Search This Blog

Friday, September 13, 2013

Working Late and Sticking With the Plan

That check on my calories yesterday seemed to make a difference.  My weight dropped some more this morning.  I'm a little behind on reading The Beck Diet Solution, but the most recent chapter I read was about planning your food for each day, in advance.  So I am mapping out my meals for the day and checking calories, as well as carbs.  A few tweaks on how I've been eating I think will make the difference.  However, I must have been losing fat because I put on a pair of pants this morning that I haven't worn in at least 3 weeks, and they were noticeably looser.

Breakfast this morning was basically the same, except I cut down on how much bacon I had.  Actually, the calorie count on bacon is not as bad as you might think.  Breakfast sausage is much higher -- and I love breakfast sausage.  I can still have it -- just have to compensate in other areas.

So much is going on right now, mentally speaking.  I am not doing everything right (bad grammar, I know), for sure, but given all that I am dealing with, I am not going to be too hard on myself.  Part of the problem is I am working on so many things at once.  The thing is, they are all interrelated, so I don't have a choice in some ways.  So when I miss a day of working out, although I don't want to do that, I am not going to beat myself up about it.  I am being consistent with my food, and fairly consistent with my water -- although that will improve once I get done with this withdrawal from SF Red Bull, which has been a bear.  I allowed myself to have a Diet 7-Up this morning, but told myself that is the last time.  I don't want to get going on those again.  Once in a blue moon is one thing, but every day is another.  I had a slight headache this morning and, so far, have been able to just cope instead of drinking something with caffeine.

I do need to get a workout in tomorrow, and I would like to do it at the gym.  So that is my plan.  Next week I will schedule the appointment with the personal trainer at the gym (you get two free sessions when you sign up).  I can see what she recommends.  I would like to get an outline for a water workout -- toning as well as cardio.  I hope she will know something about that.  I can't afford to hire a personal trainer right now, but I wish I could.  When I think about money, I think about working more hours, which then takes away from my time and energy to be able to do the actual workouts, so that's not really a smart move, unless I have no choice (because my boss is asking me to work late).  I would also like to take some Pilates classes, but they cost extra.  But the yoga ones are free.  I would like to work up to the spin classes, or something like that, but don't feel ready for that at this point.  I have to work so hard not to trigger too much pain -- it is a nuisance.

My snack this morning is a serving of mixed nuts.  I brought a measuring cup (1/4 cup) and some plastic baggies to measure out servings.  Next week I will incorporate more snacks using some vegetables -- like celery with peanut butter, or cream cheese, or spinach dip, or pimento cheese.  I can also have broccoli or cauliflower with some kind of dip.  That should help with the calorie count.  Nuts are a good choice; you just have to be careful with them because they are calorie dense.

I signed up on the Calorie Count website today because I wanted to use their recipe builder tool.  The trouble with that site, it seems (maybe I am missing something), is they grade your choices by the low-fat standards.  So I get D markings on a lot of my choices, when I am following Atkins.  So I don't think I will be using it much except to figure out how many calories and grams of carbs something I make has.

I was going through my list of reasons of why I want to lose weight (which The Beck Diet Solution recommends doing at least twice a day until you really get it in your head), and my attention stopped on this one:  12.  I want to look good at my kids' weddings.  I made a notebook illustrating these concepts and I was looking for another picture to illustrate this one.  So many of the pictures I looked at, the person either looked too young (like she should be the bride and not the mother of the bride), or too old (I am very young-looking, so I don't mean quite that far), impossibly thin (I don't want to have unrealistic expectations -- the one I already have in there is like that), or else I didn't like the dress, at all.  The ones I put in my book today -- one is still too thin, and one I don't really care for the dress, but I just wasn't finding what I was really looking for.  But it still motivates me.  The first of such weddings could possibly occur next summer, if nothing changes.



This book has been a really good tool.  I can visualize the pictures and they remind me of my reasons for wanting to do this, plus they actually evoke a little emotion about it.  When I get to goal and am doing all these things, I think I will remake my book with pictures of myself in these scenarios.  Wouldn't that be cool?!  Something to motivate me to maintain.

The chapter in The Beck Diet Solution I read today was about going through the food plan you make each day and marking whether you stuck to it or not and noting how you felt about each thing.  For example, my plan today for lunch was some chicken salad I made.  It has the chicken and mayo and a little Dijon mustard, plus a little minced red onion.  I didn't have the celery it called for, but I did have some broccoli slaw and I put that in there for the crunch and to bulk it up a little.  However, I didn't have as much as I would have liked.  I was afraid what I brought would not fill me up; that I would still be hungry or get too hungry too early in the afternoon.  But I didn't!  I was really okay with the smaller serving.  So I noted that in my plan.  The same thing with my afternoon snack, which was pork rinds.  Actually I am starting to get hungry, but it is close enough to dinner that I am not concerned about it.  And because I wrote out my plan and don't want to have to note on there that I ate more than was on my plan, I am not going to eat anything else for snack.  It really is a good tool.

As it turns out, I had to work really late.  I got to practice another concept from The Beck Diet Solution.  You are supposed to purposely practice letting yourself get pretty hungry and not give in to eating or cravings.  It is to build your "resistance muscle."  So I got a chance to do that this evening.  I could have eaten more nuts, or my boss offered me trail mix (which is not low-carb at all), but I didn't want to have to write that in my book.  There was also the thought of eating something else other than what I planned (so I could have something faster), but I didn't do that either.  I came home and cooked what I had on my plan and it was delicious, since I was quite hungry.  So I have had a very good day with my food.

As I said, I worked until 8:30, which I certainly wasn't expecting.  At least it will help my paycheck.  Now I will want to stay up later than usual so I feel like I have somewhat of an evening.

I noticed my feet are pretty puffy tonight, which is unusual, since I have about finished all my water for the day.  I hope to show a good loss tomorrow.  We will see.

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl