Search This Blog

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Kind of a Vacation - Not

I know I already posted this morning, but that was really yesterday’s post.  This is today’s post.  :)

My boss was at meetings today and went straight to the airport from there, so essentially, he was already on vacation as far as my duties are concerned.  So, I had time to use as I saw fit.  I am working on organizing my area.  Kind of a vacation with my boss gone.

As I have mentioned, I was not born with the “organization gene”.  I am probably a bit more comfortable with clutter than a lot of people, but when a space is organized, I do enjoy it.  I just have to work at it a little more than some people.  This is a habit and trait I would like to develop.  And it always feels so good when it is done.  My problem is, you can’t just do it once; it is a day-to-day process.  And in the heat of the moment, with the constant interruptions and working right up until sometimes very late, things start to come undone.  Once I move, I plan to come to the office for an hour each weekend (it will be so easy, since it will only be a 5-minute walk), and do some maintenance tasks that I don’t always have the time to do when everyone is at the office.  And I like working in solitude.  Right now, I am trying to analyze how things get like they do and come up with a system that will help keep things a little less cluttered.  Part of it is that my boss will come in and say, here’s this and this and this and this.  Do something with those.  And then immediately call me into his office to do other things and that takes the rest of the day.  I come back to my desk at who knows what time, and there is that stuff, but it’s late and someone is picking me up, and I have to go.

I do not have problems finding things.  But my unorganized area does not inspire confidence in other people and that bothers me.  If I cannot find something that I, in fact, do not have, the person who is asking for it is always a little skeptical, thinking it is probably buried under the clutter on my desk.  So I am determined to overcome this tendency.

Lunch today was at Paradise Bakery.  I got a half California Turkey sandwich on wheat bread and a cup of Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup.  They give you a free cookie with a meal (Paradise cookies are to die for!), but I said no thank you.  They asked if I would like a small portion of pasta salad or fruit salad as a substitute.  I snapped up the fresh fruit.  Yum!  I just looked at the website for nutrition information on the sandwich.  They don’t list it, and based on the ingredients, it was probably not very low calorie.  But I only got a half and I got it on wheat bread.  And it had a lot of fresh veggies on it.  The soup was advertised as low fat, so I am pretty sure it was fine.  They have a book with nutrition information in the restaurant, so next time I will have to look at it to determine the smartest choices there.  I still feel fine about my choices today, since it was very portion controlled, and I resisted the most fattening thing, the cookie.

I was just thinking.  A lot of things have changed with me over the last months.  I grew up in a large family, the youngest of five children.  I think I always grew up afraid I wouldn’t get my fair share.  And every meal was a time to make sure I did that.  I rarely have that old feeling anymore.  Usually when I am overeating, it is stress related or some type of other emotional thing.  It is much easier to portion control than it used to be.  So I don’t feel bad having a sandwich with a little of some higher calorie spread on it, as long as the bulk of it is healthy stuff and the spread is not in excess.  And the portion is controlled.  That is how many naturally thin people eat.  If everything I eat is extremely low fat and boring, I will get off track from boredom.

My groceries are limited right now and my money is short (at least the money I am “allowed” to spend), so I just had to use what I had on hand to make dinner.  I had a BLTA  with some vegetable soup.  I cooked the bacon in the oven on a rack, so the grease dripped off of it.  I put a little olive oil mayonnaise on one side and a little spicy guacamole on the other side, along with lettuce and tomato.  It was delicious.  I did feel a little hungry after that and munched on a little Kashi GoLean Crunch.  That probably was not the greatest idea, since it is pretty calorie concentrated.  But I didn’t let it get too far out of hand.

I am going to go to bed early so I can get up and get my workout done.  Hopefully I will not be so sleepy tomorrow, but I am not holding my breath.  It seems to be a part of life these days.

Good night all.

1 comment:

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl