually when I get a spell like this, I take a day off to kind of regroup.  But I can't really do that right now.  I curled up on my bed with the TV on and dozed for another two hours.  At one point, I decided to ice my neck and see if that helped, so a good part of the time I had an ice pack on my neck.  The headache eased some while I was sleeping, but as soon as I am up and around for very long, it is back.  If we were not in the middle of trial prep, I would not be going to work today.

I stopped at CVS on the way to work and bought myself a night guard.  They are expensive!  But it will be worth it if it will help.  I am feeling kind of desperate.

I am out of my muscle relaxants, so had better get those refilled.  I am going to have to take a steady dose of them for a bit.  I haven't had any in a few days.

I am sorry to be talking about my physical struggles so much.  I know it is not very uplifting sometimes, but for those who struggle like I do, maybe reading about my journey will help in some way.  It chronicles what I am going through as I am getting this job done.

I was reading a blog this morning from a person who has decided to put aside her method for trying to lose weight (she was doing Medifast).  She is weary from all the restriction and not getting the results she got "the first time."  She is weary of avoiding all the food groups -- gluten, wheat, dairy, sugar, etc., etc.  I was trying to analyze if I was feeling the same way.  Really, I am not.  My eating feels fairly smooth right now.  I have desires at times, but my higher carb day is helping with that.  I do admit that I did some comfort eating this morning.  I am worn down from the headaches and not feeling well.  What I ate was some sugar free candy.  Could be worse, that is for sure.  My lapse this morning was more emotional than about cravings, although something sweet almost always sounds good.  But it is not the overwhelming craving I have when I am eating sugar and simple carbs.  I actually feel like I could eat this way from here on out.

I was doing some research on inflammation and what foods cause inflammation.  I am really doing pretty well in that department.  The thing I eat most that is on the list is saturated fat.  However, there are mixed messages about that out there.  I thought dairy might be one of the things to avoid, but aside from it having saturated fats, it was not.  It can actually help with inflammation.  I don't know why I am having so many pain issues right now.  Maybe it is that I am releasing toxins, slowly but surely.  I just hope it doesn't last forever.  I do need to increase my consumption of Omega 3's.  That is supposed to help with inflammation and too much Omega 6's can cause more inflammation.  I will see about getting me a supplement.  One of the foods on the Omega 3 list is walnuts, and I eat those fairly regularly.  Another one is salmon.  I don't like salmon that well, but I'm okay with it if it is fresh.  I need to have that once a week, probably, at least.  I do know that I want to feel better.

I also did some reading on what is called "healing crisis".
The medical term for healing crisis is the "Herxheimer Reaction." This occurs when the cells release toxins into circulation but the elimination organs (skin, lungs, liver, kidneys, bladder & GI tract) are not able to eliminate them quickly enough. The toxins remain in circulation and can affect the brain stem region leading to nausea, poor coordination, headaches, fatigue, malaise, fever, etc.
... 
People who are already suffering from major illnesses or are quickly building disease processes may suffer from more extreme reactions. This may explain why someone would have a brief flare-up in their condition. On occasion, the crisis will come after the individual feels at their very best.
The most common symptoms associated with a healing crisis include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, night sweats, hot/cold flashes, increased blood pressure, headaches, joint pain, and fatigue.
Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/036968_healing_crisis_detoxification_liver_health.html#ixzz2i0Czqvus 
I think this is likely some of what is going on with me.  I need to do more to flush out the toxins.  I have not been doing my liver cleanse the last two weeks, and I should be drinking more water.  Most importantly, I need to not get discouraged.  This is a natural process the body has to go through to undo the damage from all the years of doing the wrong things.

Sometimes these things last two or three days, and sometimes, in extreme cases, much longer.  Here is my experience:  At one point in my life (I was 23), I did a 30-day fast.  The first 10 days were water only, and the rest I drank juices.  That first 10 days, even at 23, I felt so bad.  My joints hurt, I had headaches, I got sores in my mouth, I was exhausted, etc.  That part lasted 7-8 days.  That was with a full fast.  After all those toxins were released, I felt much better than I had in a long time.  So I am not surprised that it is taking a long time when I am not fasting.  I feel sure this is why I am not feeling well and why headaches have increased.  I just need to continue and be good to myself, drink lots of water, etc. and hopefully I will get through the worst part soon.  Just knowing this helps.  It is when you think you are going to be at this level of pain for the rest of your life that makes it difficult to cope.  I have been doing a lot to improve my health lately, and the fact that I am not feeling well is not a sign that I am doing something wrong.  It is more likely a sign that I am doing something right!  I was thinking it might be beneficial to do some sessions in the sauna at the gym.  It might help me release toxins faster.

I was talking to a friend at work about this a little and she had a negative response.  She is a few years older than I am and she basically said, each year I get older, I am going to fall apart more and more.  I wanted to say, "But you are not doing the things I am doing to try to get better."  She is not trying to lose weight, improve her nutrition, exercise, or anything like that.  I will agree that if I kept doing what I had been doing for years, I would be falling apart more each day and I doubt would live many more years.  But that is not the case.  So I hope to prove her wrong, big time.  She is kind of a pessimistic person in some ways.  I am not -- I am a very hopeful person.  I would much rather be that way.

 I also read about some tools that will help realign my body, particularly the occipivot and related products for the rest of the spine.

The Occipivot and Cervical Pivot help with headaches, neck issues and TMJ issues.  They help slowly realign the body for people who tend towards the forward head position, which I definitely do.  The rest of the devices would be beneficial for me too.  The whole set costs $239, but I could buy it one piece at a time.  Of course, I would start with the Occipivot and Cervical Pivot.  These devices got very good reviews.  I also ordered a book that my MT has in her office.  It shows a lot of the positions my MT has been telling me to use to stretch, but I tend to forget when I get home.  I need to do more at home to get better faster and to eventually reduce cost.  Poor posture is learned and it can be unlearned.  That would be the purpose of these tools, plus strengthening the muscles to maintain the correct posture.

As the day went on, my headache improved somewhat.  Thank the Lord.  I wasn't so worn out when I got home.  When I found out I was going to have to work late, I went downstairs and got a salad at a place that was still open (just in time).  Therefore, I didn't have to eat dinner when I got home.  I got done at 8:15.  I'm tired, but not like yesterday when my head hurt ALL DAY LONG.

One more day to get through.  Thank the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl