Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Headaches

The headaches have been rough and are not letting up.  I have pretty much decided they are rebound headaches.  I do have some plans on some treatment options, just in case, but I decided this afternoon I am going to start weaning myself off of the narcotics.

That means that the next few weeks could be pretty hellish.  Not that they aren't already, in some ways.

One thing I am going to try is some reflexology.  Whatever is wrong, I know I have problems with tension and tightness in my neck and shoulders and I have heard and read that reflexology can help that a lot.  So I am going to look into that.

I have an appointment with my spine doctor to talk to her about some alternatives to the narcotics.  I know she will mention the injections, but I cannot afford that right now (and they never really did a lot of good anyway).  Perhaps some other kind of anti-inflamatory or something will help.

I went to a headache doctor late last year and he is the one who told me I was having rebound headaches then.  He wanted to put me in the hospital for five days to strip the narcotics out of me and start me on a regimen to help the headaches.  I could not take the time off work then, so I just weaned myself off the narcotics myself.  But I gained 40 pounds in the process.  Then my back got really bad again and I had to go back on pain meds again.  So I am going to have to be very careful in the process this time.  I wish I had the money to go in the hospital to do this.  I really do.  It is so hard to break your dependence on them, even when you have not been abusing them.

The symptoms, as I remember them, are extreme restlessness, including restless legs, insomnia, irritability, and  wanting to eat everything in sight, especially sweets.  I am going to have to wean myself off of them much more slowly this time.  It is not worth gaining all that weight, because then I will have increased pain again, which will make me need the pain meds more again, which will start the cycle all over again.  I think beginning with next paycheck I will do the Subway Diet again and see if I can lose some weight during the process.  During the process of the restlessness, I need to use that opportunity for activity, including walking, riding my bike, going to the fitness center, and riding my recumbent bike (if I can get the guy over here to finally get it fixed).  I will have to be prepared for all of these negative side effects and have a game plan.

I know it will be very difficult and I will not want to do the right thing a lot of the time.  The most difficult part, I think, will be my cubie's candy bowl.  I don't know why she feels the need to have that thing.  I am going to have to make it an absolute no-no.  I am going to give myself permission to sleep a lot when I am not working, mainly because when I have a headache, that is often the only way I can get away from it.  When I am working will be the most difficult part.  But sometimes when my head hurts, I feel naseous.

If I can steel myself to a difficult couple of months, by the first of next year, I could be feeling a lot better and possibly have a good little bit of weight off, which will help my back pain.  The back pain hasn't been toooo bad lately, anyway.

In the meantime, I have been pretty miserable the last few days.  I am on the verge of tears a lot of the time, but if I give in to them, that sets off the headache even worse, which makes me really nauseous, etc., etc.  I am taking way too many pills just trying to get through my days (most OTC).  That is not good.  I am sitting on the heating pad a lot when I get home, trying to get my muscles to relax.  I did get my muscle relaxants filled today, hoping that will help some.

One more thing to deal with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl