Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Going Home!

Stephanie is like day and night after her surgery.  She got to eat a little last night (can’t remember if I already shared that).  I don’t know that she would be able to go home today, but I am not ruling it out.  She doesn’t even seem like she had surgery.  She just feels better.

I had a pretty decent day yesterday.  I had the salad from Panera near mid-afternoon, so wasn’t hungry enough for a full meal at dinner.  I ate a yogurt parfait (179 calories) and later some trail mix (290 calories).  I think I came out okay on my total calories.  Still not enough water, but I will work on that more as things are getting back to normal.

Looking at myself in the mirror, it seems like I may have lost a little over the last few days.  But I won’t know until I weigh

I had planned to walk during Steph’s surgery, but since she got in there earlier, by the time I got there, they told me to go to the surgery waiting room and wait.  I was only there 30 minutes or less before the doctor came to report.  It was not too long after I got back to her room that they brought her back.  As I may have said yesterday, she was EXTREMELY grouchy for a while.  She wanted to put her clothes back on and they wouldn’t let her for a while and she did not like that.  Once she got to eat something, though, she was in a much better mood.  I guess I might be grouchy too with no clothes and no food for 7 days.

I am feeling pretty tired today.  I thought about going into the empty office and taking a little nap at lunch, but honestly, I don’t think I am going to be really rested until I am sleeping in my own bed.  I have been sleeping in a recliner (except for last night) and my shoulder and arm have been hurting.  I slept on the “fold-out couch” last night (which are usually pretty rough to sleep on for anyone with a back problem).  It wasn’t too bad, but my arm is still hurting some today.  I have a tempurpedic-type mattress and I know will sleep better when I get back home (and hopefully my shoulder and arm will settle down – that is usually neck related).  My back was kind of stiff this morning, but not too bad.  I am having to be careful right now or I find myself sitting here staring into space.

Just got word – Stephanie is going home today!!!  I am waiting on her call to come get her.  Between you and me, I am not coming back to the office afterward.  It will still be a short while before she calls, then I have to drive to Plano, get her loaded up, we have a couple of stops to make on the way home, and I have to drive all the way to Midlothian (which, with no traffic is about an hour, but I am sure there will be traffic).  To come back downtown after that would not be worth it.  My boss has a dinner meeting tonight, so I should not have to come back to work after hours.  And I really could use a night at home to catch up on things and to rest.  Tomorrow we can get back to normal schedule (whatever normal is).

For lunch today I had the Potbelly Farmhouse Salad, without bacon.  I added one-half of an avocado and used the Newman’s Own Light dressing.  Should be less than 450 calories total (it is 310 without the avocado or dressing), but will have to figure that up.  For breakfast I had Greek yogurt with about a teaspoon of honey, ½ cup Kashi GoLean Crunch, and some fruit from the fruit tray I bought last night.  I did have one variation from healthy eating this morning – I ate some Hot Tamales (cinnamon chewy candies).  That was 170 calories.  But I can make that fit in.  I did not have any bread or anything for lunch, so it was lower calorie than normal.

I don’t know if all the fresh veggies I bought last week are still good.  If they are, when I get home, I will likely continue with the main dish salad theme or a sandwich.  I could make some grilled chicken too.

I don’t think I mentioned last week that I bought a rice cooker.  I have never used one, but have heard they make perfect rice.  I will use it for brown rice, for the most part.  I ordered the cookbook today, Cook This, Not That!:  Kitchen Survival Guide.  I read about it on Helen’s blog (a post back in Feburary 2010).  She recommended a remake of the Chicken Fried Rice recipe from PF Chang that is in this cookbook.  I can’t wait to get the cookbook so I can try it and other recipes.

Since Steph is going home today, I can get back to workouts, etc.  I was thinking I would rather take a walk with my dog than ride my recumbent bike, but looking at the temperature, I don’t know why.  I snapped a picture in my car yesterday when I was driving back to the hospital (click to see a bigger picture).  Yikes!

Guess that is all for now.  I am looking forward to getting home and just being there for an evening.

4 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoy that cookbook. We have really enjoyed many recipes from it. Plus the directions are clear and the recipes are so easy to follow.

    I totally get it about just being able to be home. Usually I run around like a mad person all week but since I received my stripe in Muay Thai on Monday I don't have to take any more classes this week. Last night I got to go home and cook dinner and stay home. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just replied to you while replying to another comment, but am unsure if you only see it when I reply to you. So I wanted to make sure. Thanks for your encouragement. I am still reading your archives, but I will catch up! In the meantime, I try to read your current posts (one day it will all connect for me).

      I don't know how much you have read, but I had been working 55-63 hour weeks before my daughter went to the hospital, so it seems like I haven't spent any time at home in forever. I get a little crazy when I can't be home, so I am so happy to be here.

      Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. Found your blog through Helen's. I was her first reader! Teehee! She is a great gal and so is Shelley. Very supportive ladies.

    I am glad that Stephanie gets to come home. Poor thing has been through the wringer lately. Hope she recovers soon.

    P.S. This is YOUR blog so you can write any length post any time of day or night. It is a tool for YOU so don't fret about how long your posts are :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen and Katie. I have been reading your blog too, Katie -- just haven't commented on it yet. I am finding so much inspiration from both of your experiences (and Shelley's). It will take me a while to get to current, but I will! Thanks for your encouragement.

      Delete

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl