Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Back on Track


Yesterday was another day of good control on my eating.  For dinner I had the rest of the ravioli I bought the other day (5 raviolis, which I think was a little less than a specified serving, which has 265 calories) with about ½ cup marinara and about 2 tablespoons of grated parmesan.  With that I had some steamed broccoli (with a little more grated parmesan on top) and some cantaloupe.  That was enough and I wasn’t tempted to eat anything else before bedtime.

I forgot that they had a candy bowl at work yesterday.  I had two small pieces of candy (probably less than 100 calories).  That is good for me.  Usually I would be visiting it over and over.
That Healthy After-Workout Glow
I got up and did my workout this morning.  I don’t know if it was because my speed was up from the last few times I have done a workout, or what, but I worked up a better-than-usual sweat and my face got really red.  I didn’t feel tempted to stop, but felt like I was exerting myself more than the last few workouts.  I did 30 minutes on the recumbent bike with a resistance of 5 and did arm work with a 5-pound weight while I was pedaling.  I am guessing this arm work is why my shoulders have been so sore the last few days.  They feel a little better today.  I tried to do a little stretching before I started this morning, so maybe that helped.

During my workout and right after, I felt really empty.  I read a little something about eating after a workout (in the new cookbook that came in the mail yesterday) and that Greek yogurt was good for that, so after my bath, I ate about ¼ cup Greek yogurt with a little honey, just to eat a little something within an hour after my workout.  When I got to work, I ate another ½ cup of Greek yogurt with a little honey, about ½ cup Kashi GoLean Crunch and some sliced strawberries.  I was well satisfied with that.  (If I eat breakfast before I leave for work, it is too long between breakfast and lunch and I get too hungry.)

I am working on my third 34-oz. water for the day.  I haven’t been very good about drinking my water the last couple of weeks, so I am trying to improve.  My feet were really crampy last night before bed and I am sure it was from dehydration.  I also took potassium and magnesium supplements.  I was dragging this morning (sleepy and tired), so I drank a Zipfizz.  I don’t want to have to do that, but being tired is too big of a trigger for me.  I was having trouble staying awake, sitting at my computer.  After lunch I was dragging again and had to drink another one.  I guess I have not caught up yet from all the stress and late hours the past few weeks.  My plan is to go to bed early tonight and get at least 7 hours of sleep.

These headaches are getting old again.  I hope as I get back on track with everything, they will lessen.  I don’t always know what sets them off.  I just know I have way too many of them.  It may be rebound from the pain meds.  But I can’t stop the meds just yet, or I wouldn’t be able to do what I need to do.  I just need to get some more weight off as soon as practically possible so, hopefully, my pain level will be such that I don’t need the meds on a regular basis.  Then I will have to go through the slow process of withdrawal.

I am also having significant back pain the last couple of days.  Usually, when I am having a flare-up, the significant pain is the radiating pain down my legs.  Earlier today and the last couple of days, it was my back that hurt.  I’m not sure what that’s about, although I am guessing it is because of too much inactivity the last couple of weeks.  By the time I left the office, it seemed like my back wasn’t hurting too much but the radiating pain had increased.  In some ways, I would prefer the radiating pain because it only hurts when I get up on my feet.  The back pain hurts even just sitting at my desk.  I am sure all this will improve over the next few days if I will just keep moving (in the right kind of way).

Sorry to be such a complainer.  But it does document my progress (or lack thereof).  Pain is the biggest motivating factor for me to lose weight.  It used to be all about how I look and the “criticism” from my former husband (that’s a mild way of putting it) and others.  Looking better will be awesome, but right now, I just want to feel better and not be in constant pain.  Pain, day after day, wears on you.  I feel sure I can do what I need to do to lose this weight if I can manage the pain issues until I feel better.  I am so much more emotionally healthy than I was all the years I was married.  The emotional issues I struggled with then played a big part in my not being able to follow through with my goals.  It is hard to take care of yourself when you are full of self-hatred.  I seem much more able, these days, to make a goal and then to do what I need to do to make that goal a reality than I used to be.  Obviously, there are still things that derail me, but not nearly as many as there used to be!  And even when I am derailed for a time, I am able to pull it together after a bit.  I won’t give up until I am where I want to be!

For lunch today I had one of my sandwiches I make (kind of like what I would get at Subway, but less calories from bread, and I added sliced avocado and a little bit of Newman’s Own Light Balsamic dressing).  We didn’t have any chips and I decided to get me some vegetable soup and go for less carbs and more nutrition (only 70 calories).  And more satisfying.  I had cantaloupe for “dessert”.  Lunch was delicious and satisfying.  I certainly don’t feel like I am dieting.  (I’m not – this is a lifestyle.)

My boss told me early he had to leave at 5:30, so no working late tonight!  Yay!  I left at 6:00 and Steph and I stopped by Costco on the way home.  She had gotten her insurance money and wanted to pick up some things the girls need to set up housekeeping when they move out on their own next month.  I went ahead and bought groceries I would have bought this weekend after getting paid Friday.  My refrigerator is stuffed full.  I don’t like it that full, but I don’t like to make multiple trips either.  I end up spending even more money.

We got home at about 8:00 and I was pretty hungry.  I was hungry enough that it was dangerous – more susceptible to just grabbing whatever was handy because I was too tired to fix myself something.  We had some Lean Cuisine dinners in the freezer and I had one of those – a “Philly Cheesesteak” Panini.  I had a few pop chips with it (less than a full serving) and some grapes.  The sandwich was pretty tasteless, but I was too tired to doctor it up and make it more interesting.  So, provided I don’t eat anything else and mess it up, I have had another good day of controlled eating.

Stephanie made it through her first day back at work.  She seems to be feeling some better, but certain things she eats make her feel bad.  So she is going to stick to mostly clear liquids until the weekend and then test the waters.  That way she can make it through the rest of the work week.  It's great just to have a feeling of normalcy again.

Okay, I am starting to fall asleep at my computer (again!), so I will say good night.  I hope everyone is having a great week.

1 comment:

  1. Chronic pain is terrible all the way around. I hope you find some resolve for that.

    Good job controlling your thoughts and eating properly!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl