Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Craving Carbs

I was just reading the overview of my blog.  I was looking at what key words people used to find my blog, and one of them was "spondy blog."  That led me to look at other blogs that come up when you type in "spondy blog."  I had no idea people wrote blogs just about spondylolisthesis.  They do!  Of course, I have written blog posts about it.  "Spondy" is the condition I have in my back, where one vertebra slips forward or backward in relation to the one below.  I have a significant anterolisthesis, which means the vertebra has slipped forward, which means it has narrowed the spinal column, presses on nerves, creates sciatica, etc.  In other words, it produces a lot of pain.  It has definitely improved with weight loss (weight carried in your abdomen can cause it to slip further), but I still have trouble with it.  I went to yoga last night and one move seemed to set something off.  I probably should have spoken up more before we did it, because I was concerned it might.  Twisting in the lower back usually will set something off.  I did tell her when we stretched on one side that it was hurting and we tried to correct it to where it wouldn't hurt, but it really did the whole time, just some better than others.  I am quite sore this morning.  :(  I also have significant other back problems -- a couple of bulging discs, bone spurs, stenosis.  In other words, my lower back is a mess.  It had been a lot better the last few months, but sometimes things will set it off.  Thankfully, nothing has made it as bad as it was before I lost the weight I have already lost.  I had gotten, at times, to where I could barely walk.  Now, it just hurts.  This morning it hurts quite a bit, but I can still walk fine.  I will continue with the yoga and massage therapy, but I will be careful of moves like last night.  I guess sometimes you have to try to see what works.   I really want to avoid surgery and my big goal is to live without everyday pain.

You know, I'm doing something I thought I would never do.  I am eating grain free.  However, I've been having some "bread" cravings, so I ordered me some coconut flour and some almond flour to see how I like some of the baked goods made with those things.  I will still have to watch carbs this way, but it's an alternative.  I am thinking when I begin upping my carbs a little, the thing I most want to add back is fruit.  I cannot imagine that fruit could be bad for you.  My philosophy is that if God made it and man didn't screw with it, it has to be good for you.  But right now, the reduced carbs is serving its purpose, so I am going with that.  I much more want to eat fruit than grains.  I think I could live without the grains; I can just eat starchy vegetables (like sweet potatoes and corn, etc.) and some fruit.

I have decided one of my favorite cheeses of all is pecorino romano.  It is kind of like parmigiano reggiano -- it is very pungent and tart -- but I think I like it even better.  It is great added to a salad, and this morning I grated some into my eggs before making my omelet and it added a great flavor dimension.  I have a hunk I need to be eating before it gets moldy, so I was looking for ways to use it.  I just love it.  Breakfast:  sausage with 2-egg omelet (with said pecorino romano):



As the day has gone on, I am feeling a little better.  My back is not hurting much now.  I cannot let the excuses take over tomorrow morning when it comes to getting a workout.  However, I learned last night that just because you can complete a range of motion to a certain point doesn't mean you should.  On the same twisting exercise, you were supposed to turn your head in the opposite direction of your body.  I was able to do it with no problem, but it set off my hardware issues (that's what I call it) in my neck (from my surgery) and I got a bad headache.  I've had a hard time getting rid of it today, but I have learned enough with these that it is better to go ahead and nip it in the bud instead of taking only enough medication to ease it slightly.  It takes days to go away that way, and if I go ahead and take enough to knock it out, it doesn't tend to come back.  So that's what I did today.

Have you ever had a dream you knew meant something?  I actually didn't remember last night's dream early in the day, but it came to mind a while ago and it hit me what it was about.  I am going to act on it the way it is coming to me now.  I need to have a talk with my daughter.  I can't share any more than that without breaking a confidence.

It was a pretty busy day.  I spent most of the day in the office with Jerry, which I always enjoy.  I didn't really get a chance for lunch.  I had brought some things for snacks, and those things became my lunch.  I had brought some celery sticks and cream cheese with chive and onion, a 100-calorie pack of almonds, a stick of cheese and an Atkins snack bar.  That's what I ate for lunch and snack.  I ate more celery and cream cheese than I would have if I had not had to make it my lunch.  I was going to say I should have planned ahead better, but I guess I kind of did if I brought those things.  I wasn't planning to eat them all today; I just wanted them at work for when I needed them.

I feel so anxious to see progress in my efforts.  I really am seeing progress, but it feels so slow.  I know I just have to keep doing what I need to do and results will follow, but I am feeling impatient.  My eyes are on the next 15 pounds or so.  I guess that is going against what The Beck Diet Solution says.  She says focus on smaller goals of 5 pounds each.  And I am making  good progress toward my next 5 pounds.  It's just that there are "new" clothes waiting for me at 15.  Maybe I should decide what my next 5-pound reward will be.  I think one reason I feel anxious is I am wanting to find my soul mate and I don't feel like I am going to make much progress toward that until I get some more weight off.  But that is not necessarily true.  The guy I am looking for would not put so much importance on size.

Dinner was some ground sirloin and roasted zucchini sprinkled with pecorino romano.  I cut the zucchini into rounds and bake them with a little olive oil and allow the cheese to kind of caramelize on top.  It tasted good tonight.  I had a little bit of a cheese sauce left over from another meal and put that on the meat.  I also had some almonds later.  I have really been craving carbs tonight.  I have not given in to it, but that is why I had the almonds.

I've been trying to finish a book before bed, but have too many pages to go, so will have to finish it tomorrow.  Good night all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl