Search This Blog

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Clothes Are Looser

Wednesday

Things have gotten pretty busy and I am pretty covered up at work.  I kind of like it that way, but I am tired.  I overslept this morning.  I have been having consistent headaches again.  I have been thinking they were related to getting off the SF Red Bulls, but it has been long enough now, I think, where that shouldn't be an issue.  I haven't been taking my muscle relaxants regularly (I don't like to, because they make me drag), and I told myself I was going to remember that if I started getting steady ones again.  The muscle relaxant seems to help more than anything.  I would rather drag than wake up with a headache every day.  I need to work on some more of my stretching exercises on my own and see if I can coax them to ease up.  Plus that is good for stress relief.

I was wanting carbs this morning.  I think it is more of a comfort thing than anything.  I googled whether it was an okay thing to take a day off from Atkins every once in a while, and didn't get the answer I would have liked.  Most people say not to because then you are off and it leads to more compromising, etc., etc.  I wasn't talking about a whole day of eating whatever I wanted; just one carby treat.  But I won't do it.  The scale is moving gradually, my clothes are getting looser, so why would I want to mess that up?  The emotional feelings I was having this morning will pass.

I had breakfast earlier than usual (I was hungry).  I had the last of the Ham and Swiss Pie.  It is sooo good.  I am going to have to make it again soon.  Next time I might make it with ground pork sausage.  But I don't know, that would make it higher calorie and it is so good the way it is.

I didn't quite get all my meals together and packed this morning.  The only thing I lack is a veggie, so I will go downstairs and get a side salad.  I brought my own, homemade salad dressing.  Snack was 2 dill pickle spears, each wrapped in a slice of cheese and a piece of deli ham.  That was pretty good.  I like it better than with just the ham.

I did not work out this morning.  I know.  It was the oversleeping and the pounding headache.  :(

Lunch today is leftover Korean Meatballs with the side salad mentioned above.  Cooking ahead makes everything easy.  I just needed to make some veggies.  I am hopeful I will not have to work so late tonight, but I am not holding my breath.  My boss' schedule is very packed, and we have to take moments to work together every chance we get.

I found something that might help with my cravings.  I found a recipe for Atkins vanilla ice cream  It is made with Stevia and has only 3.8 grams of carbohydrate.  Maybe this will fulfill that need for a treat every once in a while.

I was thinking about these cravings that I am having on occasion.  I got to wondering if it was because I needed to move on to the next phase of Atkins.  Here is what I found on the website:

Move to OWL (ongoing weight loss) if . . .

  • You’re already within 15 pounds of your goal weight. It’s important for you to move on to learn a new, permanent way of eating.
  • You’re bored with your current food choices.
  • You’ve been in Induction for several months and are more than halfway to your goal.

You may choose to stay in Induction if . . .

  • You still have more than 30 pounds to lose.

You should stay in Induction for now if . . .

  • You still have a large amount of weight to lose.
  • You’re still struggling with carb cravings.
  • You’ve not been fully compliant with Induction.
  • You still have elevated blood sugar or blood pressure levels.
  • Your weight loss is slow and you aren’t physically active.
So, there is my answer.  I need to stay right where I am.  I don't know why I am still having carb cravings, except for issues I have already addressed.  I stopped the Atkins bars because of that (and that is not even something they say you need to do).  I stopped drinking Red Bull Total Zero and they don't tell you not to have artificial sweeteners.  I haven't been cheating on too many carbs.  I have cut back my calories a bit.  Perhaps the cravings are more emotional than anything.  I know they were today.  And those are a little easier for me to push away.  I really am not having trouble giving in to the cravings, I just have them sometimes.  I guess other people do too, as many fall off the program.

I went to talk to my friend at work about my struggles and she had some bad news about her dog and was crying. I felt so bad to be complaining about craving carbs at a time like that. But I didn't know.

I'm telling you, I don't know if I am coming or going half of the time.  I sent out some bills to be paid for my boss using his card number, the expiration date of which is 06/13.  I remember thinking, oh this will expire soon.  It didn't even register with me that it is already past June.  I know it's because I have so much on my mind.

Snack this afternoon was celery with organic peanut butter.

Thursday

I just wasn't up to finishing my post last night when I got home.  I didn't work very late, but I was really tired.  I kept nodding off while watching television.

Dinner was brisket.  I didn't have any veggies ready, and didn't feel like fixing them, so I didn't.  But then I ate some nuts later.  Not a lot, but I should have had the veggie instead.  I felt like I was carb crashing because I was feeling withdrawal symptoms.  But I had had all my medication, so it wasn't that.  And I have felt that way a couple of other times when I had not had enough carbs.  The nuts seemed to help a little.  I took a warm bath and went to bed.

I got up with a reasonable amount of energy this morning and was actually pretty productive.  I got my workout done and a few chores done, so that felt good.  I decided that today I was just going to eat meals and not snacks, since I am two days away from weigh-in.  I made sure I was good and satisfied at each meal, with breakfast and lunch, although I got a little empty during the afternoon.

Breakfast was pork sausage and scrambled eggs with spinach and feta cheese, which I topped with a little pico de gallo.  Work was so busy, I didn't have time to think about not having a snack.  It was not a problem at all.  Lunch was Green Enchilada Chicken Casserole and a salad.  My carb cravings are much better today -- no problem.  Thank goodness.  Maybe I didn't eat enough yesterday.  I didn't count them up, but knew I was not overdoing.

If there was any doubt before, there is no doubt today that my clothes are getting looser and I am getting thinner.  The pants I have on today were already a little big, but today they are bordering on being too big to wear.  And the shirt is looking looser too.  I got down below the weight I am at now a few months ago, but I don't ever remember this shirt looking this loose.  But maybe I just don't remember.  I know one way to tell -- soon I will try on a dress I had gotten down to before and see how it is fitting.  Perhaps I am losing differently this way and more fat is being taken from my belly.  I'll be just fine with that!

I have maintained the tidiness of my loft all week and that definitely makes home feel better.  Maintaining is so much easier than cleaning up a mess.  I have more cleaning to do -- dusting, etc. -- but at least things are not cluttered up (at least by my standards).  :)  I still have too much stuff in some ways and need to purge.  But not like sitting around with no place to put it.  Mostly decorative stuff that I have out because I had it already and just found a place for it.  It would probably look better for me to streamline it a little.

I had my massage today.  I am pretty sore from what she has been doing.  It is all for the greater good, but that doesn't mean you don't feel it.  Sometimes I feel like I've had a workout when she gets done -- I just feel all wrung out.  She is going to be out of town until next Thursday, and I am kind of glad I will have the break to work through some of the soreness.  I am doing this to get better, and it is discouraging sometimes to be hurting more than before I did it.  But that is because I am stretching more than I have in a long time.  The muscles have to heal after doing that.  I need to work more during the week on stretching on my own.  The more I stretch (safely), the more things are going to stay in better condition.  I do think I am going to go back to using my neck collar (from my surgery) when I sleep.  I seem to be waking up hurting more.  I am sleeping flat on my back with a neck pillow and not moving in a weird way, but sometimes my head goes to the side and stays that way for too long and that makes me hurt.

Today is an extremely busy day.  I definitely earned my paycheck today.  And I wouldn't be surprised if I took 10,000 steps just at work today.  I'm beat.  I was hungry when I got home at 7:00, but not out of control hungry.  I cooked some hamburger patties with cheese melted on them and roasted some broccoli.  I needed something easy but filling.

That's it for tonight.

2 comments:

  1. Yaay for looser clothes! That's a much more satisfying barometer of success than scale numbers, IMO.

    Morning carb-love is one of the reasons the low-carb lifestyle never worked for me for any length of time. I love my oatmeal and yogurt! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, the more I eat carbs, the more I want them. I just notice it more now since I am not giving in. I think most of my cravings are emotionally based. That was what I always comforted myself with -- especially sweets. I have to learn a new way to do that.

      Delete

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl