Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Plugging Along

Tried a new “recipe” last night.  Actually, one I concocted.  I brined some boneless, skinless chicken breasts.  (I took frozen chicken breasts and dropped them into a bowl of warm water with about a quarter cup of kosher salt, quarter cup of sugar and about a teaspoon of cayenne pepper, stirring to dissolve first.  I covered the bowl and left it in the refrigerator all day while I was at work.)  I’ve had this big bottle of raspberry chipotle sauce left over from a special occasion.  Kind of loose jelly, sort of, with a spicy twist.  I basted the brined chicken breasts in the sauce and sautéed them in a non-stick skillet.  After the first side browned, I turned them over, basted the other side, and put the skillet in the oven and cooked them another 15-20 minutes until they were done.  The chicken was so juicy, I had a hard time getting them to caramelize (maybe I should dry them in paper towels first next time), but they were really good!  Very tender and juicy, with the sweet and hot sauce on them.  Definitely not dry chicken!  I got the idea when I saw someone basting meatballs with a mixture of jelly and red pepper.  I needed some other ways to use this sauce, so I decided to try this.  Definitely worth cooking again.  I had that with some wild rice and some mixed vegetables, and watermelon for dessert.  And took leftovers for lunch today.

Incidentally, I bought the raspberry chipotle sauce to make an appetizer.  You take a block of cream cheese (reduced fat, if you like) and just pour some of the raspberry chipotle sauce on it.  Then provide wheat crackers for dipping.  Easy peasy!  And very tasty!

I had a good food day yesterday.  Actually ate a piece of whole grain bread with a little peanut butter on it in the evening because I knew I had not had enough calories for the day.  But I was satisfied all day.

I did not work out this morning.  I don’t know what’s wrong with me, except I was tired and very achy and I had overslept a little, which is what happens when I take something to help me sleep.  I cannot use this excuse because I could use it on any given day.  I’m just so tired of being tired and hurting.  But I have to get my mind into gear.  I will still lose weight if I keep my food on track, but I know how important those workouts are for my overall lifestyle change.

It occurs to me that I may have to work more on pain control.  I may need to take pain meds on a more regular basis to keep things under better control, so I can better do what I need to do to permanently get better, which is lose weight.  I am finding myself struggling more consistently with pain again (with all the added activity lately).  I think for the rest of the week I will try taking my meds when it is time to take them, instead of waiting until I am hurting so much that it takes a long time for them to work.  If I can do that for a couple of weeks and really focus on getting some more pounds off, I am okay with it.  I don’t want to be dependent on meds, but right now, that is where I am.  As long as I am progressing, I can feel okay about that.  (Please understand I do not mean taking more meds than I am supposed to.  I mean taking them at the prescribed times instead of waiting until I am in a lot more pain to take them.)  I go to the doctor next Monday and I will talk to her about this and make sure we are on the same page.

I just read an article about a woman who lost 170 pounds.  For her, giving up dairy products was a big key.  Her weight really started dropping after that.  The article talked about how many people have allergies to dairy products and how this can cause cravings, as well as have a lot of negative consequences in the body, such as inflammation, packing on belly fat, insulin resistance, etc.  When I think about giving up dairy, I just don’t want to do it.  I love cheese, for one thing, and my favorite breakfast these days is Greek yogurt.  But if it brought results and made me feel better – I know inflammation is a big thing – wouldn’t it be worth it?  I will have to give it some thought and maybe give it a try for a week and see how I do.  She certainly looks good after losing 170 pounds!

Bottom line, I want to feel better.

I did okay with my food today.  I visited the candy bowl for peppermints a little more than I should have, but I think my calories were still in line with my plan.  I probably should go back to logging everything.  I just got busy and things got in the way.

Time for bed, so I am going to close.  I hope everyone’s week is going well and you are living the life you want to live.

1 comment:

  1. That chicken dish sounds spicy and delicious! My Aunt used to make pepper jelly, and that was one of her signature appetizers - a block of cream cheese, pour pepper jelly over the top and serve with triscuits - so good!

    p.s. and I am a cheese whore too - love it!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl