Search This Blog

Thursday, August 23, 2012

A Little Better Today

As I posted last evening, I am feeling much better.  The issue with Stephanie’s job, and my being the one who had to communicate with her employer every day, was creating a lot of stress for me.

It all went back to a time when Stephanie was a bit younger and she was working as a nanny for a doctor.  Stephanie kept the doctor’s little girl every day, and during the course of her employment became pretty sick.  It turned out she had both a CVR virus and mononucleosis at the same time and she had to be off work for a month.  The kicker is, she contracted the germs from the child’s urine (she changed diapers every day).  She was pretty sick and I communicated to the doctor one day (because she seemed to believe Stephanie was just exaggerating her condition; I actually sent her the lab reports, etc.) what had been determined, and the doctor told me that Stephanie no longer had a job because she needed someone there to keep her child.  So I had to break the news to Stephanie that she had lost her job because she was sick.  This doctor was a real piece of work and, really, it was not a bad thing that Stephanie no longer had to work for her.  But it was a low blow and Stephanie took it pretty hard at the time.  I didn’t want to have the same thing happen again.  And this time the stakes are much higher, since the girls are about to move out on their own and have already signed a lease.

So, hopefully, that drama is over with and Stephanie will not have to rush her recovery so much for fear of losing her job.

The scale was down a bit this morning – a little lower than my lowest so far.  I have now lost 30 pounds.  I was a little sporadic with my eating yesterday, but think I ate in a such way that would cause me to lose weight (I haven’t tracked it yet).  I woke up hungry this morning.  I had a serving of grapes while I was getting ready (if I was going to eat earlier than I normally do, I wanted it to be with “free” food).  Then for breakfast I had 3 scrambled eggs with an ounce of turkey sausage mixed in, and a banana.  I also had a SF Red Bull.  I was really tired this morning.  After I get moved and settled in, I am going to have to kick this habit again.  I know they are not good for me.

My stress was down this morning, but my pain was up.  I am not sure why, other than I was on my feet quite a bit last night, moving things around in the garage to prepare for the garage sale.  But I did some good sweating, which probably helped the weight loss this morning.  I moved one thing that was a little heavy, but nothing heavier than what I have done before.  I did not feel like I strained my back or anything.  But I was having a lot of pain from the waist down this morning and, in fact, took a little extra (one-half) pain medicine to help me get around.  I don’t feel too bad about that, since I usually take less than what is prescribed for me.  As I walk around, I realize I am having this shooting pain into my right ankle.  That is new, but I am sure it is connected to the “new” right knee pain I was having a week or so ago.  It’s a nerve thing and I am pretty sure it is from the spondylolisthesis.

I guess I can appreciate these pains for one reason.  They remind me to stay focused when I might otherwise get distracted from what I am trying to do, with everything that has been going on lately.  When you have pain with every step, it reminds you to stay the course so you can hopefully feel better as you continue to do what you are supposed to do.  I never thought I would be thankful for pain, but this really is true.  In times past, I might have decided there is just too much to deal with right now and I will try again later.  Can’t do that.  I am not willing to continue to live with this pain any longer than I have to, if there is something I can do about it.

For lunch today I had some of the chicken soup I made the other day (it has gotten even better than when I first made it).  I was going to have some salad with it, if I felt like I needed it to satisfy my hunger.  As I said yesterday, I am not craving salads right now, I am craving comfort foods.  But I need to make sure I am taking care of my hunger.  The soup has vegetables in it (I added more carrots and celery, plus added some zucchini this time), but I really need more vegetables than it has.  However, I didn’t want any salad.  I was kind of hungry this afternoon and snacked on a controlled amount of almonds and some Light Babybel cheese.

I am getting close to tying up all the loose ends that go with moving.  In other words, having utilities scheduled to be cut off at one place and turned on at the other, cable, etc.

Getting my recumbent bike fixed has kind of gotten lost in the shuffle of everything else that has been going on.  The service guy was supposed to come by on the Saturday morning that Stephanie went into the hospital.  He was the one that actually cancelled, not me.  But I was not able to get back to him to reschedule until this week, and Saturday was the first day we could make it worth.  Unfortunately, he may have to order a part, and then it will take another 2-3 weeks to actually get it fixed.  By that time, I will be moved.  At least beginning next week, I can work out in the fitness center at my lofts, or in the pool.  And I doubt I will be getting workouts in anyway, since I am having to use as much free time as possible to get packed and get things done for moving.  And that is quite a bit of activity in itself.

As the day wore on, I am finding that I am even more tired than when I was at maximum stress the last couple of days.  I guess stress includes a certain amount of adrenaline, and when that is reduced, you kind of crash.  I wish I had time to really rest.  I do think that once we are moved – not settled, but just out of the house and into the loft – I will take it as slowly as I need to, to get caught up on rest.  There is no reason I have to unpack everything the first couple of days.  I can rest as much as I need to, and put things away and get pictures hung, etc. as I feel up to it.  I don’t know at this point if I will even try to personalize the place with painting.  I probably will at some point, but there is no hurry.  I am allowed to do that, as long as it is painted back before I move out.  I don’t plan to move again for a long, long time.  Hopefully the only thing that will precipitate a move is for me to get married.  Even then, I would love to just stay there, so close to work.  I have been at my job 19 years now, so I suspect I will just stay there until I retire.

This was view driving in to work this morning.  Only a few more days of this, and I won’t have to make the drive anymore.  My building is the one with the needle looking thing on top.  I will live about a block from there.

I apologize, but I am behind on reading everyone’s blogs.  I will catch up as soon as I can.  Thank goodness tomorrow is Friday (in one way, but in another way, I have a lot to get done between now and the weekend).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl