Search This Blog

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Massage Therapy

Another rough morning, motivationally speaking.  I overslept, and as soon as I opened my eyes, there was the headache.  I keep thinking, “What is wrong with me?” (meaning my motivation).  I am so used to coping with a headache that sometimes I forget.  Many times, just getting through my days at work, or getting myself off to work every day, is doing a lot.  Speaking of which, that has been tough lately.  If I went by how I feel every morning, I would almost never go to work.  I still feel like I need time off.

I am supposed to get another massage today, so we will see if that helps any.  Something has to give with these headaches.  This morning it is a bad one.  No coping with this one on a long-term basis.  I will talk to the doctor about it Saturday.  The trouble is, so many doctors start out trying to diagnose it as migraines when they hear how often I have them.  But treating it as a migraine has never worked.  I took Topamax late last year.  It didn’t help, and I felt dopey all the time.  Not drugged, but like I couldn’t remember things or pull up the right word.  I read somewhere that Topamax is nicknamed “Dopamax,” and I found that appropriate.  It wasn’t helping enough, so I quit taking it.  I am going to tell the doctor about my reading and how the description of “cervicogenic headache” describes my symptoms to a T.  The thing is, I have to decide if I am ready to spend big bucks on some of the treatments for it (injections, etc.).  If the injections are anything like those I have had in my back, they will cost somewhere around $1,200 each.  I hope that more conservative treatment, such as massage therapy, will help.

I am doing a regular (WW) eating day today (no protein bars, etc.).  I had a banana when I first got up, since my stomach was growly and I needed to take some medicine.  Breakfast was a peanut butter sandwich (2 slices light bread with 2 T. peanut butter) for 7 points.  I had another banana mid-morning (I know that is probably not a good idea, but it seemed the best option at the time – I was really hungry).  I took an appetite suppressant I have used in the past, just to see if it would help get my appetite on a better plane.  I was hungry again around 11:00 and so ate some baby carrots.  I also drank down some water.

Later

I have now had my massage and my lunch.  I feel much better after the massage.  I don’t know how long it will last, but it is definitely helping.  She will be gone on vacation next week, so unless I find someone else next week, I will have to suffer through until she gets back.  I know that as I have them on a regular basis, what she is doing will begin to stick.  Then I can just get one every couple of weeks to maintain.  $1 a minute for a 20-30 minute massage is affordable.  During these massages, she does a lot of work, pushing my shoulders down.  And as I was sitting here at my computer, I had my elbows propped, one on the desk at my left side, and my right one on the arm of my chair.  Doing this lifts my shoulders into a slight “shrug.”  Remembering the work the MT had been doing, I put my elbows at my sides, causing my shoulders to drop significantly, and instantly, I felt tension lift from my neck and shoulders.  After having to have the cervical fusion a couple of years ago, I have wondered if the fact that I slept in a chair for pretty much 3 years (it made my lower back feel better than the bed I had at the time) caused the breakdown in my cervical spine that led to the surgery.  As was the case at my desk, while sleeping I kept my elbows propped on the arms of the chair and kept my shoulders in a perpetual shrug as I slept every night.  This may have made my lower back feel better, but I am betting it contributed to my neck problems.  So I will try to watch myself and not do that at my desk or watching television from my recliner.  Shoulders down feels much better!

For lunch, I had a wrap made with a spinach wrap, grilled chicken, guacamole, lettuce, pico de gallo, some pickled jalapeno slices, a little sprinkling of cheese and some salsa.  I was hungry for the Mexican flair.  It was pretty good, but I could get something much better at Chipotle.  I wish the downtown one was a little closer.  I watched them make it, and added up the points and it came to 8.  Not bad.  I also had some strawberries.  These were good ones – yum!

Now, if I could only have a nap….

For a snack I had a light key lime yogurt, 2 points.  Dinner was leftover Swiss Steak with some mashed potatoes, and some grapes.  I ended the day with some popcorn to use the rest of my points.  If everything holds steady, I stayed within my points target today.  Now, I'm off to walk Cas, then do a few more chores before bed.  Thanks goodness tomorrow is Friday and next week is a 4-day work week (although we have to come back Friday after being back Thursday; what a bummer).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl