Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The Street Where I Live

I am still really tired.  It is a chore to make myself get out of bed, much less walk my dog and do my workout.  But I did all of that.  I got up around 6:00 and got out to walk Cas shortly afterward.  It is harder when it is cold outside.  Although it was really more pleasant than I thought it would be, since there was not much wind.  The wind really whips around the tall buildings around here and I think it is windier downtown sometimes more than it is in other parts of the city.  Walking down Main Street is not bad, since I am in the shelter of the buildings, but as soon as I cross an intersection, the wind hits me, and the park I walk to is not very sheltered.  I got started a little bit later than I would like, but I did 30 minutes on the recumbent bike.  I am not really pushing it right now, but at least I am doing it.  I also took the stairs down and back up when I walked Cas, and down again on my way to work.  I think the stair climbing is giving me a good little bit of extra activity.

I am kind of wondering if I should go to the doctor and find out if there is a reason I am so tired.  I think, though, before I do that, I will try vitamins and taking some time off.  I think I am going to have to have some time off before Memorial Day.  I am looking into that now.  It is not a great time for my boss, since he is going through a lot with his wife, who is having surgery today, but there is someone who can back me up (who, actually, is not doing so well either, but…).  I have to take off sometime.
I think, all in all, I did pretty well yesterday with my challenge.  It was a little touchy last night, because I was hungry and “snacky” feeling, but I wanted to get past this plateau more than I wanted to eat what I was thinking about eating (or most anything else that racked up much of any points).  The only thing I had after I posted last night was about a teaspoon of Nutella.  It could have been much, much worse.

I was feeling very restless, so I took a hot bath.  I fell asleep in the bathtub for about 10 minutes, lol.  I mean, I was out.  Then one of the pets did something to wake me up (I had the door closed).  The bath helped a little and I went on to bed after that.  I woke up hungry in the early morning hours and had a little trouble going back to sleep.  I have to stay very still or I get the pets all stirred up and then they think it is time to get up and they start romping all over the place, including all over me.  I tell you, I am going to have to get some kind of “armor” on my feet that doesn’t make me hot, so I can get my feet outside of the cover without my cat attacking them!  I’m serious!  Hopefully he will grow out of that.  I am getting hot flashes a lot, which I think is medication-related, but I get so hot and I want to throw the cover off of me, but then my cat thinks I am fair game.  Cas likes to curl up next to me, which will set off a hot flash, and sometimes I wake up and my cat is sleeping on my stomach, which will also set off a hot flash.  Arrrrgh!
I am wearing an outfit today, the top of which I don’t wear often because I feel like the color is kind of drab.  It is a turquoise kind of color, but it has a gray undertone that makes me feel that way.  I was sitting here at my desk and an attorney walked by and said, “Nice outfit, Sheryl – great color!”  Then another attorney complimented my outfit too.  So I guess I should get over it.  The pants I am wearing I have just gotten down into.  They say they are a size 20, but they have to be an 18 (or they fit like an 18).  Anyway, I must be losing a little, size-wise, or I would not have felt comfortable wearing these pants.

I’m not doing so well on getting off the Red Bulls.  I didn’t have any Sunday or Monday, but then had one yesterday and today.  I am just so tired.  Otherwise, I am just drinking water (but not enough yesterday).
I was able to go to lunch today, so got 3 walks done today (and 5 trips up and down the stairs).  And for the first time, my armband registered some "strenuous" activity!    I am feeling those stairs!  Not so much in my muscles as in my lungs.  You know that feeling in your lungs when you have exerted yourself – because you have forced your lungs to take in more air?

I decided I needed to start having more pictures in my blog.  I have never been much of a picture-taker, but will try to do more.  I wanted to give you an idea of where I live.  This is a set of photos I call “On the Street Where I Live.”
The street where I live -- Main Street, Dallas.  My building
is toward the right, before the one with the awnings.
I can see my building on the right in this one too.
 
This is the park I walk to every morning.
About a block and a half down the street.
This is the park I walk to at lunch time.
About 4 blocks from my loft.
This could have been taken from my window.
Pegasus Plaza.

This was taken from my window.
The Kirby building -- a historic building --
is across the street.  It has also been
converted into loft apartments.

I live a little ways down on the right.

This is the building where I work.
About a 5-minute walk around
the corner from my loft.
 Soon, I will take some pictures of the inside of my loft.  I have been meaning to do that forever, but haven’t done it.

Breakfast this morning was Banana Custard Oats with a tablespoon of chopped pecans (it is surprising how many pecans a tablespoon actually is).  I also had a banana a while after getting to work.  Come to think of it, I also had a small apple before my workout, since I woke up with a gnawing stomach.

Banana Custard Oats with pecans.
I was a little unprepared today, so for lunch I thawed out some beef vegetable stew I cooked a couple of weeks ago and then froze.  Along with that, I had some FSTG blue corn tortilla chips and some spicy guacamole, and some frozen peaches.

 
 
Snack was Dannon Light & Fit Greek yogurt.  I may stop buying this and just eat plain Greek yogurt with a little honey added to it (in the interest of eating cleaner).  But I will at least use up what I have.

Dinner was some more pork tenderloin, with potatoes and carrots.  I made a little gravy to go on it.  I need to remember when I cook pork tenderloin that it is not like roast, where cooking it a long time makes it better.  It needs to be a little rare.  It was decently flavorful, anyway.  I have some spice pastes I have been buying in the produce section.  I squirted a line of garlic paste, basil paste and chili pepper paste down the length of the pork tenderloin and then massaged it in to both sides, along with salt and pepper.  Not bad, and easy.  The gravy helped the dryness, and helped the potatoes be more appealing.  I also had some sautéed fresh string beans.

 
For evening snack I had a serving of whole wheat Ritz crackers with a tablespoon of Nutella (this is what I was craving last night).  (Forgot to take a picture of that.)
Interesting fact:  2,000 steps is approximately 1 mile.  I didn’t know that.  That means if I walk 10,000 steps per day, I am walking 5 miles a day.  Not bad.  I got 8,800 today.

I wish so much of life was not about trying NOT to eat certain things all the time and trying to MAKE myself eat (or drink) other things – like my water.  We were talking about this at lunch yesterday.  Wouldn’t it be nice if sweets were one of the essential food groups? “Hurry and eat your ice cream, Junior, so you can have some spinach for dessert.”  Sigh.  I know I can have ice cream or jelly beans or anything else I want.  I just want it too much of the time.  I don’t know that that will ever change.
Pretty good day.  3 walks, 1 recumbent bike workout and 5 trips up and down 4 flights of stairs.  I have to drink a little more water and then I'm going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl