Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Scale Frustration

I’m tired.  I was already tired, but the trip to the ER last night added to it.  And it’s only Tuesday.

I did get up and work out this morning.  No more excuses allowed.  I did 37 minutes and I added the arm work while I pedaled.  I didn’t want to do it, because I was tired, but of course I am glad I did.  I have my first yoga session tonight.  That counts as a workout too, right?

The scale moved a little bit from what it has been the last couple of days, but still not below the lowest I posted on DietBet.  I noticed last night my ankles are puffy.  I’m sure that has something to do with it.  I will keep taking my BP med with the diuretic and take more opportunities to sweat between now and then.  Plus drinking plenty of water, of course.

I’m a little nervous about this yoga thing.  I am sure she will not give me more than I can handle.  I have to be sure to tell her that any twisting of my lower back is not a good idea.  It sets off flare-ups.  I did a couple of personal training appointments about a year and a half ago and he had me do some twisting, and I was down for several weeks.  Of course, I am in better shape pain-wise now (and I am lighter), but I have to be careful.  Setting off a bad flare-up will only slow me down and that is not my objective here.

I’m trying to think what to do about being so tired.  I looked up supplements that help with energy, but there are mixed opinions as to whether they really help or not.  If you are eating healthy foods, you should be getting all your vitamins there.  I decided what I would start with is just taking my regular vitamins, which I have a hard time remembering to take.  And I may take some extra B12.  I’ll do that for a month and see if I am feeling any better.  I know exercise will help, so I need to stay consistent with that and keep moving.  It really is true that the less you move, the less you want to move, and the more you move, the easier it is to keep going.  So it needs to be an absolute priority that I get a workout regularly.  (I took my vitamins yesterday and again today, and I fancy it is helping a little.  We will see.)

I was contemplating buying some DVDs that focus on toning different body parts.  I might do better with a “coach” going through a set program.  But, some of the things they do on those DVDs I am not so sure I can do because of my back and knees.  Lunges don’t seem very doable right now, and neither do squats.  I have a Leslie Sansone video called “Walk & Firm.”  She does some very beginning toning exercises that include mini squats and lunges.  I think that is where I should start on those particular exercises.  It would give me a cardio workout at the same time, so that would be good.  I will just do as much as I can do and if I can’t do it all yet, that’s okay.  You have to start somewhere.  I’m just a little nervous about setting off a bad flare-up.  I’m going to plan on doing that workout tomorrow evening.  I may go ahead and buy a video that focuses on toning arms.  I don’t have much trepidation in that department about injuring myself and my arms are bugging me.  I’m ready to get some muscle tone going!  And the strength training will help with calorie burn too.

I’m in a little bit of a quandary about what to do about my DietBet challenge.  I want to try to make my goal, but I am not sure what the problem is.  I am quite sure I am not eating too much, but the scale is being really stubborn.  However, the pants I am wearing today are looser than ever.  I don’t know whether to eat less or eat more the next few days.  I don’t feel like I am starving.  Even though all I got to eat last night for dinner was a little rotisserie chicken (2-3 oz.) and a few crackers, I was not overly hungry.  I am going to go with not eating more, at least for this week.  If it doesn’t work, then I will try eating a little more and see if that makes a difference.  I am back to working out, so hopefully that will help.  And if my body is asking for food, I am going to listen to it.  But it really isn’t right now.

I snapped these pictures today, trying to decide if I looked any smaller.  I think I do.  For reference, the third one was one I posted in February and I am close to 10 pounds smaller now.  The last one is basically where I started -- this was probably my heaviest ever (around 323 pounds in July 2007).  Yep, I'm a bit smaller now.  I know it is probably hard for you to tell, since I haven’t been posting pictures much.  I need to get going and update those more often!  The side view is not too flattering, but I do see progress.  You can tell my pants are getting pretty baggy in the behind.






I went home for lunch today (first time in a while, it seems like).  I am doing a protein bar day (which I use to mimic Medifast).  Since I have to be out tonight, and I think Jerry will probably keep me here until 7:00 and I have to be at yoga at 7:30, I decided to eat my meal at lunch instead of dinner, then just have a protein bar this evening, along with some raw veggies and fruit if I need them.  So I had a salad for lunch, plus a ground sirloin patty with a slice of RF pepper jack cheese on it.  I shaved a little pecorino romano cheese (about a half oz.) on the salad and used my homemade vinaigrette on it.  This makes the best salad.  That little bit of pecorino romano adds so much to the salad and I love this dressing.  It is not “low fat,” but it is all fresh ingredients and the fat is healthy fat (olive oil).  Yum!  I also had a banana.  I have some raw veggies with me if I get hungry this afternoon – some celery sticks and baby carrots.
 

 

I was talking to my friend about my frustration at the scale right now.  I think I am going to do a liver cleanse that my massage therapist told me about.  You mix ¼ cup unsweetened cranberry juice, 2 T. apple cider vinegar and 2 T. lemon juice.  You are supposed to drink that every day (I will have to find out how long).  Maybe it will help my weight loss along, and it certainly won’t hurt (except the taste of it, I am sure).  I have to pick up some cranberry juice and some lemon juice, but will do that while I am out this evening.  (Oops, I forgot.  But I did some reading and there is some stuff I need to do before the cleanse, so won't get going on that at this point.)
 
Here is the protein bar I ate for my breakfast and dinner.  This is the first time I have gotten this brand.  I'm going to have to be careful with these because I like the taste of these.  The other ones I get are passable, but nothing I would want seconds on.  I also bought me some Atkins shakes for use on days like this (I may do those tomorrow).


I got hungry at about 4:30 or 5:00 and had my protein bar then.  I hope it would hold me for the night and it did.  I had some watermelon when I got home from yoga.

Speaking of which, yoga was awesome.  She basically taught me ways to tune in to my body and nurture myself.  She said that the fact that I am so much tighter on the right side than the left is indicative of the fact that I am the type of person who takes care of other people more than myself.  Hmmm... how'd she know that?  And she said that the biggest thing that will work against me is stress, so it is very important that I take time every day to release and relax and let all the tension flow out of me.  She said it was time to learn how to take care of myself along with what I do for others.  I feel like I am beginning to do more of that and this is just a part of that.  Healthy eating, exercise, the massage therapy, drinking more water -- those are all ways that I nurturing myself.  I also must find ways to do it internally.  So that is my goal.  I am not into eastern religion by a long shot, but taking time to unwind and relax is very Biblical.  I think this will open a whole new chapter in my life -- one that has been needing to be written for a very long time.

I'm going to head to bed and do the deep breathing relaxation exercise before I drop off to sleep.  "Be still and know that I am God" will be my meditation.  He is there, caring about every detail of my life and ready to take my burdens as I leave them in His presence.  Although I titled this post "Scale Frustration," I am going to let that frustration flow out of me and know that regardless of my DietBet challenge, the weight will fall off as I continue to care for myself as I am learning.  I will do my best and accept whatever comes.

2 comments:

  1. The scale isn't moving for me either - although I am down another pound but I haven't officially posted it - don't plan on weighing in again until Sunday.

    But, I am drinking way more water this week (a gallon a day!) and bumped up my protein, so hopefully my metabolism will start moving. That being said, I know I am doing the work, so I am not worried about the end result.

    Because when is the "end?" I just need to make each day count. :D

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl