Search This Blog

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Needing Some Energy

I overslept this morning.  I hate it when I do that.  Plus I had a killer caffeine headache and was craving carbs.  Nice start to the day.

I have food in the house, but I am out of certain things -- especially things to provide a snack.  So I stopped by CVS.  I wanted some almonds or something.  They had all kinds of different nuts on sale, buy one get one free.  So I picked up two cans of mixed nuts.  (I may have to get some more, and take advantage of this sale.)  Nuts are a good low-carb snack, but you have to be careful not to eat too many, because calories still count.  So I am going to have to be careful.*  Another reason I stopped was to get some kind of nuts to go on my salad for lunch.  The walnuts were too expensive and I was looking for some sunflower seeds and didn't find any.  So I stopped in at the little convenience store downstairs in my building and got some.  Standing in line, something caught my eye that I had read was a good low-carb snack -- pork rinds.  I decided to try them.  I ate just a few when I got to work and they are good.  When I am craving something like chips, these are a good alternative since they provide the salty, crunchy taste you sometimes crave.  I will have to be careful with those, but I am glad to have some variety.  There is only so much cheese, etc. you can eat.  I was also craving a Red Bull big-time, so as an alternative, I picked up a Diet 7-Up.  Not bad and helped my craving.  However, it does nothing for a caffeine headache.

I need to go to the store to get things for my other snack ideas.  I am just needing something different.  I am trying to watch my calorie count, but I am finding with the kinds of snacks I am eating, now that I have gotten through the first stage of this, just a little satisfies my hunger.

*I'm trying to figure out the best place to keep these mixed nuts -- at work or at home.  I think I am more prone to go off half-cocked on an eating spree at home (if I were going to do it), so I will keep them at work.  At work is the time of day I have a snack, anyway.  I don't need one after dinner.

The caffeine headache has been building all morning.  I had to do something to be able to work -- it feels like my head is going to crack open -- so got another DDP.  I will drink it until my headache goes away and that's it (about a half of one did it).

I truly would like to get to where just doing my normal schedule doesn't feel so tiring and like there is not enough time to get everything done.  If I didn't have to work, it would be so much easier.  :)  Since that's not going away, I just have to learn to make it work.  What is important and what is not.  I do hope that as I get more fit and lose more weight, I will have more energy and life won't seem quite so overwhelming.  As I am thinking about this, I know that the thing that has worked for me best in the past is to get all my workouts done in the morning.  If I am going to do some strength training and some cardio, I need to take long enough in the morning for that kind of workout.  I used to get up at 4:45 a.m. to get it all done.  Or, at least, that part of it done.  Then when I finished, I could start the rest of my day knowing I was done and it felt good.  And that is when I had to drive from Midlothian to Downtown Dallas every day (of course, driving at 5:30 in the morning meant little to no traffic).  The only difference now (outside of where I live) is having a dog that needs to be taken care of.  I so wish he could walk with me to the gym, have somewhere to stay while I work out, and then walk home with me.  That would save me quite a bit of time.  But that is not an option, so I am going to have to find a way to make this work.

If the same is true as it has been before in my life, once I get over a "hump," I will start to feeling a lot more energy from my workouts.  The only reason I have any doubt is because I am older and things in my body don't seem to work the same as they used to.  I have never had this much trouble losing weight, and after I went through menopause, it seemed like all hell broke loose in my body.  I know that is common, but it's not fun.  So hopefully, as I push onward, I will start feeling more energy as I get more fit.

Today, to tell you the truth, I feel pain all over my body.  I think it must be the withdrawal from the Red Bulls.  I am sure my body is so full of toxins from that, and sloughing off toxins often makes me feel like I have the flu.  I wish I had the luxury to stay home and ride this out, but I don't.  I have to keep going.

I've been doing some looking online and have found some yummy-looking low-carb recipes.  It will be good to have variety.  Honestly, except for the occasional carb craving, I am loving this program.  It is so much easier than low-fat, which I believe caused me to become near-diabetic.  We will see the results at my next annual physical.

I've been thinking I would love to be involved in the Christmas presentation at my church this year.  If you are new to my blog or don't remember, I am a singer and have always been heavily involved in music at church and in community choirs until the last few years.  I miss it, at times, but it is also a big time commitment.  For me, music is one of the most beautiful parts of Christmas and I do love getting involved in those things.  However, I think working on my health, etc. is at the top of my list right now, and I just do not feel like I can add anything else to it.  So I guess it will have to wait.  I can still enjoy hearing the music, even if I don't participate in the production.

Here is a weird question.  I have never liked raw tomatoes.  I have tried them at different times in my life and I just do not like them.  I don't mind them mixed into something where I cannot taste them too much and I like them cooked.  Here is the question.  Do you think if I made myself eat them, I would learn to like them?  There are so many yummy-looking low-carb recipes and salads that have tomatoes.  For instance, I think a caprese salad looks so good, but I just don't like tomatoes.  But I was thinking about giving it a try.  What do you think?  I hear that about other things -- you will learn to like it.  I actually want to like tomatoes.  :)

I will be interested to see the difference in my grocery bill this paycheck.  Since I am not buying Red Bulls or Atkins snack bars anymore, that should make a good difference.  Processed foods (if you can call them foods) -- good riddance.

I am very tired this evening.  As I have studied about adrenal fatigue, I think I may have some of that going on too.  I sleep all night and still feel worn out.  I am always tired.  I'm sure the same that is creating the problems for my daughter is happening with me, just to a lesser degree.  I did get a supplement that is supposed to help with this.  We will see if it works.  Meanwhile, I will continue to reduce stress, exercise, eat right, and find ways to relax.  Tonight I was having really bad restless legs syndrome (forgot to take my antidepressant this morning), so I took a warm bath and just spent some time relaxing.  Then I took Cas for his walk.  That seemed to help.  Now I'm going to do one of my yoga relaxation exercises before bed.  If my pets will let me.  Right now Cas is going nuts because he thinks there is some of his treats on my dresser, but there is not.  I gave them all to him in his walk.

I did count my calories today and I need to do some tweaking.  I really wasn't hungry when I got home, so I haven't eaten dinner.  Calories should come out just fine today.

That's it for tonight.  I'm going to go relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl