Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

More Reading - Blood Sugar Solution

I am extremely sleepy this morning.  I am really having trouble staying awake.  I hate this!  I’ll be so glad when I don’t need medication anymore!!!!

I walked again this morning.  I did a double figure 8 through our neighborhood (zig-zagging around and through four blocks).  That is the most I have walked at one time in a long time.  I would guess it is 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 miles.  I used to do two figure 8’s every morning when I could not get to the gym.  I could do it in 45 minutes.  It is taking me 30 minutes for one right now.  But I’ll take it.  Pain was not too bad.  Toward the end I was not picking up my feet very well, and I have to be careful when I am like that because the likelihood of falling is much greater, but I made it.  Tomorrow I will try it with Cassie along.  I wanted to make sure of the environment at that time of day before I brought him.  If there were other dogs around, he would get stirred up a little and then they might get stirred up and I didn’t want to have to mess with that first thing in the morning.  But I didn’t hear a dog bark, even.  Most are still inside for the night, I guess.

I was thinking about swimming this morning.  When I move to the loft, I will have a pool available to me.  I think I will get up and swim some mornings until it gets too cold to do that.  I don’t know if I will do a traditional free-style swimming stroke or what.  I don’t have as much range of motion in my neck after my double fusion and this sounds a little difficult, but I really think it is a mind thing more than anything.  It would probably actually be very good for my neck and help increase my range of motion.  But even if I have to side stroke, I can still get some good exercise that way.  Early in the morning I might be the only one out, which would be fine with me since I am not too anxious to parade around in a swimsuit in front of anyone.  But I can wear a cover-up and take it off right before slipping into the water if anyone is there.  My body is not as bad as some women who weigh as much as I do.  I have always been fairly toned (all things considered), even while being pretty big.  (My thighs don’t hang down over my knees or anything like that, lol!)

After breakfast and lunch yesterday, I still had 26 points left.  I didn’t do that on purpose, but I am not going to do that again.  I did eat 5 points by having some peanut butter spread on some toast before I left work.  But that still left me with 21 points at 8:00 in the evening.  I made my gourmet grilled cheese, which used 14, a salad with some low fat dressing, and a yogurt bar.  That left me with 5 points to go and I just left it at that.  I didn’t feel like I needed to be eating that much that late at night.  I was hungry when I got up and ate a yogurt bar before going out for my walk.  Then I had my usual Greek yogurt with Kashi GoLean Crunch and some sliced banana.  For lunch I am going to make a pizza with a Flat Out wrap, some marinara sauce, sautéed onions and green peppers and some mozzarella.  I should have brought some grilled chicken to put on it too, but didn’t think about it.  I hope that fills me up, because all I brought besides that was some watermelon.  I could go downstairs and get a side salad at Chick-Fil-A if I need to.  Their side salads are pretty decent for fast food.  If I get home on time, I am planning on making Tyler Florence’s Ultimate Chicken Noodle Soup.  It is made with sausage meatballs (made from chicken apple sausage) and fresh tortellini from the refrigerator case.  More points than a regular bowl of Chicken Noodle Soup, but I bet it will be filling and I am sure it will be delicious.  I may add a little more carrots and celery than it calls for to bulk up the vegetables.  I am using less meatballs and tortellini than it calls for.  I will have to go to plan B if I work too late.  I am guessing I will have to work until 7:00, which might be later than I want to get started on that recipe.  I could always have a big salad with grilled chicken, avocado, nuts and strawberries.

The more I read of Blood Sugar Solution, the more I think I need to at least go through the 6-week plan.  I am still learning, but I have a suspicion that many of my health issues are all wrapped up in this.  Sometimes I even think I should just skip my annual physical until I do this (provided I do it soon).  A lot of things that might show up on the tests might be drastically different after going through this 6-week plan.

Things I am hoping it might help:

1.     Chronic pain.
2.     Chronic headaches.
3.     Chronic fatigue.
4.     High Blood Pressure.
5.     Weight Loss.

That’s just a start.  There may be things lurking just under the surface that I don’t even know about (like heart disease, etc.).  I am not going to attempt this before my move, but I am going to eat as clean as possible between now and then and cut down on things like flour products (and when I do have flour products, they must be whole grain).  I will probably continue with the dairy for now until I start the plan.  Dairy and gluten are things you add back after you finish the 6 weeks to see how you react to them.

I also wonder if a lot of Stephanie’s issues (she believes either her pancreas is hurting or her liver) might be helped with this.  I am going to tell her what I am learning and gently encourage her to at least put some of the principals into practice.  She has to get off sodas and she is really struggling with that.  But if her blood sugar and pancreas are involved, she absolutely has to stop drinking sodas.

There are also supplements mentioned (which he goes into more detail about later in the book) which might be helpful to both of us.  But I strongly feel that insulin resistance and “diabesity” (as he calls it) are at the root of a lot of our problems.  And her problems seem to be on the fast track.  I pray she begins to take action now.

The menus he lists do not sound bad.  They are high protein, fruits and vegetables and complex carbs.  You can have healthy oils.  The main thing is restricting flour products and dairy.  And then he adds those back (as long as the flour products or gluten is whole grain).

It occurs to me as I read back through what I have written (I tend to write throughout the day) that a lot of what I have said I have eaten or am planning to eat are exactly what I should NOT be eating.  Last night was a grilled cheese sandwich – dairy and flour products.  Today for breakfast was yogurt – dairy, and today for lunch was a wrap made into a pizza – dairy and flour products.  And the soup I was going to make has a lot of dairy and flour products (there is cheese in the meatballs and the “noodles” in the soup are cheese-stuffed tortellini – dairy and flour products (although the tortellini I bought is whole what, at least).  But everything is too processed.  Next time I buy groceries, I have to buy with these things in mind.  But, like I said, I am not going to really start the program until after I move.  Too much to think about at one time.

The very idea of not having a headache virtually ALL THE TIME sounds heavenly.  This may be what has been causing my problems for years and years.

This is getting long so I will close.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for sharing Easy and useful information about control blood sugar, weight loss and another health services.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl