Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Each Day is Important (May 15, 2012)

Well, here I am, working late again.  Hopefully not too long, but Jerry is still meeting with a couple of other attorneys and I haven't gotten a feel for when he will be winding down.  No big deal, except I am hungry right now.

We had a busy lunch hour getting ready for a hearing and they brought in food.  I was able to get a "Skinny Turkey" sub from Potbelly.  I checked the calories and it was even lower than what I have been getting from Subway (but didn't have as many veggies on it, which is probably why I am hungry).  But I was able to stay on plan, anyway.

I have the picture my girls gave me for Mother's Day (the one that says, "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step") up where I can see it when I am riding my recumbent bike.  It sparked the following thoughts this morning.  Of course, I am relating it to my "500 days to where I want to be" concept.  If you never have your first successful day, you will never complete your 500 days.  Also, if you don't make it through your 18th day, for example, you will never make it through your 418th day.  I don't want to be too rigid.  I know there are days when I will go off plan -- either on purpose or just by having a bad day.  But I want to remember how very important each and every day is.  It is all the successful days put together that will get me to where I want to go.  Even though, if I mess up on the 18th day, I can pick it back up the next day and still get to 500 days, it is imperative I get through that 18th day in order to get through days 19-500.  I have to look at each day as very important.  That is why being able to check off each successful day is very motivating to me.  If I don’t get through day 1, I can’t get to day 500.  If I don’t get through day 18, I can’t get through day 418.  I can make a choice to let day 18 wait until the next day, but I ultimately have to get through day 18 if I am to go the distance.  Today is day 18!

I have a sign up on my refrigerator that I put there the first of this year.  It says something like, “On this day next year, you will be glad you started today.”  And it is true.  I wish now I had started (and kept going) on the day I put up that sign.  I would have that many days behind me (that six months – almost – I was wishing for yesterday).  I don’t want to keep pushing this off over and over in the future.  I want to get this done, so I can feel better in every way.  So I want to make every day count unless there is a good reason I choose to veer off the road for a day or two.  I can decide it is worth it to take a day off, but for the most part, I want to keep moving toward my goal – no more putting it off.

I started out yesterday thinking, "I feel pretty good -- I think I am getting better."  But sometime in the afternoon, I stood up and the pain had amped up again.  I don't know what sets it off sometimes.  I did nothing I know of that should have set it off.  By the time I went to bed, my back was hurting pretty bad.  It has been moderate today.  I wondered if it was the shoes I wore yesterday, which were basic pumps with a medium heel, but my feet were hurting because they are a half size smaller than I usually buy and they were rubbing my toes, etc.  Maybe I walked in such a way, because my feet were bothering me, that set the back pain off.  I don't know.  Sometimes you can't figure out why it is all of a sudden worse again.  But I will watch the shoes I wear from now on.  Right now, when I stand up, the pain running down the back of both legs is pretty intense -- about a 7 on a scale from 1 to 10, so not fun.  This is a big motivation.  But it is also what keeps me from getting other types of exercise.

My workout went better this morning.  It has been difficult the last few days, for some reason.  I was getting tired more easily.  It felt better this morning.  Thank goodness I can do the recumbent bike.  I will just have to do that until I am better enough to do some other types of exercise.

Have a great evening everyone.  Hopefully I will get to go home soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl