Search This Blog

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Nursing Duties, Sort Of

It's been a fairly quiet day, but one in which my patience has been tested.  I got up around 7:00 a.m., after Cas had been whining off and on since 5:00 or so.  I tended to the pets, took Cas for a walk, and did a couple of things that needed doing around the house.  Then I was off to the hospital.  Nope.  I didn't do a workout.

My weight had dropped a pound, so that was good.  I did what I planned to yesterday on eating.

I've spent the day tending to Steph.  She has been a little high maintenance, but that is to be expected when you don't feel well.  It's just that sometimes I don't feel like getting up to adjust the bed or whatever after I've been up for 15 other things.  Not her fault.  Just my general mood.  I had a headache building at one point and debated whether to take a muscle relaxant, because I knew it would make me sleepy.  But I didn't want the headaches to start getting bad again, so I took one.  That's part of the reason my patience is a little thin.  I'm sleepy.

My eating has been good today.  I had left my protein bars at the hospital, so had a little cantaloupe at home and cut the rest up to bring with me.  I ate the protein bar when I got to the hospital and then some more cantaloupe.  I ended up eating all the cantaloupe I had brought.  I was hungry.  I had another protein bar at Noon.  A little later, Bethany called and said they were eating at a certain place and did I want her to bring me anything.  I asked if she could stop at Chipotle.  So she brought me some Chipotle tacos -- a pretty good-sized meal for less than 10 points -- at about 4:30.  I will have the 3rd protein bar later (I usually have one at about 4:30, so I will switch it with dinner).

Other than that, there is not much going on.  I've been reading blogs most of the day.

I think I will call in tomorrow.  If nothing else, I am tired and didn't get a weekend.  Things have been a little slow at work and I have the days available.  Steph will be here at least a couple of more days.  I just don't want the pressure of juggling hospital and work.  My car needs a little attention too.  I got it back from my son and the service engine light is on.  I think it needs an oil change.  I have driven it so little -- it really should be my son taking care of this, but....

As the day has gone on, Steph has had some troubles.  She has a lot of problems with her veins.  It is very hard to find them and they "blow" easily.  So all her IV lines have blown.  She got to feeling very strange generally -- "something didn't feel right."  They are going to put in a PIC (?) line.  In the meantime she is without pain medication and is hurting.  She is also very edgy and irritable. And pretty needy.  They want to give her some Xanax.  She doesn't want it, but I told her it wouldn't hurt.  :)  She is kind of tough to be around. No fault of her own.  She doesn't feel well and nurses were not listening to her for a while, which is very frustrating.  They don't realize she has been through this enough times to know what's what.  The doctors know, but some of the nurses do not and they don't listen.

So, it hasn't been such a fun evening.  I had my last protein bar at around 6:30.  At around 8:00, I was still a little hungry and nothing was open, so I went to the vending machine and got some Pop chips.  That is only 2 points, so not bad.  All in all, a good day eating-wise.

You will not find any candy in the vending machines here.  They are full of baked chips, trail mix, nuts, protein bars, breakfast bars, etc.  Nothing very decadent, which I appreciate.

I'm sure my pets are wondering what is going on.  I'm not sure if I'm sleeping at home tonight or not.  I've already told My employer I won't be at work tomorrow.  Once they get her PIC line in and her pain under control again, then I will probably go home to sleep.

I have done a little walking today, but nothing major.  At least I have been up and down enough where I am not sore from sitting too much.  I need to get a workout in the morning.  I'm not sure if I will do protein bars tomorrow.  It leaves me pretty hungry, which makes a workout tough, so I probably should eat more tomorrow.

That's it for today.  Good night.

I do have a headache this evening.  That makes me want to stare into space, and it doesn't make me want to get up and do nursing duties, but I do anyway, of course.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry you have so much shit going on, but kudos for sticking with the plan and not getting off the wagon!

    Hope the girls are on the mend this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Biz. As many times as I have had to go through this, I think it is about time I learned how to get through it without letting my eating go to pot.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl