Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Another Surgery

I woke up this morning with my stomach churning and feeling pretty stressed.

I don’t think I have said anything about it yet, but Stephanie is having another knee surgery, and it is today.  I did not even ask off work this time – there is so much going on.  You have to understand, this is somewhere around the 15th surgery in the last 4 years or so.  I know it has to bother her that no one is going to be there during the surgery itself.  I just need more help.  I am taking her and dropping her off, and her sister will be there as soon as she gets off work at 4:00.  So, hopefully, she will be there when Stephanie wakes up.

One reason I did not want to ask off is my co-worker, who used to be a recruiter for a company that places employees in law firms, is helping Stephanie in her job search and will provide a recommendation, to a certain degree.  I don’t really want her to know about this surgery because I am afraid it will weaken her confidence in Stephanie.

I have to go in to each one of these believing and hoping it will be the last one.  But, so far, that is not working.  Stephanie had congenital problems with her feet from birth.  The way they are shaped and aligned caused her to walk pretty pigeon-toed and the alignment of her legs, particularly her left one, is affected by this.  It all started when she was in high school and her kneecap popped off, and kept popping off.  She had surgery to stabilize that.  Later, they diagnosed the foot issues and she has had 5 foot surgeries.  A lot of them have been because she had nerve damage on the left foot caused from a wound infection and scar tissue (Stephanie scars very heavily).  Her knee began giving her problems again, and they did another knee surgery and did a tibial transfer (actually moved the bone and pinned it in a different alignment).  I don’t understand it all.  Now, a ligament on the top of her knee is torn and the knee cap is popping off again, so they have to repair it.  So, it is not major, major surgery, but I would still rather be there.

Bethany is going to take her to my house after the surgery and she will likely stay there for a couple of days.  One reason she wants to stay there is that I have cable and she and her sister do not.  Lol.  But I can imagine she will need something to occupy her during her recuperation.

She is going right back to work in her nanny position on Monday.  She is keeping a 3-month-old, who is very easy to care for, and there is a way to push her around so Stephanie doesn’t have to carry her.  I am a little skeptical about that, but the doctor says this is a quick recovery, although she will be on crutches at first.  One good thing is that her nanny job has gone from 3 days a week to 5 days a week.  That will be a little more money.  The trouble is, they are not paying her very much at all.  But it is better than nothing until she finds something else.

As funny as it seems, what I woke up worrying about was the dog.  He is taking a lot of attention since I have moved.  If he doesn’t get walked enough, he gets very restless and ornery and whines a lot.  I was not able to walk him last night because I worked too late, and I will not be able to walk him at lunch because I will be taking Stephanie to the hospital.  When I get home, Stephanie will need attention and he will need to be walked.  I hope he doesn’t drive her crazy.  But the dogs at their apartment would probably do the same.  Bethany will have to make sure they get walked and exercised.  Stephanie has been doing most of that for them.  When I say I was worrying about the dog, it is not him I am worried about, but me – I don’t want him driving me crazy when I am home.  I wish I could pay a dog walker, but I am strapped too much right now with the extra expenses.  I had to make a payment on Stephanie’s COBRA insurance, which was over $500.  I have to make sure I hold back as much money as possible, because I will likely be having to cover other expenses for her this month, and another COBRA payment at the 1st of next month.  I sincerely hope she will have another job by the end of October or first part of November.  This knee surgery and recovery is not helping any.

So, I am stressed.  Because I worked late last night, I did some snacking at work during the evening.  I ate some peanut butter crackers and a granola bar.  I decided that when I got home, I was just going to eat some fruit and that would be it.  I did that, but also ate a few crackers.  Not what I wanted to do, but still not too bad of a day.


I have now dropped Stephanie off at the hospital and come back to work.  I tell you, that does not feel good.  It just doesn’t feel right.  But I didn’t have much choice.  Today turned out to be (so far) one of the busiest days I have had in a long time, with clients and co-counsel in and running back and forth to help with that.

Later Still

Surgery went fine and she is with her sister right now.  It is 7:15 p.m. and I am still at work.  What a day.  I just want to go home.

1 comment:

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl