Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A Day in the Life of Sheryl (May 8, 2012)

I haven't fully figured out how to work this blog program.  You can find my background information by running your mouse over the colored bar under the title.  There are pages for "Background," "Weight Chart," "My Plan" and "Pictures."  I can't figure out how to make them visible all the time, but I am sure I will eventually.  I haven't seen a weight loss blog from someone who is struggling with significant physical issues like mine.
Yesterday was Day 10 of my journey.  I am happy to say it was a successful day.
The day started at 5:00 a.m. with my usual pain in the morning.  The pain is such that it is difficult to walk across the room.  Bearing weight can be very painful, especially if I have been sedentary for a long time.  I don’t always start the morning with pain medication, but it felt necessary yesterday.
I decided last week that my attitude had to be that there would never be any question as to whether there would be a workout on a weekday morning.  No matter how much I want to not do one, that is out of the question.  So I got on my (recumbent exercise) bike and did 30 minutes.  My current workout is to do 5 minutes at a resistance of 6 (6R), speed of around 10 or 11 throughout workout, then 1 minute at 11R, 4 minutes at 6R, 1 min. at 11R, etc. until I have completed 30 minutes.  Sometimes I have to get up and let the dog out, turn off the bath water, or take a 3 second breather after the higher intensity minute, and I make up those seconds lost at the end, so I actually went about 30’30”.  This routine is challenging, but doable.  I work up a good healthy sweat.  I feel my core engage, especially on the higher resistance.  This is good – it is good for my lower back.  I am trying to build up to the built-in interval programs that came with my bike.  I still have a little ways to go.
I have been listening to Daily Audio Bible (DAB) during my workouts.  This is my time to get in the Word.  I know from life-long experience this is not something I will be able to accomplish in my own strength.  I am trying to walk in dependence upon God.  I pray that He will give me strength to do what I need to do today.

Got ready, gathered up and got off to work.  I have to prepare for a long day.  I never know when I will get off in the evening, so I take food for breakfast, lunch and dinner, in case I have to work that late.  Right now, that just involves a protein bar, 2 bags of baked chips and whatever fruit I am choosing to eat with my lunch.  I pick up my sandwiches at a Subway across the street from my building (my "Plan" page will explain my current plan).  I carpool with my daughter right now, and get to work at 8:00 a.m. (to accommodate her schedule).

Not a particularly busy day, and I was feeling really tired and sleepy.  I gave in, mid-afternoon, and got me a SF Red Bull.  I really need to break this “habit” again, but it is so hard when I am this sleepy.  My boss called about 4:00 (he had been out most of the day) and asked if I could stay a little late.  Of course, I said yes.  That is part of my job, and I knew it would be that way when I accepted the position.  (The extra hours have helped me support my single-parent household in the past few years, so I am grateful.)  I worked until 7:30 p.m.

About 7:00, I was in the mail room sending a fax.  There is a huge jar of jelly beans and a bowl of snack size Reese cups.  I must admit, I ate one Reese cup, but made myself stop at one (that’s good for me!).  I adjusted the type of sandwich I had later to accommodate these calories.  (I thought they had about 60 calories, but after looking them up, found out they have 90 calories!  Definitely not worth it.)  However, I finished the day within my calorie limit.  Got home about 8:30 p.m., so no evening workout.  I am banking on the belief that I will have two evenings during the rest of the week when I can get a workout done and meet my goal of 10 30-minute workouts per week.  With the one I had that morning, I had four so far for the week.

My pain was actually pretty good throughout the day.  Better than it has been.  I met each element of my plan, so 10 days down, 490 to go!  (You will see what that means when I get my background information posted.)

I will try not to make every entry this long.  I feel some explanation is in order at first to get a good picture of where I am beginning.  I journal almost every day, but I will probably not blog that often.  I don’t want it to get too bogged down.  I will try to share the highlights of my journaling, my progress, what I am learning, etc.  As my background and first day entry show, I have been struggling with this process for a long, long time.  I have certain physical issues that are complicating my progress.  I have been through a lot of necessary emotional healing, but there is still more to be done.  I work long hours.  But I am determined to be proactive in making the changes needed to overcome this life-long struggle.  My health and happiness depend on it.

Blessings to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and read every one! However, if you are trying to sell me or my readers something, your comment will be deleted posthaste. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you receive encouragement from it. --Sheryl