Search This Blog

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Cooking Day

Saturday Evening

During the times I've been sitting down to rest, I've been working on making food plans for the next two weeks (until next time I buy groceries).  I want to make sure I use what I bought effectively and I'm figuring all my calories and carbs to make sure they are in line.  This is taking a lot of time.  The good thing is, as I have done this for a couple of months, I will be repeating a lot of meals and/or dishes, so I will already have a record of how much to count them.  I don't like to put them in CalorieCount because it gives me bad grades for what I am eating.  Lol.  It needs to get with the program.  I am trying to eat around 1700 calories a day and 20 carbs.  I am not counting the liver cleanse cocktail in my carbs, so that is an extra 3.6 (or something like that).

I actually didn't count all my calories and carb grams until the end of the day today.  I came out with only 1468 calories and was right on with my carbs at 19.8.  It is almost Midnight and my dinner is still holding me.  I drank all my water, which for now is 64 oz.  I'm sure I should drink more, but I want to get consistent with at least that much.  No diet soda or caffeine today, except for the Anacin I took to try to get rid of the headache earlier.  I have a bad headache as I am winding down my day.  I feel sure it is caffeine/detox.  By the way, the Green Enchilada Chicken I made last night was oh so good!



I washed my sheets today and haven't gotten them back on my bed yet.  Probably just going to go with the bare minimum tonight and put everything back on like it belongs tomorrow morning.

I'm trying to break Cas of barking at everyone when he hears them out in the hall of my building.  It gets so old.  I used Cesar Millan's method of claiming the door and backing him off until he surrendered.  It took him probably 10-15 minutes with me standing over him and staring him down before he finally lay down and surrendered.  I gave him a little reward when he did.  Next time he heard someone, I told him no as he was going toward the door and he stopped and did not bark.  I gave him another treat.  We will keep working on it until I totally break him of it.  This is one of the things in the house that bothers me the most.  I have cement floors and it really echos when he is barking.  Not to mention being an annoyance to the people in the hall.  Here is my door mat:



I gave them fair warning, lol.  The next thing I want to work on is him crawling all over me when he is not invited.  For one thing, he does not need to think he can do that with anyone who visits.  Plus it can be annoying for me.  He needs to stay on the floor until invited up on the furniture or in someone's lap.  I also need to work on him keeping a proper distance when I am eating.  I confess I am not sitting at the table at this point, and he always hovers very close, hoping for a taste.  He needs to not do that.  I also need to get him accustomed to me sitting at the table or at my desk without him barking.  He barks because he cannot get to me.  Yorkies are lap dogs and Cas certainly follows the breed in that respect.  I love the little booger, and I will love him even more if he is better trained.

Sunday

Except for a headache that has gone past moderate, I'm feeling fairly decent today.  I guess that shows you how much I am used to coping with having a headache.  Breakfast this morning was a little more time consuming, so I got it together and in the oven right away.  It is a ham and Swiss pie, which I adapted from a recipe in Core Balance Diet.  This recipe would not be appropriate if you are doing a low-fat diet, but if you are on a low-carb plan, this turned out over the top.

HAM AND SWISS PIE

1 cup Swiss cheese, shredded (I used 4 slices of Swiss cheese for sandwiches)
8 slices deli ham (I used Hormel Choice, which has no nitrites or nitrates, preservatives or msg)
2/3 cup heavy cream
8 eggs, well beaten
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 T. olive oil (for oiling the pan -- I just used PAM)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Lightly coat deep-dish pie pan with olive oil.  Place half of cheese in even layer over bottom of pan.  Mix eggs, cream, salt, and cayenne pepper in a separate bowl.  Dice ham and mix in with eggs.  Pour half of the egg mixture over the layer of cheese.  Place the other half of the cheese on top of egg mixture.  Pour remaining egg mixture over second layer of cheese.  Bake 40-50 minutes until knife inserted in center comes out clean.  Remove from heat, slice into four wedges, and serve.

Here's how it came out:



The recipe from the Core Balance Diet is actually called Crab and Swiss Pie.  I have made it in the past using imitation crab, but I checked and it had too many carbs.  Neither of the grocery stores I went to had fresh crab (I don't even know how easily you can get it in Dallas), so I decided to try it with ham.  The CBD recipe also called for nutmeg and only four eggs.  I made it with nutmeg the first time, but I didn't care for that flavor, so I tried using cayenne pepper and loved it.  I doubled the eggs because in the meal plan for CBD, they have more for breakfast than just the serving of pie.  When I have this for breakfast, this is all I have and I wanted two eggs.  I like this Ham and Swiss Pie much better than the ones I was making with the imitation crab, but I'm not a big seafood eater.

I took Cas for his walk while the pie was cooking.  I also had to go by the office and find something for my boss and set it out for him (I was awakened by a text this morning).  Cas is not allowed in my office building, so I tied him to the hand-rail at the bottom of the steps going into the building in front of the security desk, which is where you have to enter on the weekend.  I asked the security guard if he would keep an eye out to make sure no one grabbed him.  I wasn't sure how he would do.  I was upstairs for 10-15 minutes (longer than I thought).  When I came back down, he was just sitting on the step, watching for me and greeting people politely who walked by him.  He didn't bark at all, which I was a little concerned about (that leads me to believe, more than ever, that he thinks he is protecting me when he does that).  Anyway, he was as good as gold.

My new swimsuit came in.  I still have to get me some pool shoes before I am ready to attempt the pool again.  I am having too much trouble with my feet without supportive shoes on.  My swimsuit is a lot like the one I had before, but instead of a size 24, it is a size 16.  It is too tight, but I can wear it.  The size 24 was literally trying to fall off when I was swimming last time.  I'm thinking 10 pounds more will make a big difference.  I don't want to shell out money for a swimsuit that I can't wear for a while, so I ordered it on the small side on purpose.  I like it because it has good coverage on my thighs, which I always feel self-conscious about.  Not that my thighs are overly big for the rest of me; I've just seen some overweight women looking pretty bad wearing just a one piece and large thighs.  That's their choice, but I don't have to make that choice myself.  I would rather cover up until it looks better.  Not going to show you my picture in it until it gets a little looser, but here it is:

 
 
Okay, instead of keeping on saying that I need to get me some pool shoes, I went online, found me some and ordered them.  I also ordered me a swim cap and some goggles.  The swim cap is in case I want to swim during lunchtime and don't want to get my hair wet, but I may want to wear it most of the time and protect my hair from the chlorine.  I should be all set as soon as these come in.
 
Snack today was stuffed mushrooms.  Yum!  I found this recipe on a low-carb website.  I divided it by 8 because I didn't need 30 stuffed mushrooms sitting around that you can't freeze.  I made 4 from the recipe.  Besides the mushroom, they have a little pork sausage, cream cheese and cheddar cheese.
 
 
Lunch was a recipe I found on the same website called Korean Meatballs.  The meatballs themselves were very flavorful.  They had minced onion (fresh), garlic, salt and pepper and an egg to bind it.  Then you make this sauce out of soy sauce, water, garlic paste, pepper, sesame oil and sweetener.  It called for Splenda, which I don't have, so I put some Stevia in it (just a few packets).  I couldn't find on the package how much would equate to what it called for in the recipe.  I would put one or two less packets next time.  They are good -- very moist and full of flavor.  With that I had some salad.  Did you notice what was on the plate?  Yep, I ate some raw tomatoes.  My friend recommended that I try Naturesweet grape tomatoes.  I tried them, just biting into them by themselves, with a little salad dressing on them.  I can't say I loved them, but I didn't hate them.  I think I can learn to like these.  She said other than that, don't get any that are not fresh off the vine.
 
I have to say, my food has been over the top today.  Dinner was leftover Green Enchilada Chicken and a veggie kabob that I basted with a mixture of butter, garlic paste, salt, pepper and onion powder.  I wanted to make sure it had enough flavor, so I put the garlic paste in instead of the garlic powder and a little more than the recipe said.  My butter was unsalted, so I added the salt.  It was just right and oh so good!  Everything I ate today was scrumptious.
 
 
 
My stats today:  1747 calories and 19.9 carbs.  I have a little more cooking to do.  I'm making a small brisket and coleslaw dressing to go on broccoli slaw.  I have lots of leftovers, so meals should be easy the next few days.  And yummy!
 
I have been productive today, and that feels good.  Some more work this evening and I will feel better ready to face my week.  I have given thought to the housecleaning thing -- whether I am expecting myself to make too many changes at once.  My thinking is that I am trying to learn to relax and release stress so my cortisol levels will get under control, which leads to better weight loss (and health).  I feel so much more at peace in a clean environment, so it is important that I keep working on this.  With the other stressors I have in my life, I need a haven to relax and unwind in.  So I am going to keep trying to do better at this.

 
I have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, look at you getting Bizzy in your Kitchen?! Love it!

    Do you have a link to the green enchiladas? Looks delicious and I love how you paired it with the veggie kabobs. :D

    Let's both have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry it took me so long to reply. I kept trying to go to where I thought the recipe was and it wasn't there. I had to look at my printed one at home. Anyway, the link is http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/green_enchilada_chicken_casserole.html.

    It was definitely yummy!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl