Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Low Carb Diet = Tired (at first)

I am still very tired.  I think the reason for this is, I am on a very low carb diet, not to mention low calorie.  I am eating somewhere around 55-65 grams of carbs per day, which is pretty low.  That explains my general lack of energy.  When I get home at night, I can barely get through my dinner before falling asleep in the chair, and I am having trouble waking up as early as I usually do.  I am sleeping like a rock.  I am okay with this for this stage – I know it is only temporary.  It does make it difficult to get any added physical activity.  I am not going to beat myself up if I don’t get to the gym for the recumbent bike workout every day.  I realize now there is a legitimate reason I am feeling so tired.

I am still in enough pain that I want to continue this a while longer.  The pain also keeps me from getting the exercise I need and want, so I am okay with doing this for a few weeks as long as I am getting my weight down.

I probably will want to add carbs gradually when I transition out of this.  Or just be ready for a temporary weight gain.  I do think I want to keep doing this until I get down to 250, at least as long as I am losing regularly on it.  The reason for that is, I was stuck at 260 for a long time back in 2009, and I don’t want to “start” at that sticking place.  And I want to see how that extra 10 pounds off helps my pain levels.

So, I will continue with my walks, and will get in a recumbent bike workout when I feel up to it.  I did read that your body adjusts after a while, so maybe I will start feeling a little more energetic soon.  I will push myself for bike rides on the weekend.  I am sure the off-meal will boost my energy a little bit.

This also explains why I couldn’t seem to get enough carbs on my off-day.

I am wearing another “new” outfit today.  It is one of the pairs of pants I let the hem out on.  They are tighter than I would like, but probably will not be in a week or so.  They are also still shorter than I would like, but them getting looser will help with that too.  I am somewhere between 5’6” and 5’7” (I was always 5’7” until recently).  It seems average pants are a little shorter than I like and talls are too long, but when I buy new clothes, I typically buy talls.  This means I have to wear them with heels, but I usually do anyway.  Anyway,  I am feeling like I have a whole new wardrobe.

I’ve been thinking lately that when my pain level does improve enough (I am trusting that it will through weight loss), there will be no more need to take my medication and then I will have to deal with withdrawal.  Withdrawal is DIFFICULT.  I want to eat everything in sight when I am withdrawing.  I will just have to do it gradually and take as long as I need without completely cutting it off.  I think my back doctor will be okay with that.  If I gain a bunch of weight after feeling better, then I would just have to start taking it all over again.  One positive thing is that exercise seems to help with withdrawal symptoms, so I need to make use of that fact.  However, if I am at work when symptoms are hitting me, it’s not like I can just leave and go do some vigorous exercise.  So I will have to time my periods between tapered doses to fall at times when I am not at work.  Trouble is, sometimes that is when I am trying to sleep.  Oooooh, I am not looking forward to this.  I asked my internist about it last time I got a physical – if there was anything they could do to help you through that time.  She basically said no, you just had to realize that was the reason you wanted to eat everything in sight and just don’t do it.  She obviously has never been through any kind of withdrawal.  It is not that easy.  But it’s not here yet, so there is no reason to start worrying about it.  There have been a couple of times lately, though, that I haven’t thought to take any medication, because I wasn’t hurting, and withdrawal did start kicking in.  I just have to taper.  First cut down on dosage, then gradually decrease the frequency.  And use other means to get through it – like exercise – when I can.

I can’t remember if I have said this recently, but I have been thinking lately that some of the pain I attribute to radiating pain is really my knee (which is near bone on bone).  Sometimes I will step in such a way that causes a jarring pain to go out from that spot in my knee and I think that is really my knee itself hurting, not the nerve coming from my back (if that makes any sense).  I may have to get this knee fixed sooner than I had hoped.  But weight loss should help that too, so hopefully not.  The doctor said I was looking at knee replacement at some point.  Ugh.  That does not look fun.  Partial knee replacement doesn’t look as bad, and I may be a candidate for that.  We will just have to see when the time comes.

I am still reading Lori’s blog (am up to late 2009).  I love reading about all her workouts, etc.  It really motivates me.  I just wish I could do a lot of what she is talking about.  Need to keep working on my bike, so I can incorporate some longer rides into my lifestyle!  She has some recipes I want to try.  I am entering them into my recipe builder on WW online so I know how many points they have.  Interestingly, they add up to more points per serving of the full recipe, than the points of each ingredient separately and then added together.  That’s a bummer.  For instance, the blueberry topping she makes adds up to 4 points, when the points for each separate item are all zero.  Very strange.  I really want to try her protein pancakes and several of the toppings she has recipes for.  Looks really good, and I love pancakes!  My plan is to write up some meal plans for several days (or weeks) to have to fall back on when I transition to WW.  I do better when I have a set plan and I think this would help in a crunch.  Of course, if nothing else, I can always do the Subway diet for a day when I haven’t had time to plan.

There has been some bagels in the break room all day today.  I forget about it and then see them every time I walk through there to get water or go to the restroom.  Not a good thing to have around when I am craving carbs, but I have managed to ignore them all day.

No working late tonight, so I should be able to finish out my day “normally”.  I still haven’t eaten the last MF brownie.  Last night I had to work late, so switched my evening snack with my evening meal, so didn’t have it then, and the night before I just didn’t feel like eating it.  I wish those brownies tasted as good as they look, but the definitely do not.

Trucking along pretty well, I think.  I need to buy some groceries soon.  I have had fish for 4 nights straight and will again tonight.  It has tasted good every time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl