Search This Blog

Friday, June 8, 2012

Challenges, Challenges


This has been another challenging day, in some ways.  My daughter (Stephanie) went to get a medical test this morning.  They were not even able to complete the test because she could not hold down the barium mixture they had her drink.  They then sent her off for blood tests – “stat” – and then off to her doctor.  Her liver enzyme tests were almost 3 times the norm and they sent her to the ER for further testing and possible admission.  I came and joined her at the ER.  It was a frustrating afternoon at the ER.  They don’t really know what is wrong with her.  There was yet another test they could not complete because they gave her barium for the test that morning and she could not hold it down.  But there was enough still in her system to interfere with the contrast CT scan they wanted to do.  They ended up sending her home with pain meds, nausea meds, and medicine to calm the spasms in her stomach (abdomen?), etc.  She will have the test in a couple of days when that stuff is out of her system.

The pain med they gave her through her IV caused a bad reaction and she was very irritable, restless and generally hard to be around.  Not to mention, she was extremely hungry because she had not been able to eat for three days.  She has lost 9 pounds.  All of this made for a very unpleasant afternoon.  I hate emergency rooms, and I have spent a lot of time in them.

I did take my walk last night and so had an off-day on workouts today.  That was good, considering how the day turned out.  Food-wise, I did pretty well.  I had breakfast of a protein bar and some cantaloupe.  However, I was hungry by about 10:30.  I am going to have to find a different breakfast, because it is not doing it for me anymore.  I have some ideas of what I am going to do there.  I was trying to hold out to go get my sandwich until Noon when I got the call from my daughter.  So I left the office at Noon and had not eaten when I got to the hospital.  Fortunately, this hospital has very good food in their cafeteria.  (It is very sad that I know that; I am quite familiar with a lot of hospitals around Dallas.)  Bethany went and got us something to eat and brought me a salad that had mixed field greens, roasted red pepper, artichokes, grilled chicken, mushrooms, and a boiled egg.  My dressing was Ken’s lite Italian, which they had in packets (60 calories).  That was my lunch.  Mid-afternoon I was hungry and I went down to the cafeteria and got me a little container of grapes.  For dinner we stopped at Chipotle and I got two “tacos” with corn tortillas, fajita chicken and vegetables, pico de gallo, about a tablespoon total of grated cheese and a tablespoon of guacamole on each.  They were yummy and about 360 calories.  I was still a little hungry when I got home and had a protein bar.  So, really, I have done quite well and I think I could eat a serving of fruit tonight without overdoing it.

Hope so.  Weigh-in is tomorrow.

I’m going to call it a day.  My head keeps nodding forward because I am falling asleep.  Have a great great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl