Search This Blog

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Here We Go Again

If you are new to my blog, you may not know all that happened last year around this time.  My daughter, Stephanie, was having a lot of stomach problems which eventually turned out to be an obstruction in her small intestine (from scar tissue from an earlier surgery).  She was in the hospital in June for 8 days, I believe.  After that, she still wasn't feeling well and kept going to the doctor with them telling her it was just going to take her some time to recover.  In August, she went back to the ER with severe abdominal pain, which turned out to be a second obstruction (actually, the first one was never fixed completely).  She was in the hospital another 8 days.

There has been several times during the last year her stomach didn't feel right and she kept worrying about another obstruction.  In fact, just a few weeks ago, they did exploratory surgery to make sure that was not going on, when all tests were turning out negative.  "No obstruction."  They put her on a medication because they said she had probably become too sensitive to pain in that area and this medicine should help with that.  She called me last night and said her stomach was hurting really bad.  Then she called me in the middle of the night and said it was getting worse, so decided she should go to the ER.  I did not go with her, since Bethany borrowed my car and I had no way to get to her.  She called a few minutes ago and she is obstructed again.  She will have surgery in a few hours.

So they just went in maybe 3 weeks ago and said there was no obstruction building, but now she has an obstruction.  Since she has one, there is no reason not to think that she will have one again in a year, and again the next year.  This is not a good thing.  Prayers appreciated.

For now, I just have to work with where things are.  All this mess, plus the fact that Steph lost her job after the second obstruction, threw everything into a tailspin.  I battled for a while, but eventually succumbed to the pressure and "fell off the wagon" for a while.  Which meant I gained back some weight and had to take that weight off all over again.  I don't want that to happen again.  So I need a battle plan.

While Steph is in the hospital, I think I am going to do some days with protein bars or shakes for breakfast and lunch, supplemented by fruit and raw veggies, and then eat a reasonable dinner.  This makes things easier from a planning standpoint.  I don't know yet if I will come home in the evening and sleep at home, or if I will try to stay up at the hospital.  If I do come home, I want to at least plan on getting my morning workout on the recumbent bike.  Being at the hospital usually means a lot of sitting around, which makes me hurt.  So I need to plan on walking the halls every hour or so.  And in the afternoon, take a longer walk around the halls.  This will be a good time to take a break from watching TV and get some reading done.  So I will take a couple of books with me, as well as my laptop, so I can read blogs and stay in touch.

I also don't know if I will try to work while Steph is in the hospital.  I have the time available to take off and things are a little slow right now, so I might can do that.  I'll just have to see.  My backup is under a lot of pressure with other things and I don't want to add to her load, but....

I'm just trying to get my thoughts together on this.  I'm going to have to become a professional hospital visitor, as much as I seem to be doing this.  I have to learn how to manage this situation without losing ground on my own efforts to be healthy.  Sometimes when I am sitting around the hospital, all I want is a bag of M&M's.  Hopefully the fact that I am off of sweets will help.

Another challenge will be drinking all my water.  I'm going to fill some bottles and take them with me (I have bottled water at home).  Other than that, I will have to drink tap or buy it there at the hospital.  I will also take my beloved Topo Chicos (which is sparkling mineral water).  I enjoy those.

That's it for now.  I'll check in later (and may post a lot during the hospital stay -- it keeps me more sane).

There is also the issue of taking care of my pets.  Last summer, we were all still living together in one house, so my dog got taken care of along with the girls' dogs (by Bethany).  But now I live alone with a dog and a cat and they will need care.  As I type this, my cat is laying here beside my computer trying to catch the moving cursor.  He is so funny, but it makes it hard to type.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl