Search This Blog

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Busy Wednesday/Quiet (Hopefully) Thursday

This was my post for yesterday, which I never got posted.  I spent the last 5 hours of my work day (which ended at 11:45 p.m.) holed up in an office with my boss, and I certainly wasn’t going to get on the computer when I got home!


I got up and did my workout this morning.  Honestly, I wanted to quit.  My legs felt so tired and weak.  But I put mind over feelings and got it done.

I am extremely sleepy today.  I don’t know exactly why, other than it is probably medication related.  I slept pretty well last night and went to bed at a decent hour.  I hate having to sit at the computer all day with my eyes crossing because I feel so sleepy.  I will be so happy to not have to take medication.

I am seriously considering the no dairy idea, just to see if it makes a difference.  I just wonder how long I need to do it to determine if it is helping me.  I am thinking, if I decide to do it, I will commit to doing it for two weeks to see how I do, and then possibly another two to make sure how my weight responds.  Here is a quote from the article I was reading:

The Blood Sugar Solution, who believes that cutting dairy is often key to mega weight loss, “New breeds of dairy cows produce milk with far more allergens than ever before.  And, ironically, our immune response makes us crave foods we’re allergic to.”  Cravings are only one way a dairy sensitivity can interfere with weight loss, he adds.  “Dairy promotes inflammation, which is linked to fluid retention and increased belly-fat storage.  Studies also show a 300% increase in insulin—a fat storage hormone—after eating dairy.”  Says Molly:  “Cutting out dairy was the most important thing I did for my health and my weight loss.  My hunger changed dramatically, so I was able to get down to about 1,200 calories a day with ease.  And my cravings changed, too.  I started to prefer natural foods to processed ones!”

It says later in the article that the 1,200 calorie number was at the end of her weight loss, when she was trying to get off the last few pounds.  When she was larger, she ate from 1,500-1,800 calories.  It also says she had always had “tummy troubles” when she ate dairy (which I do not), so I don’t know if it would be the same for me.

I ordered the book, The Blood Sugar Solution.  At first I didn’t want to.  I kind of wanted to bury my head in the sand, fearing it would tell me things I did not want to hear.  But I really do want to feel better and I know I have a big issue with insulin resistance and with inflammation.  If I can feel better, why wouldn’t I want to do that?  I will have to make some tough choices, but it would be worth it not to be in constant pain.

My new “cubie” at work asked me to lunch.  She was meeting some other people she used to work with, at El Fenix.  I NEVER get out for lunch.  I rarely leave my desk.  So this was kind of nice.  I was a little worried about what to eat there.  They had a “light” menu with four items on it.  I had a bowl of Chicken Tortilla Soup.  It was delicious, and I got out of a Mexican food restaurant for 442 calories, plus I ate probably 5 tortilla chips.  I feel good about that choice, and I will do that more often at a Mexican food restaurant if I am not having a splurge meal.  I am always remembering the Biggest Loser episode when they were showing the contestants how many calories their favorite restaurant meals had.  The girl from Frisco, Texas had Mexican food, and I want to say her calorie count was like 4,500.  Of course, that is if you eat the whole bowl of tortilla chips yourself and clean your plate, but still.  You can do some major damage at a Mexican food restaurant.  I was well satisfied with the soup.  We will see how it holds me for the afternoon.  (If I did the no dairy products thing, I would have told them “no cheese”.  I don’t think I would have missed it too much in that soup.  It was really good.)  (It held me pretty good!  I didn’t get too hungry.)

Incidentally, my “cubie,” who is tiny, tiny, thinks I “never eat.”  Not something I have ever been accused of (and not true).

I am working late tonight.  It’s the first “late” night (later than 6:30 or 7:00) in a couple of weeks.  It’s okay, I can use the extra moving money.  My boss is going on vacation beginning tomorrow afternoon, so we have to get everything done before he leaves.  Then I will have no staying late for the next week.  Famous last words.  He has been known to call in from out of town and keep me late, but not so much since he got an iPad and can deal with e-mails himself.

I just put in my formal request for days off surrounding my move date.  I will have 3 days before and 3 days after the day I move to get settled.  I move on August 31.  I am so excited!

I gave my doggie a bath this morning.  (Sorry for the blurry picture.)  He looks like a little rat when he is wet.  Poor thing shivered and shivered, but would growl when I tried to towel dry him too much, and won’t have anything to do with a hair dryer!  I couldn't get the clasp on his collar to work, so it got a bath too.  He is so soft and silky today!

For dinner I am having one of Helen’s pesto pizzas.  I brought a salad to go with it, plus some little Clementine (?) oranges.  My salad was tasting a little blah, so I added my oranges to the salad and that did the trick.  I just used the vegetables I had available, which was romaine lettuce, baby spinach, some sliced red pepper and carrots, with Newman’s Own Light Balsamic Dressing.  I have some avocado I could add, but I am thinking the fat in the pesto and the salad dressing is enough. (I ended up not getting to finish the salad because I went in my boss’ office to work for the next few hours.)

I started a new blog today.  I haven’t had much time to read lately, but I had a little today.  Jennifer talks about considering surgery vs. other measures to lose weight.  I too considered surgery.  My friend at work had bypass surgery and lost over 100 pounds.  Honestly, at one point in my life, I would have had the surgery if my insurance would have covered it or if I could have found another means to pay for it.  But it was (and is) excluded on my insurance.  I pursued it with everything I had, but excluded is excluded, no matter what the justification.  Now, I am so glad.  After I finally came to terms with the fact that insurance was not going to cover it, I buckled down and started getting to work on my weight the “old-fashioned” way – changing eating habits and exercising.  And I lost 70 pounds.  The events since that time are detailed in the beginning of my blog, but even with the difficulties I have faced, I have still come very far from the time when I was pursuing surgery.  I am not totally against the surgery.  For some people, maybe that is their only recourse.  But you still have to do other things to make the surgery work and if you can do that without the surgery, I definitely am against having it.  But, although my friend has not lost all of her weight, her diabetes is in remission.


That brings me to today.  I got home at 12:30 last night and did not make it out of bed in time to do a workout.  My food was very good yesterday, so I am glad for that.  I will not have to work late for the next week, anyway.  I will try to make up at least one workout on the weekend.  But I still have so much to do at home to prepare to move.

We are planning to have a garage sale a couple of weekends before the move, so we have to get ready for that.  We have basically had 3 households of stuff in my home for the last few months.  My son is moving out right now (got a new place with a friend; he had been out on his own, but his roommate/best friend was killed in a tragic accident, and it took some time for Jacob to regroup).  When his stuff gets moved out of the garage, that will give us more room to work with to arrange what will be kept and what will be sold in a garage sale.  Right now it is hard to decide what to keep.  I don’t know exactly what I will have room for, but I do know, I have way too much to go in a one-bedroom loft.  My son will take some of the leftover furniture and decorative items.  The rest I will try to sell, and then I will give what is left over to Goodwill.  It would be nice if we could make enough in the garage sale to pay for the moving truck.

The loft I am moving into will be empty after July 31, so I can go in and take measurements and get a better idea of what I need and what I need to get rid of.

My daughters have also been accumulating stuff for their new place.  They will be better set than I ever was until a long time after I was married.  We had everyone else’s giveaways for a long time.  Really, it wasn’t until after my divorce that I got my home near to what I wanted it.  God has really blessed me since my divorce.  I am so thankful He has taken such good care of me.

I am going to close this down.  I am looking forward to a quieter day, with time to work on organizing my area.  Famous last words.  It often does not work out that way, despite my good intentions.

Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl