Search This Blog

Monday, June 11, 2012

Thinking Through Some Food Changes

My Monday started with a good workout.  My alarm went off at 4:45 a.m., I got up at 4:55 a.m., took same meds and tried to wake up, and started my workout just before 5:30 a.m.  I did the beginner “hills” workout.  I still didn’t slow down when it told me to.  To me, it is almost harder to go slow, than to go the pace you naturally want to fall into (which, for me right now, is about 14 mph).  I kept going after the 30” timer counted down until I saw 7 miles on the screen (about 20 extra seconds).  I watched Extreme Makeover:  Weight Loss Edition while I was working out (good motivation).  I noticed they had provided a machine to the girl that looked something like a seated elliptical machine.  It had “poles” for an arm workout.  I thought, hey, that looks like another machine I could probably do.  When I go to my training appointment later this month (if I go), I will see if they have one of those at the gym.  I certainly am not going to go buy one – my recumbent bike takes up enough room.  It would be nice if the lofts I am moving to have one in their fitness room.  I didn’t know there was such a thing, but looked it up online and there it was.

My workouts, these days, are feeling like “real” workouts.  In other words, when I started, I was just doing what I could do given my physical condition.  But I am working hard enough at each workout now that I think they would be a good workout for anyone who is just in average physical condition.  I am alternating between the hill workouts and the ones where I do arm work with weights while pedaling.  I can tell my stamina is increasing.  It feels good!

I ate one-half of a protein bar during my workout this morning.  I started out and was feeling very empty and kind of weak, so I did that.  It did help.  Then I had breakfast when I got to work.  This morning I had 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup Grape Nuts cereal and 2 tsp. honey.  It was good, but to tell you the truth, I still feel kind of hungry too early.  It is 10:45 a.m.  But I can wait for lunch.

Yesterday on my lunch sandwich, I left off the cheese (-40 calories) and added avocado (+70 calories) because I have been reading that adding some good fats will help stave off hunger.  That is what I will do at lunch today.  I want to make some other changes in what I am doing, but will have to buy some groceries to be able to do it.

Stephanie is still not feeling well at all.  She went to work today, because she doesn’t want to jeopardize her job, but she did not feel well enough to.  I just want them to find out what is wrong and fix it.  Sometimes I don’t feel like she is going to be able to be truly independent because of all of these medical issues that keep coming up.  She cannot afford the doctor bills, so I need to help.

So, I am wondering.  In all of 2009 and half of 2010, I worked out A LOT.  I got in pretty good shape (for me).  I remember (a little) how it was when I started.  I was so pitifully out of shape – I couldn’t walk down the hall to the other end of the office without getting out of breath.  I had to start out in the pool, walking.  I did this for a month.  Walking in the pool.  Then I started slowly on the treadmill and started building from there.  I got to where I was doing 60 minutes of intervals from 3.6 to 4.0 at an incline of 7 or 8.  (I found that increasing incline increased calorie burn more than increasing speed, so I focused on that.)  My calorie burn on the treadmill got up to 800 calories for the hour (when programming in my weight).  In the evenings I would walk my trail, which was 3.5 miles.  And during a couple of months, I climbed the stairs in our office building during my lunch hour.  I got to where I could climb 54 flights (not without stopping to rest, but still!).  So I was doing a lot.  I also did some strength training some nights (cardio in the morning, strength training at night).  This time, I feel like I started out in a little better condition than I was then.  Is it possible for you to hold on to a little conditioning that long?

Okay, I am further along in my day and I am planning the rest of my eating.  Because of the bigger breakfast (and the half of a protein bar for my workout), I have less calories left than usual for my dinner.  I think I can make it work, but I would rather have a little more left.  Evening has typically been my most difficult time in times past.  I will be working late tonight, so I think I will be fine.  But I would like to leave a little more room tomorrow.  I would like to do some adjusting for my lunch and dinner.  I have been having the Subway sandwich and the baked chips.  That is a lot of carbs.  I would like to start doing something different than the chips, or else eat a main dish salad.  I could have a side salad with my sandwich, and with a light dressing, would come out with a lot less calories than eating the baked chips (plus a much healthier choice).  The thing is, I am not real good at preparing myself a salad.  I don’t like to do it and so end up letting things go bad.  However, if I buy a side salad every day, that is going to increase the cost of my meals.  (I do not buy my baked chips at Subway; I buy a box of them at Costco and they cost me a lot less that way.)  So, I am going to have to start making me some salad, or eating finger foods like baby carrots, celery sticks, etc.  Actually, the Subway meal is a pretty high calorie meal.  The sandwich is somewhere around 350 calories and the baked chips somewhere around 130-140, usually.  Then I usually eat some fruit.  I could get as much volume in food without that many calories.  This has just been so convenient for me during this season of working so much and not feeling so great.

For now, I think I am going to go back to the protein bar and fruit for breakfast, and I can have some baby carrots or celery sticks or something to help fill me up.  I will be thinking the rest of this week what I want to do and buy groceries accordingly after my paycheck on Friday.  My daughters are trying to eat healthy too, and I could eat what they are eating a lot of the time, but they are eating fish a lot and I just do not like fish.  Especially if it tastes fishy.  I have heard them mention the last two or three meals their fish is tasting fishy.  If I start doing something that I just do not like, I will not stick to it.

My pain is somewhat improved today.  Just a moderate headache.  I am so used to those, I almost ignore them.

It ended up that my boss got on such a roll at the time I would have gone and gotten my dinner sandwich that I didn’t feel like I could leave.  There was a Weight Watcher dinner in the freezer, so I warmed that up.  (I did this all the time during my last stint with weight loss, but that was the only time in my life that my blood sugar went up to near diabetic level.  So I don’t want to do that this time.  I did notice this one had whole grain pasta, but still, too many additives, etc.  I would rather stick to fresh food.)  I need to make contingency plans for when I cannot get out the door to get the sandwich.  Really, though, I could have.  I was rolling along after I heated up the WW dinner and he came and ask if I wanted to go get a sandwich.  But it was already too late.  It is probably a better than 50/50 chance I will have to work late on any given night, so I have to plan for it.  I may stop by the store on the way home and get a few things to round out a salad.

Guess I will close this.  I got my second comment today (finally).  Thanks, Shelley.  Love your blog and will finish it up and keep following you.  I will visit more of the blogs you have mentioned and try to get to know everyone in the weight loss blogging community.  I can really use the support.

Good night all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl