Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Never Again a "Poor Thing"

I was a reading a newsletter from Dr. Hyman, the doctor who wrote the book, Blood Sugar Solution.

He says to be healthy, you have to plan, plan, plan.  Plan what you are going to eat and what you need to have available.  Plan by scheduling time for exercise.  Plan by setting your schedule so that you get enough sleep.  Etc., etc., etc.  A few months ago, when I first started thinking about moving to downtown Dallas, I typed up a “schedule” I could use to manage my time.  I had several things in mind when I created it.  One was that I will be living alone with my dog and I need to make sure I make time to be home to care for him, walk him, and take him out to potty, etc.  He will have no back yard to go to, so I will have to make it a point to get him outside.  I also wanted to make sure I set aside time in my schedule to exercise, have a prayer time, read my Bible, and read edifying books, whether it be spiritual, self-help, health or whatever.  I also wanted to plan time with friends.  This is something I am terrible about – I am too content to just stay home with family, and since I will have no family at home to spend time with, it is important that I start getting out and making friends.  So I went back and looked over this schedule, and it is pretty good.  It makes time for all the things I need to do, including getting enough sleep.  Of course, if I have to work until all hours of the night, that will throw some things off.  But when I move, I will be able to come in late on mornings after I have worked a really late night, so even that will work better.

I have always been a big planner, but sometimes not very good about following through on some things.  I will have no kids to pull me in a different direction, and I am so much better about this than I used to be.  I always felt kind of neurotic about my list making (my ex-husband used to mock me for it).  But I always had good intentions, and I think I can use it and get my life on a very good track if I will get myself into good habits early.  I even have time planned for watching television.  With DVR, I can do that.  I watch my favorite things at times when it is okay for me to do that.  And if I am doing all these other things, I don’t have to feel bad about spending some time watching television at those planned times.  One time I like to watch is when I am riding my recumbent bike.  So I can make those two things work together.

I plan to take the more “citified” approach to shopping after I move.  No more buying huge loads of groceries twice a month.  I would like to buy fresh foods every few days.  The Farmers Market is downtown, plus a good butcher and I saw a fish shop too.  I hope this will cut down on spoilage of fresh foods, and will also help me get the freshest, healthiest foods.

So, last night I left work and made three stops before getting to the hospital.  I stopped at the grocery store and got a few healthy things to use to make breakfasts and lunches, fresh fruit, etc.  I have a refrigerator at the hotel, so it is easier to do that.  The second stop was at Pinkberry (frozen yogurt) – Stephanie’s request.  But I checked on WW, and a one-half cup serving of the original Pinkberry (which is fat free, by the way), has only 3 points.  So I got what she wanted and I got me a small serving with fresh fruit.  (I guess that is not entirely in line with Blood Sugar Solution, but it is only every once in a while, right?)  Then I stopped at Panera and got me a Thai Chopped Chicken Salad.  It came with a baguette and they included some butter.  I didn’t eat the bread or the butter.  The salad was good, but I wasn’t really crazy about the dressing.  Next time I will try their Asian Sesame Chicken Salad (something like that).  Anyway, the Pinkberry required my using 3 weekly points, but I was okay with that because I planned for it earlier in the day.  In other words, it was not a compulsive thing, it was a planned thing.  After I ate the salad and the frozen yogurt, I was still a little hungry, so I ate a 100-calorie pack of almonds.  This used another 3 points.  Still okay with that.  Healthy choices.  I had no bread at all yesterday.  The only thing of that nature I had was some oatmeal for breakfast.  So, I felt like I had a good day.

For today, I bought some more Greek yogurt, and had my usual breakfast with some sliced banana.  For lunch, I bought a salad from Tom Thumb that you assemble – grilled chicken with some walnuts and apple, etc.  I wasn’t sure if I would use the dressing provided with it, or use the dressing I have here.  It depended on how the points added up.  The salad did not look very big, so I got some extra mixed greens to bulk it up a little.  The points came up to 14 if I used the dressing.  However, I thought it lacked something without it (it was sweet onion dressing) and with the Balsamic vinaigrette I have here.  So I ended up putting a little less than half of the dressing on it, for a total of 12 points.  I also bought some Chicken Tortilla soup from Tom Thumb (the kind freshly made).  It came out to 2 points for a 1-cup serving – I was good with that, and it was really tasty. That and fresh fruit was it.  That will do me until dinner, and I will pick up something for that.  Probably another salad somewhere.

I found a recipe for sweet onion dressing.  I would prefer to use all fresh ingredients.  It has 2 points for a 1 oz. serving.  Still a lot of points, because I would probably use at least 2 oz. for a good-sized salad.  But at least I recognize all the ingredients in it.  Maybe I can experiment with the amount of oil and lighten it up a bit when I make it.

My boss had authorized 3 days at the hotel.  I know Stephanie will not be going home today, and maybe not tomorrow, so tomorrow I would have to go back to sleeping at the hospital.  I don’t have the extra money for a hotel right now.  But my boss authorized with the hotel personnel from tomorrow “until checkout.”  How could I ask for a better boss?  He asks a lot of me, but he gives so much, as well.  And people wonder why I am so loyal to him.  He told my friend, Ruth, that sleeping on that chair in the hospital was the absolute worst thing for my back and he didn’t want me to have to do that.  He is right.  I was hurting a lot from that.  Still hurting some (I miss my tempurapedic), but so much better than sleeping in the chair or the fold-out thing they call a bed at the hospital.  And I have a place to unwind and relax before going to bed and when I get up in the morning.  He did not just get me a hotel, he got me a suite.  I have a little kitchen and living area, plus the bed and bathroom (great for those parties I am throwing while there. ;)  I’m such a party girl).  I think this is the first time I have stayed in a hotel room by myself.  Kind of nice.  It’s not the Adolphus Hotel, but it is nice for my situation.

Certain expenses always go up when someone is in the hospital.  Like food – I have to eat out more.  That, coupled with being about to move, was taxing my budget a bit.  But I got my paycheck today, and I didn’t realize there would be 3 weeks of OT on it instead of 2.  That helped a lot!  The Lord takes care of me, even when I don’t ask.  I was not stressing about it, but I had already resigned myself to being behind when I got moved, and I didn’t like that.

I have a new “cubie” who sits by me at work.  Love her.  She is the sweetest thing.  However, when I talk about what is going on in my life – most times, because she asks – I really don’t want, “I’m sorry, you poor thing.”  I don’t want sympathy.  Just understanding.  And I don’t think she means it that way.  Yes, I have had some rough roads lately.  But I am not a “poor thing.”  The rough things make me stronger.  Don’t get me wrong; I appreciate her and I am thankful she is a caring person.  I would just prefer it to be less of looking at me as a victim, than recognizing I am a strong woman going through a tough time.  It happens to all of us.  And I quit being a “poor thing” quite a while back.  No room for self-pity in this world I live in.

Yesterday, I resolved to “just do it” and drink my water.  So I went to the kitchen at work three times and drank down 2 12-oz. cups of water each time (we have a purified water dispenser at work).  That, with what I had drank otherwise, got me where I needed to go.  Doing it again today.  I am off my routine since I am not at home, so have to make sure I get it done in other ways.

I had intended to take some update pictures last weekend, but got sidetracked with all that happened.  I will try to do that this weekend.  I am curious if you can tell a difference.  My clothes are definitely looser.  I usually weigh every day, but I haven’t been able to this week, so it may be a total surprise on Saturday when I finally weigh in.  I have followed my plan, that’s all I can say.  I haven’t gotten workouts in – too hard with all the going back and forth, and I have been really sore after sleeping in the hospital chair for a couple of nights.  My knees are still bothering me a lot.  But I will get back to walking when I get home.  I have done more walking in some ways, because you have to, to get around the hospital campus, and I have been walking across to the hotel instead of moving my car (it might be just as much walking to do it that way).  I have to get the guy scheduled to come fix my bike.  That kind of got pushed aside this week too.  I need it!  Of course, when I get home, we will begin moving preparations in earnest.  I will finish up as much packing as possible and we still need to have a garage sale sometime.  I need to get a couple of things on Craig’s List to hopefully sell outside of a garage sale.  I think I can get more for them that way.

Okay, that's enough for one day.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl