Search This Blog

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Friday's Post -- A Little Late

Friday

I overslept this morning and woke up feeling a little under the weather.  It’s strange, because I have headaches all the time, but when I have a different kind of headache than usual, it’s like I can’t cope with those as well.  I’m pretty sure this morning it is sinus.  I woke up feeling kind of stuffy and coughing a bit.  I didn’t get my workout done, since I woke up late.  I will try to get it done tonight or this weekend.  At least I still have 5 for the week, plus the little bit of toning I did (for which I have sore tummy muscles).  I took some allergy medication, so we’ll see if that helps with my symptoms.
 
I feel that little lag in motivation that is normal – you’re going to have days like that – but I want to make sure it doesn’t grow into anything bigger.  I was hungry this morning and ate a peanut butter sandwich earlier than I normally would have eaten breakfast.  I didn’t have any easy fruit, so didn’t eat any – going to have to remedy that situation quickly.  I went to work knowing I was still a little hungry and intended to get a banana at the convenience store.  They were out.  I ate a little 100-calorie pack of almonds.  Still not bad, but I’m starting out “unstructured” enough that I know I need to get handle on it before the day gets too much further along.  Starbucks has bananas, so when the line cleared out, I got one from there.
 
I am feeling like I want a quieter weekend this week, but I don’t guess that is to be.  I have a family reunion, of sorts, to go to, and I committed to bringing refreshments to our class on Sunday.  I feel like I need some time for cleaning, planning and preparing food, etc.  I don’t guess there is any law that says I have to stay the whole time of the reunion.  I could go for 3-4 hours.  We will see.  I am going to try to get a lot done tonight, so in the morning I won’t feel like I have such a heavy load.
 
I was noticing this morning that I was starting to feel that lack of motivation I talked about earlier.  Since I do recognize it, I think it is important that I do something to “head that off at the pass.”  Kris’ blog talked about potholes.  That’s kind of what this is, except I see this one coming.  That means I need to steer away from it.  First, I’m trying to think where this is coming from.
 
1.      One thing I recognize is that the scale is being fickle.  I had an initial early loss earlier this week, but my weight is back up a little (still a net loss), despite eating on plan and exercising all week.  This could be because I missed taking my BP med a couple of days, which has a diuretic in it.  I will make sure to drink at least 64 ounces of water today (plus I took my medicine last night and this morning).  If that’s what it is, that should take care of it.  The added exercise could also be making me retain fluid.  (As of 4:45, I had drank 72 ounces of water, so whatever more I drink is bonus.)
2.      There is a family issue that is bugging me.  I won’t go into details about it, since family members read my blog.  I need to resolve it so it is not hanging over me.  (To my sisters – nothing to do with you two.)
3.      I’m tired and not feeling 100%.  I will bounce back if I don’t do stupid stuff and let this grow into more than it is.
Second, I need to think what I can do to pump up my motivation.
 
1.      One thing that perked me up a little this morning after I recognized the lag is I have a skirt hanging out where I can see it in my closet (actually, a whole outfit, but the skirt is what doesn't fit yet).  I am getting closer to getting into that skirt, and it is really cute, so that is a motivation.
2.      There was a FB post on my page this morning that said I am currently in 5th place in my DietBet challenge.  That kind of gets my competitive juices going.  Not that I can do a lot more than what I am already doing, but it makes me want to keep going.  I’m very glad I started that challenge.
I also need to focus on what I need to be doing to stay on track.  I need to stay busy.  I recognize that I am probably more tired than I should be all the time.  Perhaps vitamins on a regular basis would help?  If I am tired, I need to rest, not eat.  I did get a better night’s sleep last night because I wore ear plugs.  The pets didn’t wake me up as much.  Spending a little time today and this evening getting things in better shape at home will also help, so I am going to focus in on that today, so my weekend will be more pleasant.  That will help with some underlying frustration.  I have already proved this week how a few minutes of concentrated cleaning really make a difference.  Things are not really that bad – a few minutes will put things to right pretty quickly.
 
I received an e-mail yesterday from someone I had never heard of, have never had a comment from, etc. who wanted to do a guest post on my blog.  If this was a legitimate thing, I don’t mean to offend, but that just didn’t set right with me.  It made me wonder as to the motive.  Anyway, for now, my blog is mostly for me.  I need an outlet.  I know that many times I give way too many details and talk about things other people might not.  One day this blog may morph into a more traditional one where posts are more organized and have a specific message.  Right now, they are just me trying to work through weight loss issues and anything connected to that.  And I really do hope that some things I say might help someone.  Perhaps other people think exactly the same thing and this validates how they are feeling.  I also hope it will help when I go back and read and see where I came from.  So I don’t think my blog is really an appropriate venue, at this point, for a guest post.  And if that ever happens, it will be someone I know, at least by what they write in their own blog or comment on mine.
 
I went home for lunch and I was having trouble thinking of what I wanted to eat.  I perused the contents of my refrigerator and freezer (which is a dangerous way to do meal planning) and saw a cubed steak in the freezer.  I knew I could thaw that quickly and cook it quickly, so I did that and made a hamburger, of sorts.  I seasoned it with salt, pepper and worcerstershire sauce and cooked it until just done.  I melted a slice of reduced fat pepper jack on top.  I toasted a whole wheat sandwich thin and put some honey mustard on it.  I put the meat, cheese and some lettuce on it and that was it.  It was good and kind of hit the spot.  I had some pop chips and some watermelon to go with it.  I have been good with the Pop chips this time.  I have only eaten them with meals.  I had two servings left, and it was tempting to eat the rest of what was there, but I didn’t.  I only ate one serving.
 
After I finished eating I did some picking up at home.  Things look better than when I left home this morning, so that feels good.  I will do some more this evening.
 
My headache this morning has morphed into a bad one.  So maybe it wasn’t sinus, because now my throat is aching (like the area of my surgery), so I must have done something to set it off.  Ugh.
 
I was reading Holly’s blog today (300 Pounds Down).  Her post was exactly what I needed.  If you haven’t read it, see it here.  It was also kind of affirming, because I do some of the things she talks about and have even talked about it on my blog (and I didn’t get it from any book).  I’m talking mainly about the part of “acting as if.”  If I am feeling less than confident or shy, sometimes it helps to “pretend” like I am already all the things I want to be.  It is a lot about self-talk.  And if I pretend like I am an organized person, for example, I am more organized.  This is part of what I was doing Sunday at class.  I don’t feel outgoing or confident when I don’t know people, but you would have never known it by watching me Sunday.  If I am feeling shy, I pretend I am not.  Sometimes I will even say I am feeling shy and that I am stepping out and not letting myself be that way.  I told one lady I was talking to that I was bad about standing there a minute to see if anyone would talk to me, and if they didn’t, I would hurry out and go on to service.  I told her that I was making a point to not do that Sunday.  It got the conversation going and we chatted a good little bit.  I want to work on the “Do a 180” part of what Holly was saying.  Sometimes my self-talk will be asking myself what my ex-husband would expect me to do in this situation and to do the opposite.  Sometimes it will be my kids or coworkers.

I am going to work on some of these things this very weekend.  It’s just what I needed to hear with the lag in motivation I was feeling this morning.

2 comments:

  1. Re the guest post request - I get those ALL THE TIME. And never accept...I know people come to my blog to read what I write, not some rando person who is pushing their own agenda. My two cents on those emails. ;)

    Hope you have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly, Shelley. And you are right. I come to your blog to read about you. Be blessed!

      Delete

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl