Search This Blog

Monday, September 9, 2013

Back To It

Morning

I woke up pretty ready to go this morning.  My alarm went off at 5:00 a.m. and immediately on waking, I realized my back was hurting.  I curled up on my side to take some pressure off of it and took a few minutes to get myself out of bed.  I got up, took my pain med and put on my workout clothes first thing.  I wasn't planning to start my workout until 6:00 or so, but I wanted to be ready.  I spent a little time checking my computer, making my food plan for the day and readying myself.  I was hungry and had a stick of cheese and filled up my water bottle.  I got started a little after 6:00 and did 30 minutes on the recumbent bike.  It felt a little tough this morning, since I didn't do it all last week.  :(  I kept it at a resistance of 5 with 6 1-minute intervals at a resistance of 10.

Next on the agenda was taking Cas for his morning walk.  It was still pretty dark, so I got started on some things I normally do when I get back.  I ran my bath water, so it would be ready when I got back and I put an egg on to boil and readied some bacon to put in the oven (these to go in my salad for lunch).  After the water boiled for the egg, I took it off to sit and finish cooking.  I put the bacon in the oven and off I went for his walk.

I got home and got myself ready and off to work.  I had sausage and a 2-egg omelet with cheese for breakfast.

Evening

I wrote the above before work this morning and never had a chance to write any more the whole work day.  It was a busy day!  That's okay; I kind of like it that way.

Snack this morning and this afternoon were the same thing -- an almond flour biscuit and a stick of cheese.  Lunch was a salad with bacon, boiled egg, some walnuts, shavings of pecorino romano and ranch dressing.  I have to tell you, that was the best salad I've had in a while.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.

When I got home from work, I was really, really hungry.  I felt kind of weak.  Dinner was some leftover pork tenderloin and some more salad.  Even though I was really hungry, I filled up pretty quick.

I had another massage appointment today.  I had a headache pretty much all weekend, and I had not been having those.  She found an area in my shoulder and worked me over pretty good.  She gathered up my hair and pulled on it for about 3 minutes, which is to loosen the fascia surrounding the skull.  It tightens up over time and presses on your skull and nerves and muscles.  I have often said I feel like my head is going to explode, so that kind of explained that feeling.  She worked on my neck and head the whole time, and the front of that shoulder, where it joins in the neck.  Ouchies, it hurt!  I feel better, but I have a place in the middle of my back that still needs working on.  She said the main thing that causes this stuff with my neck and head is posture.  Mostly posture at the computer, but also while I am sitting at home, etc.  I have decent posture when I walk, but I am sure it could improve.  She said there is no doubt that I grit my teeth.  I have not been aware of that.  So many holding patterns, as she calls them, that I have to confront and improve.  I laid on the floor a little while tonight trying to work that kink out of my mid-back.

Not much going on tonight.  I'm tired and plan to get to bed by 9:30.  I'm just trying to do at least my minimum workouts this week.

3 comments:

  1. Ohhh, so that's why my head feels so much better when my hair stylist massages my neck during the shampoo! I had no idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! If you have massage therapy, find someone who understands myofascial release. It's more than just working on muscles. It is working on the fascial system, which is kind of like a net of connective tissue covering the body. It tightens up as we age unless we stretch it regularly.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl