Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Motivation Not Essential - Just Stick to Your Routine

Another day when I woke up not wanting to go to work.  I just want a break.  I also did not want to get on my recumbent bike and worked hard to talk myself out of it.  But guess what?  I did it.  30 minutes, even if it was only a slow steady pace (with a couple of intervals).

I ended up the day yesterday 2 points under my “limit”.  I am feeling hungry again this morning, though.  I had protein waffles with blueberry topping for breakfast.  It is a little bit of hunger, but it is also just wanting to eat.

My boss will be out of the office again today and tomorrow.  His wife was out of town and fell and broke her ankle and was in the hospital this morning.  So he has gone to be with her and bring her home.  So I will spend more time breaking down files from a completed case.  I kind of like days like this, but I have to motivate myself, and in my current mood, that is not so easy.

But days like today are examples of how you don’t have to be motivated all the time to do what you need to do to change your lifestyle.  I know what I need to do and I just need to stick to my routine, whether I feel like it or not.  That is what I told myself this morning when I didn’t want to work out.  There was no legitimate reason not to do it.  And when I really think it over, that is what I want for my life – to be active and to do regular workouts so I can be healthy and happy – and thinner.  I want that a lot more than my desire not to do a workout that morning.  I have never regretted going ahead and doing a workout when I didn’t feel like doing it to start with.  I am always glad I did it.  So I have to keep reminding myself of that.

My friend at work (who I talked about a few months ago) is (still) sick again.  Although she has been back to work since the end of December, she really has never recovered.  Her problems are a result of having gastric bypass surgery two or three years ago.  (I am so glad I was never able to make that happen for me.  I guess God knew what He was doing.)  The Office Administrator called me into his office to talk to me about her and he is worried she will never come back, if she doesn’t take care of herself now.  That means I will be handling her load, for the most part, while she is gone (for an undetermined amount of time – could be days, could be weeks).  That is not as big of a deal now as it was a few weeks ago, but still.  I pray for her healing and recovery (for her sake, not mine).  At this point, that seems the only hope for her not to have major issues to deal with for the rest of her life.  In the meantime, I will continue to make my health a priority – getting my weight down, developing an active lifestyle, taking time away from work, etc.  I want to take off a few days around Memorial Day.  I feel sure she will be back by then, but if not, they need to find a way for me to take some time off anyway.  I still am on burnout as far as work is concerned, even with the two days off last week (being sick).  We have another trial we are preparing for in June (an arm of our big case we have been working on).  It is not as major, but still, going to trial on anything is a big deal.  My friend works for an associate who is doing much of the preparation for trial, under my boss.  So that part will fall to me while she is gone, as well as taking care of my boss.

The Office Administrator said he told my boss that he needs to let me have time away from the office – time to go to lunch and not working late so often.  I have been able to do that most of the time during the last two weeks.  It is nice to get away and get a walk in with my dog.  And it has been wonderful to get to go home on time most nights.

Which reminds me – I was planning on trying to go to a class at the new church tonight.  However, they don’t have a singles class on Wednesday nights like I thought and the Bible studies are nearing the end of their rotation, so it is probably not a good time to start that.  Once I get involved and know this is where I want to stay, I can attend choir practice on Wednesday nights.  So I guess church will wait until Sunday.

My effort at getting off SF Red Bull is not going very well.  I got a bad headache this morning and then with the extra load from my friend being gone, I just didn’t want to deal with it.

Lunch today was a tuna salad wrap, FSTG blue corn tortilla chips, some baby carrots and a banana.  For snack I had some strawberries and some Greek yogurt.

The restaurant we are going to on Administrative Assistant’s Day is Sissy’s Southern Kitchen.  There is not much on that menu that is not fattening.  My strategy is to eat half of the portions and eat the other half for dinner.  That will cut down on points a lot.  I may just eat a piece of fruit and some Light & Fit Greek Yogurt for breakfast too (2 pts. Total), since we are going at 11:30.  I am thinking about getting Shrimp and Grits.  Everything else is either fried or I don’t care for it.  I could also get a steak.  But I have never had Shrimp and Grits before (even though I have lived in Texas all my life and it is supposed to be a southern dish).

I got home and my daughter was coming over to do laundry.  They haven’t gotten their washer and dryer set up since their move.  She brought her dogs and we took all three of them for a walk to the park.  We spent some time at the park throwing the ball for the dogs and then walked back.  It was a longer walk than I usually do at night, so I had 3 walks and a recumbent bike workout again today.

Dinner was some penne pasta with meat sauce made from ground turkey (8 pts.) with a half-ounce of part skim mozzarella (1 pt.)  and some roasted Brussels sprouts (1 pt. for the teaspoon of olive oil I used).  I had 5 points left after that and I had some whole wheat Ritz crackers with a tablespoon (total) of Nutella.

Doing pretty well this week, I think.  Two more morning workouts and I have met my goal.  Saturday should be fairly active, since I am going to a Rangers game.  It’s supposed to be rainy tomorrow, I think, so I may not get as many walks.  And we are supposed to go out to dinner Friday night, although it might turn out to be Saturday at lunch.  I’ll at least try to get some walks done over the weekend.

That’s it for tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl