Search This Blog

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Recap, Weekend Plans and Weigh-In


I worked on a post the last couple of days, and just never found the time to get it finished up.  So I will combine it into this post.

I am so tired of being tired!  I sit at work and can hardly keep my eyes open sometimes.  I have tried to go to bed early on weeknights.  I went to bed at 9:30 Wednesday night, but woke up with pain and had a little difficulty going back to sleep because of that.  My neck and shoulders are really bothering me.  Thursday night was better.  Of course, this morning I could sleep as long as I wanted to.  I have not had to work as much this week, thank the Lord!

I had a double cervical fusion a year ago.  Before that, the nerve in my neck was so clamped off that I had pain shooting down my arm all the time.  The surgery made me feel amazingly better.  However, I have to be careful of what position I sleep in.  I almost always sleep with my cervical collar on to protect my neck and make sure I don’t unconsciously move into some position that will make it sore.  That, coupled with my lower back issues, really limit what positions I can sleep in.  The best position is on my back with enough pillows where I am halfway sitting up.  However, I have to be careful not to rest on my elbows because that tends to trigger pain in my neck and shoulders.  I wish I could buy one of those adjustable beds where the head can be raised and lowered like a hospital bed.  But I cannot afford one at this point.  I hope this is just a passing soreness and not something else brewing.  When it is enough to keep me from sleeping, it becomes more significant.  I really have to watch how I am sleeping.  I found a “bed wedge” for a reasonable price (a foam wedge that elevates your head and shoulders).  Think I am going to try that.  The dog woke me up at 6:30 this morning, after a bit I moved to my recliner and I felt so sore, it was hard to go back to sleep.  I finally did and felt better after some more sleep.

I was thinking maybe I should go to the doctor and see if there is something else making me feel so tired.  But I decided now is not a good time to judge that.  I have had a lot of reason in the last two or three weeks to be tired and sleepy.  I may just not be caught up yet.  Any suggestions on what to do?  I took my vitamins the last two days (which I am not very good about doing and haven’t in quite a while).  I am trying to get a decent amount of sleep.  I am exercising, which I know will help in the long-run.  I am eating healthy foods.  I am working on drinking more water.  I am not sure what else I can do.

I did a 30-minute “hills” workout on the recumbent bike Thursday.  This one has really gotten kind of easy for me.  I need to step it up a notch or do a different one.  Friday, I did 30 minutes at a resistance of 5 and did the arm work with 8 pounds of weights instead of 5.  It was a good workout.  I haven’t done a workout yet today.  I may, but I want to spend a lot of today working on packing, sorting, getting ready for my move.  It is creeping up on us and I have to make the most of every weekend.  I also brought home a work project, at my boss' request (for some extra money).

I have started making my list of things I need to do for my move coming up at the end of August.  I am trying to go through drawers and closets and weed out things I want to get rid of, either by throwing away or putting in a garage sale.  My daughters and I are going to have a garage sale in the next few weeks.  I hate having them, but I told my daughters if they would help, they could each keep one-third of the money raised.  I’ve got to get to work in earnest on this or I am going to have too much to do at the end.  Have I mentioned how excited I am about moving to my downtown loft?

Food Thursday was pretty good.  I had my usual Greek yogurt/Kashi GoLean for breakfast, with some grapes.  When I left for work, I had not eaten anything yet and I suddenly got so hungry I was feeling nauseous, so I pulled out some of the grapes I had brought and ate some of them while driving.  For lunch I had my usual sandwich and a fresh salad with Newman’s Own Light Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing.  Grapes for dessert.  For dinner I made another pizza with pesto and fresh tomatoes.  Someone had the chips and salsa out when I got home.  It looked so good and I was so hungry (my pizza was not ready yet), so I ate 9 multigrain Tostitos (that’s a serving, 150 calories) with the salsa (Costco’s salsa is soooo good!).  Then I had the pizza and more grapes for dessert.  So, really, that was not a bad day.  Friday I had my usual breakfast with an apple, a sandwich with a serving of Pop chips and some grapes for lunch, a Yasso Greek yogurt bar mid-afternoon and two tacos (corn tortillas, chicken, fajita vegetables, pico de gallo and a tablespoon of guacamole on each) from Chipotle for dinner.  I also ate two individual pieces of candy this afternoon.  I ate a few Pop chips (less than a serving) when I got home.  I worked until almost 9:00 (but that felt early compared to most Friday nights).  So my eating has been good the last couple of days (minus the candy, but at least it was only a little and in control).  Someone offered me a cookie from Paradise Bakery yesterday (those are so good), but I turned it down without a thought.

My back did not hurt much the last two days, but the radiating pain down the backs of both legs has been pretty bad.  It makes my knees feel so stiff and painful, walking around is slow and careful.  I have to be careful when I am like this, because I don’t pick up my feet as well and I have a greater tendency to trip.  I almost did that twice yesterday.  I took some ibuprofen (for its anti-inflammatory effects) and that seemed to help some.  I try not to do that too much, since I am nursing what I am pretty sure is an ulcer with some Prilosec OTC (it seems to be getting better).

That gets us to today.  I have not eaten yet today, since I slept really late.  I also have not done a workout, but it is weigh-in day.  I usually do a workout before weigh-in (it makes a substantial difference on how much a weigh – about a pound).  But I decided I am not going to pressure myself to do all those workouts on weekends for now, so this morning’s weigh-in is without working out.  All week (I weigh every day), my weight has been up above where it was last Saturday and I really thought I was going to show a gain today.  My result – 274.4 – a loss of .8.  I’ll take it.  I knew I had done what I needed to do to lose weight, so I am glad it showed at least a little on the scale.

One thing that is effecting my weight (how shall I put this delicately?) is, because of menopause and pain meds, my system has not been running very smoothly.  It got pretty bad, but I think I have developed a regimen (all pretty natural) that is helping and keeping things more like it should be. 

This weekend I am doing a splurge meal.  I am not sure what that is going to be, but we will see.  If I can pin my son down, I might take the whole family out to dinner.  I try to do that once a month, but it is hard to sync our schedules with my son's.  I am going to make some kind of dessert, I think.  I have been craving Key Lime Tarts.  I’m not sure if that is what I am going to make or not.  I want to focus my efforts on packing, cleaning, organizing, sorting, etc.  I also have a trip to the Container Store on the agenda to help with the sorting and organizing.  I wish I could buy all I want to, to make things when I move as organized as I would like (organization is NOT my strong point), but I will have to buy things little by little.  I have to maximize storage space in the loft, so that is what I will focus on to start with.  Fun, fun!

Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl