Search This Blog

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Headache

I woke up this morning with a headache and that was it, I called in.  My desk is in good shape and Jerry is gone.  I needed a day to regroup.  I stayed on the muscle relaxants today and planned to go get a chair massage, but was so knocked out, I slept all afternoon.  I haven't been wearing my neck collar at night -- the pets dragged it off somewhere -- so need to start doing that.  I found it under the bed.  I probably should get massages twice a week for a while to get things to settle down.

I have done a lot of reading on my headaches and I believe I have what is called cervicogenic headaches.  Every few years, I go through a battery of tests to see what is wrong and we always come back to the same thing -- headaches are caused by tight muscles in the neck and shoulders.  When I read the description for cervicogenic headaches, it described me to a tee.  The headache is referred from the hard structures or soft tissues of the neck.  I always have this knot of pain at the base of my skull and the headache wraps around from there to my forehead and temples.  Many things can cause it -- certain movements of the neck, etc.  I would probably do a lot better if I did not have to sit at a computer all day.  So I have to manage the build-up of that tension and tightness.  20 years of almost daily headaches is no fun.  Sometimes I get a little too adept at coping instead of looking for solutions.  It is easy to get caught up in the cycle of them so that I am just making it through my days and that's it.

I did a protein bar day today.  Between resting and taking care of my headaches, I worked on the loft and got it fairly clean and peaceful.  Cas is driving me crazy with too much pent-up energy.  I am not walking him enough.  I really have to find ways to tire him out more.  He got a little dose of melatonin this morning to help him calm down.

The other thing I decided, until I can get to the doctor, is I am going to get me some St. John's Wort, which is a natural supplement that helps with depression.  Bethany has borrowed my car this week because her alternator went out, so I didn't get to the doctor today.  I have been trying to find a new one to go to, closer to where I live now.  I haven't settled on anyone yet.  I prefer a woman doctor -- they seem to be more understanding, for the most part.

Even though I am still struggling with my eating, I feel like I am making some progress.  I am dealing with a lot of emotional stuff that is a part of why I overeat.  I am thinking about going on a holding pattern with my withdrawal until I get going on a good eating plan on a consistent basis.  Plus I need the medicine when the headaches get really bad.  These particular headaches are not rebound headaches.  I can tell because of how tight the muscles in my neck and shoulders are.
I want to do some stretching exercises and see if they help, but I am a little nervous doing that since wrong movements set them off.  But I probably should go ahead and try since I am having them anyway.  I'm sure that would help with the muscle tension.  I will just have to pay attention to what works and what doesn't.

I did well on just the protein bars and that makes me feel better.  I had some meat thawed out that needed to be cooked, so I made this Swiss steak recipe.  I will have dinner all ready for me tomorrow.  I just need to make some mashed potatoes to go with it.

I'm afraid I am still having the headache this evening.  I will try to nip it in the bud tonight and break the cycle of it.  It really is wearing on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl