Search This Blog

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Massage Therapy and "Just Do It"

My workout felt a lot better this morning.  I am learning when that voice starts rationalizing about not wanting to work out, I just tune it out and go do it.  “Just do it” is a pretty good explanation for what you have to do.  The workout didn’t feel as difficult this morning, so I bumped the resistance up to 8 some of the time during the middle section.
 
I noticed a little sciatica when walking Cas this morning.  That means I am not going to try any treadmill or vigorous walking for my second workouts for a while.  The recumbent bike does not bother it at all (actually makes it feel better), so I can always do a second workout on it in the evening.  I also wonder how the elliptical might work for me.  It just depends on if it creates tension in my lower back.  I did do a little toning last night and will do some more tonight.  I tell you one thing, a rug on a cement floor, without any pad underneath, is not much padding.  I probably need to get me an exercise mat.  I did several core exercises listed in the beginning workout and I noticed my neck was a little iffy afterward.  I am going to have to be very careful not to strain my neck while doing them.  I tried to follow the form to prevent that, but it still felt uncomfortable afterward.  I think next time I will wear my cervical collar.  I had pain shooting down my arm when trying to go to sleep last night, which meant something was pinching a nerve.  I don’t want to go there again.  My neck surgery was so successful in taking care of that issue.  I am not anxious for that to happen again.
 
Breakfast this morning was another breakfast sandwich, the only difference being I used pepper jack cheese.  Very tasty.  I am about out of fruit except for watermelon and cantaloupe, and I didn’t have time to prepare any of that this morning.  I do have some grapes here at work, but may have to go down to the convenience store, where they usually have bananas.  My eating has been right on track.  I was having a little bit of sweet cravings last night, so I had two pieces of toast (with reduced calorie bread) with a little all-fruit jelly on it.  I still had daily points available, so didn’t even have to use weekly points.
 
I’m still not sleeping that great.  I don’t know why.  This is not a problem I typically have.  However, I am very sleepy during the day, so that is frustrating.  My pets are doing a lot of scratching at night, which wakes me up.  I gave them both flea treatments this morning.  Putting flea powder on a cat can be dangerous.  I have the scratches to prove it.  He didn’t appreciate it very much.  And early this morning, I moved my foot and he pounced on it with claws out.  Talk about a rude awakening.  That hurt!  I didn’t have my comforter last night, since it is drying, and claws went right through the blanket.  Cas was acting a little traumatized after his flea treatment.  He held still while I put it on him (the liquid kind you put on their back), but he was quiet the rest of the morning.  When I was leaving, he scooted out the door into the hall of my building, which he never does.  Poor baby.  He was kind of quiet on our walk this morning, too, come to think of it.  And that was before the flea treatment.
 
I am quite sleepy at work today, and quite “unbusy,” which is a bad combination.  I sometimes wish caffeine gave me a bigger buzz.  It just doesn’t, much.
 
I got another massage today.  The headaches do seem to be improving.  My massage therapist is truly awesome.  It is amazing to me what she can tell by just how things feel to her.  She was asking a lot of questions about my neck surgery today.  She said she can feel all this scar tissue in there that is likely winding around a lot of things, including my vocal chords.  I am hopeful she is going to be able to help my voice.  Other people probably cannot tell it when I sing, but I can feel it and my voice tires and gets hoarse very easily.  Sometimes it feels like I have a big lump in my throat.  It also can set off a bad headache.  All the things she was saying made that make more sense.  She told me things to do to help work the adhesions loose.  And all this should help my headaches.  She said she was taking a cervical and thoracic spine course next week and she was going to pay special attention to areas she might need to work on in me.  When I walked into her office, she had been to the restroom and was walking in behind me.  She said, “your lower back is hurting, isn’t it?”  It is hurting a little, as I said before.  She worked on it quite a bit.  She did this one thing where she held both of my legs straight out in front of me for quite a while.  She might have been slightly pulling on them.  After a while, everything started to relax except this one area which went down the side of my left hip and across the top of my left thigh and on down my leg.  I was kind of wincing and put my hand there, and she said, “it’s revealing where the hurt is coming from, isn’t it?”  It was hurting and I didn’t think I was going to be able to keep it up, except she was the one doing it, not me.  It’s just amazing to me the knowledge she has.
 
I absolutely love this blog I am reading now (300 Pounds Down).  I highly recommend it.  If you need some encouragement, you will find it.  This woman has so much faith and so much courage and so much insight.  When I think things are hard, all I have to do is read what she has been through.
 
I worked a little late and got home and had a nagging headache.  I didn't feel like fixing dinner.  There is a new place nearby called Freshii.  They salads and wraps and burritos, all with very healthy ingredients.  I ordered a burrito that sounded good.  After I ate it, I tracked it and that burrito had 23 points!!!  I'm not sure I would have done that had I known.  I did have the extra points available, since didn't worry about it too much.  At least it was health stuffy, but when I got to thinking about it, it was very carby.  It was a whole wheat wrap with brown rice, black beans, chicken, corn, red onion, tomatoes and cheese (maybe a couple of other things I can't remember).  It had a barbecue sauce on it.  Everything was healthy, but probably a little unbalanced.  Now I would like something else, like some fruit or something, but I don't feel like going to the effort of putting it together.  Watermelon and cantaloupe require some prepping.  I got my new Yonanas machine in yesterday and could make that, but I just don't feel like it with this headache.  Maybe I will in a bit.
 
That's it for tonight.  I'm going to read some more of 300 Pounds Down.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sheryl! It's so great that you have such a knowledgeable massage therapist. It sounds like she reads you really well. I hope your pain gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kris. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't amazing how many points are in some shit! But I would take it in stride - it was all healthy ingredients - just shake off your boots and move on - you had the points for it too!

    I find if I don't prep my fruit when I get home, it almost always goes bad. Happy Friday!!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl