Search This Blog

Friday, September 28, 2012

Getting Back in the Groove

Yesterday was the first day in quite a while, it seems like, that I had a good eating day, all the way through.  I had tracked my eating up until I left work and I had 16 points left.  I made a “stir-fry” using some boneless pork chops and some frozen stir-fry vegetables and a recipe I had for Schezuan (sp?) chicken.  I adapted it some, because it called for you to coat the chicken in a mixture of egg white and cornstarch and fry it in quite a bit of oil.  I did not do that.  I just sliced the pork into thin strips and sautéed it in a little oil.  Then I took the meat out and sautéed the vegetables, then added the meat back and added the sauce from the recipe.  I had made some rice in my rice cooker the other day, so I had the stir-fry over about a half a cup of rice.  I would have preferred to use brown rice, but white was all I had and I was testing out my rice cooker for the first time the other day (easy!).  I need to buy some brown rice.  Anyway, it was very good, although I will adapt the recipe a little next time (I thought it had a little too much ginger and it was pretty spicy, so I may or may not alter the amount of crushed red pepper).

I ate half of the mixture I made (there were two pork chops) and had an apple after that, and that was all I had last night.  I cannot imagine it had more than 16 points, although I will have to calculate the recipe to find out.  I felt fine about how I ate for the day.

This morning I was leaving my apartment and realized I had not fixed myself any breakfast.  I have been fixing it and eating before I leave every day, and it didn’t occur to me to do that this morning, for some reason.  I stopped at Potbelly and got a Ham, Mushroom, Egg and Swiss Cheese on wheat square (that is the smaller portion of bread), for 10 points.  I had a banana left at work, and had that with it (still 10 points).  I get 38 points a day.  For lunch I will either have some more of the chili I made yesterday or the other half of the stir-fry I made, and I will have the other one of those choices for dinner.

I took Cassie for the same length walk last evening that I did yesterday morning, so got a good bit of walking in (for me).  I took him just around the block this morning, but will walk him at lunch and after work, if I don’t have to work too late.  I am going to try climbing the stairs, at least part of the way up, on at least one of the times I return home.  If that goes okay, I will try to do that more than one time a day until I work up to at least going up the stairs all the time.  Going downstairs really hurts my knees, so I am not going to do that at this point.  I don’t mind being sore in the usual sense, but I do not want to set off flare-ups with my back.

Okay, I have now tracked the recipe for the stir-fry and the rice last night (to the best of my memory, and I am quite sure it is near accurate, especially for the ingredients that have points), and it came out to 12 for the stir-fry and 3 for the rice.  So I was 1 point under my limit last night.

One of the things I am really liking about living alone is that the housekeeping for one is so much easier than the housekeeping for four or five.  Even though I was living with adults, I seem to find it much easier to just pick up after myself (and my dog) than when everyone else was living there.

One thing I do not like about living downtown:  I can walk the 1-1/2 blocks to work, and sometimes up to 5 people will ask me for money.  I hate that!  When I walk Cassie, I purposely do not carry any money so I can honestly say I do not have any.  I would say there ought to be a law against that, but there is a law against it and it still happens all the time.  There are these certain “type” that have newspapers about the homeless they try to sell you “for a donation”.  They are on almost every corner downtown.  I cannot afford to give everyone money and many of them I question what the money will be used for.  Very seldom do I give anybody anything, but every once in a while, someone will catch me at a weak moment.  I am all for helping the poor, but I would prefer to do it in a different way, where I am sure the money is being used to help with their needs and not to buy liquor at the liquor store.  I truly hate this and wish they could enforce it.

It occurs to me that I am overdue for pictures of me.  I will have to have help with those too, so if I think of it at the right time, I will get my daughters to help with that and post some.  I have lost about 20 pounds since the last ones I posted, so I am wondering if you can see the difference.

I feel like I am getting in a good groove, finally.  I didn’t give up!

4 comments:

  1. When I was visiting my best friend in Santa Cruz over the summer, every time we walked downtown we were hit up for money - it was ridiculous. She walks with a "don't eff with me" attitude, which seems to help, but I didn't have that. Still didn't give them any money - not going to fund any drug or alcohol habits, thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that's my problem -- I look too sweet. Maybe I should be walking a Pit Bull or something and they would leave me alone!

      Delete
  2. I run through my downtown area and once when I was tearing right down our main street this homeless guy saw me coming and ran over to the edge of the road to ask me for money. I was surprised but kept on running and then cracked up when I heard one of the other homeless people say, "Are you crazy? Runners don't carry money!"

    The "regulars" recognize me and I told my husband I think if someone tried to bother me, they would help me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tell you, I get at least four or five every day. It gets really old. I need to work on my mean look.

      Delete

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl