Search This Blog

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Sunday at Home


This post is being written throughout the day on Sunday.

I woke up with more pain than usual today.  I am not sure what is up with that.  I am waiting to see if I can get it under a little better control before I start my workout.

I have been reading a blog (My Journey to Fit) and Shelley is talking about running 5ks and seems to be having so much fun doing that.  I really want to do that someday, but am not sure I will be able to.  Even if my back improves to the point where I am able to do that, I still have the almost bone-on-bone problem with my knee and (so the doctor said) am looking at a probable knee replacement in the next few years.  Can you run 5ks with that kind of a knee issue?  I don’t know.  I don’t know if you can run them after a knee replacement either.  It is possible I will only have to have a partial knee replacement, which looks more desirable.  But I still don’t know that I can be a runner after that.

Maybe I can satisfy this kind of desire for competing on bike events.  We will see.  But this is one reason my interest is being peaked more for bike riding than for running.  Which is harder, bike riding or running?  Does anyone know?

In 2009, I walked 5ks every day, almost (on the treadmill, with an incline of about 7).  On Saturdays, I would walk my trail twice (once in the morning and once in the evening) and each time it was 3.5 miles.  I had started trying to run a little, but did not do it much.  Before I progressed any further, the events that intervened interrupted what I was doing and then the bad problems with my back set in.

I don’t know what I will be able to do, but I have heard it said that it is good to have these kinds of events to train for to keep your fitness on track and your weight loss efforts moving (or maintained).  I may not be able to compete, but that does not mean I cannot be active.  We will see what happens as I progress.  I like reading about it, anyway.  It inspires me.

One thing I do know from reading this blog (and from my daughters), when I get to doing better and my body can handle it, I am going to get a trainer, whether it is in an individual setting or a group setting.

I just finished my morning workout.  I did another “hills” program (beginner) this morning.  The only message it gives me as to staying with the program is “slow down”.  I seem to have settled into a groove of 13-14 mph.  This program wants me to start and end at 10 mph (it is 13 in the middle parts).  Today, I ignored it.  In fact, at the end I was coming up on 7 miles and wanted to see 7 miles on the screen, so I speeded up to 15 (and at times, 16) mph!  That is with a resistance of 3.  So I kind of sprinted to the finish.  It felt great.  I went to the living room to share with my daughters my accomplishment and they just kind of raised their eyebrows and gave me the “That’s nice, Mom” look.

Blogspot shows me that I am getting some reads on my blog, but so far, I have only gotten one comment.  I am wondering why.  I am wondering what I need to do to get my blog out there.  I could use the encouragement.

I cooked my dinner tonight.  We bought these chicken skewer thingies at Costco (they’re pretty darned good), so I had one of those (150 cal.), some sweet potato “fries” (140 cal.) and I cut some zucchini in length-wise slices, sprayed them with PAM, added salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, and grilled them.  It was yummy!  (I would like to learn to make the chicken skewers myself, because these have some additives I would rather not have.)  I had some grapes for dessert.

My pain level has been up today.  I don’t know what’s up with that.  I don’t know if it is from sitting more, or just one of those things.  I did climb a couple of flights of stairs over the last couple of days, but it didn’t hurt too badly when I did it.  Fortunately, even when it hurts to walk, it does not hurt to do a bike workout, so that is what I am about to do.

To finally finish this post – whew!  I just finished my second workout.  I did 30 minutes on the bike at a resistance of 4 and I did arm work as before, but this time, on the last sets, I held 8 lbs. of weights for the shoulder raises and bicep curls, and 5 lbs. for the triceps.  This definitely taxed me a lot more.  In fact, as I type, I am still shaky.  I think that is what I want – to really push myself.  During all this – pedaling at 14 mph while doing the arm work, I was very aware that all of it was taxing my abdominal muscles at the same time.  This was no mamby pamby workout!  30 minutes, 14 mph, for 7 miles, all while doing the arm work.

So, this was the second weekend in a row that I got 4 workouts done over the weekend, which sets me up for a successful week.  I am going to try to get as many workouts as possible this week, with the goal to take Friday off.  Hopefully I can at least get a couple of walks done, but that will depend on my pain situation.  Actually, at this point, the bike workouts are much better than the walks, as far as intensity.

I tried on a couple of things today that I could not wear when I started.  One was a blouse that I had been wearing before the last weight gain (which had gotten kind of big, really) and the other was a sweater I had bought a couple of months ago, but it felt too snug, so I had not worn it yet.  I can wear both of them.  Yay!!!  I love that kind of progress.

By the way, my daughter, Stephanie, is still not feeling well at all.  Prayers appreciated.

Have a great week, everyone.

2 comments:

  1. Whew - I just finished catching up on your blog. You are doing GREAT, Sheryl, and I'm so pleased that anything I've written is helping to propel you along your journey. I admire your dedication to getting your workout done every day...not having excuses is huge in weight-loss success.

    I'm excited for you to move into your new loft - we keep saying that if we ever end up moving, we'd like to try loft living, too.

    Oh, and running is harder than biking, for sure - but both are fun. I hope you do end up with a pink bike! I love mine, but honestly, if I wanted to do more intense road biking, I'd need one with more gears (my cruiser only has 3). It's hard to keep up with my husband when we ride, as his bike has 18 gears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Shelley. I am so excited to get a comment (hehe). I think it will be a while before I will be ready for another bike, and I could use the cruiser when I live downtown. You ARE inspiring me. I am still catching up to the present with your blog. For now, it is back to work. It is another night at the office for me.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl