Search This Blog

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Well, What Do You Know?

Well, what do you know?  I braved the scale this morning, even though my eating has been very inconsistent.  I was down 3 pounds from the last time I logged my weight on the WW website.  I attribute this loss to all the walking.  I am walking virtually everywhere now, including walking my dog 3 times a day most days.  I guess it has been doing more good than I knew.

My “official” weigh-in days are Saturday, so I will wait to log my weight until then.  But this was just the boost I needed to encourage me to step it up.  If I can lose that much eating like I have been, just think how good I can do if I eat better.

I ended up working pretty late last night – until 9:15 p.m.  My boss said he was not going to try to get into the office until early afternoon at the earliest today (he has been extremely busy the last few weeks – most of it out of town in depositions), and he said we might be working late tonight, so why didn’t I come in at 10:00 today.  So that is what I did.  However, when I left last night, I was pretty hungry.  I had decided to stop by this one place to get me something to eat, and although their sign says they close at 2:00 a.m., they were locked up tight.  Everywhere else (except Subway, which I was not in the mood for) would have taken longer than I wanted or was closed, so I just went on home.  My dinner consisted mostly of carbs.  Not good.  So I didn’t finish out very well last night.  If I had been prepared, I would have done fine, because I wasn’t having a lot of “uncontrollable” cravings.  When my mind is set, I usually have a plan for such situations, and last night I did not.  So I am going to work on that.

This morning, first, I got up at 5:30 and just took the dog out to potty.  I was not ready to get up, but he was insistent.  He was raring to go, but I wasn’t.  So, after that, I got comfy on the couch and slept until 6:30.  Then I got up and got out the door to take him for a walk.  I knew, going in at 10:00, that I would not be going home for lunch, so I took him for a long walk (about 30-45 minutes).  When I got back to the apartment, I made some chili (a recipe from Rachael Ray - minus the avocado sour cream this time - that is soooo good), and brought that and an apple for lunch.

If I do have to work late, I am going to go over to Subway and get me some dinner.  I have been shying away from Subway because it has a lot of carbs, but it would have been better than what I had last night.  Or I could plan ahead and get a salad from Potbelly, but then if I don’t work late, I have done that for nothing.  I will decide.  I wish there were more places open at night around here.  A lot of places just cater to the work crowd and close up at around 2:00.  Hopefully, as more and more people are living downtown (there are already a lot!), the restaurants will start catering to the residents too, instead of just the working community.

I am getting my grocery list all finalized and meal plans made so I will have things to eat and a plan at all times in the next couple of weeks.  That makes a big difference for me.  I am having to get used to this living by myself thing.  I am focusing on meals.  If I get in good meals, it really cuts down on my grazing between meals.

My boss and I had an interesting conversation last night.  He was asking me what I wanted for Christmas.  It started with him asking me about my loft, how I like it, etc.  Then he moved to, did I need anything for it and what did I want for Christmas.  I really do not need much in the way of furniture.  I had to downsize to move in, so I have pretty much everything I need.  I told him there was one thing I wanted, but it was too expensive for me to ask him for it for Christmas.  He wanted to know what it was.  I told him I wanted an adjustable bed.  He asked how much they cost and I said at least $1,000 or more.  Then I told him I had also been wanting an Electra Cruiser bicycle and I told him about that.  He told me to research those two things and find out what they would cost, etc. and let him know.  He said I had been “a very, very good girl this year, except for that whole Labor Day week thing.”  (He doesn’t like it when I am gone.)  :)

Anyway, I did find an adjustable bed frame for $820 before taxes and shipping, etc.  (I would just put my tempurpedic mattress on the frame.)  I will show him that.  I don’t know if he will spend that much or not, but he might, because he is the most generous person I have ever met.  Maybe I should try to rent some kind of an adjustable bed, just to see how I do on it.  I would hate to spend all that money on it and then it not do what I need it to do.  In some ways, I would rather have the bicycle.  But I am much more likely to be able to buy the bicycle for myself sooner (I got an unexpected small check in the mail -- the last distribution from my father's estate, plus I have some left in savings, if I can hold off spending it because of Stephanie being out of a job) than I would be able to buy the bed.  We will see how it works out.  I certainly don’t expect him to spend that kind of money on me, but if he wants to, I guess I will let him.  :)

The bicycle would fit in with the lifestyle I am wanting to build.  I can use it to get to places in downtown that are a little further away or when I need to do something a little faster than I could walking there.  I also want to be able to ride the bicycle while running Cassie on a leash to help burn off some of his energy.  I couldn’t do that in heavy traffic, but I could take the bicycle to Katy Trail and do it, or could do it early in the morning before there is much traffic.  I would want to get a basket for it, and I could put Cassie in the basket until I got to a safe area for him to run, and could put him in it when he got tired.  He is just so much easier to handle when he does not have too much pent-up energy, and it is hard for me to walk enough at this point, with my back and legs hurting like they are, to burn off enough energy.  He could burn it off a lot faster running.  I do hope to be able to roller blade at some point, and could run him that way on Katy Trail.  Again, all part of the new lifestyle I want to build.

Already, I am being more active just by walking everywhere.  I do think I am going to start climbing the stairs some and see how I do.  Going down hurts too much, but going up didn’t hurt last time.

Ultimately, I want to get to where I can take some enjoyable bike “trips”.  I don’t know what kind of places there are to do that around here, but I am sure there are some.  Since I likely will never be able to be a runner, I want to be avid biker.  The Cruiser will be a good thing for me to start with and a good thing for around downtown.

If you can’t tell, that 3-pound loss boosted my motivation.  I really want to get moving.  I am drinking my water and feel like I can stay on track with my eating.  It was just what I needed to turn things around.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful weigh-in! It's amazing how a great loss can spur you to work even harder toward your goal. Yes, I'd say all that dog walking is really helping, but so is your eating. Nice job, Sheryl. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shelley. Such a nice surprise!

      Delete

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl