Search This Blog

Monday, July 23, 2012

A Pleasant Surprise

I thought it was time I should update.  I’ve struggled the last few days, but I actually gave myself permission to relax a bit.  I felt so emotionally and physically drained, I didn’t feel like too much restriction was what I needed.

My eating wasn’t horrible, most of the time, and although I did not formally work out, I probably was more active than I have been in quite a while.  I have been busy sorting, packing and cleaning.  A representative from the property management company was supposed to come over Saturday to look the house over before beginning to show it to prospective renters.  I am not the best housekeeper anyway, and the last few weeks left me with no time for housework, and I didn’t feel good about people coming over.  This weekend, once I would get started cleaning, etc., I had a hard time making myself stop.  I wish I was born with the organization genes, but since I was not, I will have to satisfy myself with developing better habits, and that is what I want to do from here on out.  Maintenance is my new mantra.  If you maintain, you don’t have to do all this catch-up.

The lady from the property management company ended up not coming, and I didn’t get the message until 30 minutes after she was supposed to be there.  I was so busy cleaning, etc., I didn’t hear my cell phone ringing when she called to tell me she wasn't coming.  It was okay, I was glad for the excuse to get things done.  She is coming later today, while no one is home, so I continued on with the cleaning, etc. yesterday and the house is cleaner than it has been in a long, long time.

My eating yesterday afternoon and evening was the worst.  I don’t know why I would ever want to do that to myself, and it really wasn’t very enjoyable.  I braved the scale this morning.  Honestly, I was trying to brace myself for what was to come and I decided to set my mind that I would weigh 280 this morning, which would have been about a 5-pound gain.  I didn’t know what to expect after several days of unfocused eating, not drinking my water, etc.  My weight:  274.8.  I only gained a little.  This says two things to me.  First, I think I should probably be eating a few more calories than I have been allowing myself on a “good” day.  But I had to remind myself, although it felt like I had lost 5 pounds because of what I was expecting, I didn’t really.  I actually gained a little weight.  However, compared to what I was weighing late last week, this was a loss.  The second thing this said to me was that all the activity of the last few days probably burned a lot of calories.  I was up on my feet more than I have been in months.

Another good thing was, although I struggled with significant pain this weekend, I did not struggle with radiating pain much.  Once I got up and going, that wasn’t a big issue.  So I am hopeful that I can start doing some walking for exercise.  I want to start doing a lot of walking, once I move.  That is how I plan to get around, for the most part, when I move downtown.  So I feel somewhat optimistic that I can do that.  That being said, I still have to say, chronic pain is such a beat-down.  My body felt like I had been run over by a truck a lot of the weekend.  I'm pretty sure that's the fibromyalgia talking.

My goal this week is to lose 4.8 pounds.  I know this is a lot, and if I don’t lose it, I won’t be discouraged.  It is just a goal.  I still want to get that 40 pounds off by the time I move.  I have 5 weeks left, basically.  I hope by staying exactly on track with my eating, since I have been kind of lax the last couple of weeks, will cause me to have a good drop.  Plus drinking all my water, when I haven’t been doing that enough.  We will see.  I think I will try the week at 1600 calories per day, plus a splurge meal this weekend.  We will see how my body does with that.  I still have so much to do to get ready to move there will be plenty of activity.

I did get up and do a workout this morning.  I just did 30 minutes at a moderate resistance (5-6) at 12 mph.  I was really tired from all the activity this weekend, but got through the workout with no problems.  I really struggled last week.

I am going to go ahead and close now.  I need to get to work.

4 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you, and I hope that life starts calming down a bit.

    Btw, I always say that my best cleaning days are when I think someone is coming for a visit, and when I move. Sounds like you are getting a double whammy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true! And since there will be people coming in periodically, I just pack things that I would otherwise have to dust. So much easier!

      Delete
  2. Sometimes severe restriction of food for several days can lead to binges later on so I think you have a good idea of upping your calories a bit. A couple of bad days really can wipe out a whole week's worth of good eating so it's better to try to figure out how to stay steady and stable over the long run.

    I am so good a cleaning for company, but DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT open any closets without my permission!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't have called my calories "severely restricted," but since a couple of times I have eaten a little more than I thought was staying on track, I have lost weight, so it makes me think my body was trying to plateau with too few calories. It seemed to appreciate the extra. So I'm thinking 1500 was too few for me at this weight.

      My closets actually look good (thanks to some recent work)! But my house needed some deep down cleaning that I haven't done in a while. Cleaning baseboards and blinds and prints on doors, etc. Plus scrubbing the kitchen and bathroom floors on my hands and knees (asked for some help with part of that). And dust, dust everywhere! Now if I can just maintain!

      Delete

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl