Search This Blog

Monday, June 3, 2013

Happy 53 to Me!

I’m going to try to get a little post done today.

Today’s my birthday!  I am now 53 years old.  Not where I wanted to be on my 53rd birthday, but I have made a lot of progress the last year, so that is good.

I had a good weekend.  My sister (the one just older than me) came to see me and we had a good visit.  It was an enlightening day.  I don’t want to say anything that would compromise my sister’s privacy, and I was sad to hear some of the things she shared with me, but I came away realizing that I am not as abnormal as I often think I am.  I have long felt that I was the sibling with all of the problems and that they all did a better job with their lives than I have, but I realized that we all have our struggles and I am doing just fine, especially considering the plate that was set before me.  I am not “the weak one.”  None of us is.  We all do the best we can with life as it comes.

I think that the fact that I have had to work so hard to make a living and to be there for my kids has actually been a blessing for me.  It definitely has made me stronger.  It seems in excess to some, at times, but without it, I would have been struggling with some other areas that I just don’t have time to pay that much attention to.  I don’t have the luxury of entertaining some of my weaknesses – like my tendency toward reclusiveness.  And part of that thing I call reclusiveness is actually pretty normal.  I work long, hard hours without days off for longer periods of time.  There is no wonder when I finally get some days off that I just want to stay home.  And that is perfectly okay.  I need to stop beating myself up about it.

I got my loft pretty well cleaned up for my sister’s visit and I have decided I need to have company every weekend.  It gives me the incentive to keep things cleaner and I feel so much better when things are clean and tidy.  I am going to try to maintain now.

So my sister came to town and she and I and my daughters met my brother and his wife to eat at a place in Arlington – Chop House Burgers.  I didn’t even try to be good, I have to admit.  I got the Blacken Bleu Burger.  It was okay, but the bleu cheese was very strong and kind of overpowered everything.  We ordered two sides to share between me and my daughters – sweet potato fries and some onion rings.  I loved the onion rings, and the sweet potato fries were good, but I’ve had some at other places I like better.  My daughters and I agreed that this place was really good, but we like Twisted Root Burgers better.  My sister brought cupcakes for my birthday, and I had a German chocolate one.  I absolutely love coconut.  It was good!

After that, my sister came home with me to see my loft and we visited for the rest of the day.  In the evening we walked down to a place near my loft called Sol Irlandes (a Mexican food restaurant).  We shared an order of fajitas.  It was really good and we enjoyed ourselves.  I have been wanting to check that place out (I walk by it all the time when I walk my dog) and will definitely be going there again.

Sunday, I got up and walked Cas and then went to class at church.  I went to the class I had been intending to go to last time.  It is a very large class of people near my age, and it seems like it is made up largely of professional people.  I think it will be a very good fit for me, with a great opportunity to make friends.  They have a lot of activities outside of Sunday morning, so I will have ample opportunities to get out and be with people.

I had to put in some OT this weekend, so did not go to Sunday service.  I left class and went straight to work.  I got to work at around 10:30 or so and I worked until 4:45.  My daughter picked me up and we went to eat at The Porch restaurant with both my daughters and my younger daughter’s boyfriend.  They bought my dinner, bless their hearts.  I wasn’t extremely hungry, since we had gotten sandwiches earlier at work.  Steph and I shared a crispy chicken cobb salad.  It was very good.  We also all shared appetizers of spinach dip and cheesy garlic bread.  After our entrees, we all 4 shared a dessert of Gooey Butter Cake.  None of this was dietetic, of course, but at least portions were reasonable.  After that, I was ready to spend the evening at home, so went home and spent the evening with my babies (pets).  They were both happy to see me and I spent the rest of the evening watching TV with the pets snuggling on my lap a lot of the time.  I dozed and watch some television and went to bed around 10:00.  I was satisfied, but pooped.  All in all, it was a very productive and enjoyable weekend.

I got up this morning and, except for a few little messes, my house was still nice and clean.  I picked up those messes and put away anything I had left out yesterday and the house is still in pretty good order.  I love how that feels, so want to try to keep it that way.

The last few days, my upper back, between my shoulder blades, has been really flaring up.  My tasks of the last couple of days have required a lot of repetitive motion over my desk, and it is only making it worse.  I am so ready to get away from this desk, after 10 straight hours without any break to speak of.

My daughters and Beth’s boyfriend are cooking me dinner tonight.  It is after 6:30 and I am just waiting to be let go.  I love my boss to pieces, but sometimes he does not have a good concept of time – or it’s not important to him.  Most of the time I don’t mind, but tonight I just want to go.

Tomorrow, I have to get back on track.  I was thinking what I need to do is to write out my eating plan for the rest of the week and do not deviate from it.  It’s time to break the cycle of eating too much, and then making up for it with only protein bars.

That’s it for today.  Hopefully I will get to go home soon for my birthday celebration.  This has been the best birthday (except for this present little thing at work) that I have had in years and years.  It just goes to show that you reap what you sow.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! Sounds like you had lots of fun celebrations with your loved ones, how wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday - awesome that you got to see your sister and have so much family time over the weekend!!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl